Ten Games In: Initial Impressions?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

How have the Devils performed so far against your expectations?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How have the Devils performed so far against your expectations?

• Well Above what I expected
    • Above what I expected
    • On par with what I expected
    • Below what I expected
    • Well below what I expected
    • I thought the team would be in Kansas City by now

I'm tired of people putting the blame for Kovalchuk's play on his linemates. Yes, it would be nice if his linemates were better. The whole reason you sign someone for big money is so that that player can play on an island if need be.

Not true. We signed Kovy for his goal scoring but then decided we wanted him to be an elite two-way forward. We're changing the player we signed for big money and wondering why we aren't seeing the same player we saw in Atlanta. If you want him to score more, while being responsible... you need someone else to get him the puck, since he can't just play on his own blue line waiting for a pass to come his way.

Elias is doing well playing center... but I still think Kovy needs that NHL elite center to pair up with. Parise and Zajac have good chemistry and they will be fine once they both shake their rust.

Here is another point of view. DeBoer needs to get back to the basics, reset the lines to what works and then focus on the one that doesn't. Here is what was working:

Elias-Sykora-Zubrus (works and scores)

Tedenby-Henrique-Clarkson (works and scores)

Janssen-Mills-Boulton-Carter-Pelley (works and brings energy)

Kovy-Parise-Palmieri (not working)

Now you notice one thing, we are getting plenty of secondary support. Devils only need to get their Primary scorers to start scoring. I think its actually that simple with the Devils forwards. Stick with what works, and let Kovy/Parise/Palmieri just rough it out for atleast two games and force them to build chemistry.

The Defense, I really dont know what to say here, so this is just some things I would like to see. Consistency in pinching and jumping into the play, carry the play up the ice instead of looking for that long pass all the time. If they consistently jump up in the play, the forwards will consistently come back to defend and will become a habit, because the D hesitates or become passive at times, it hurts the rhythm and creates a certain level of confusion.

Disclaimer: The opinion presented above is that of the author's alone, any likeness to Einstein is purely co-incidental.

Not true. We signed Kovy for his goal scoring but then decided we wanted him to be an elite two-way forward. We're changing the player we signed for big money and wondering why we aren't seeing the same player we saw in Atlanta. If you want him to score more, while being responsible... you need someone else to get him the puck, since he can't just play on his own blue line waiting for a pass to come his way.

Kovalchuk is not playing that much differently than how he played in Atlanta. Plus, he actually scored more last year when he was backchecking harder. And I'm not willing to chalk that all up to Travis Zajac. Right now Kovalchuk is getting the shots but they're not going in.

One thing I haven't seen Kovalchuk doing is flying the zone when he thinks his team will get the puck - I don't know if that's a good or bad thing (probably neither, honestly)

Elias is doing well playing center... but I still think Kovy needs that NHL elite center to pair up with. Parise and Zajac have good chemistry and they will be fine once they both shake their rust.

Well, you'll have to wait a long time then, because I don't see one of these falling into NJ's lap.

This team is playing exactly how a team built by Lou should be playing. No excitement, no intensity, no individuality and no leadership. I watched the River Rats play for years, they didn’t emphasize winning. The mission was to train players to become part of the machine and weed out the ones who wouldn’t or couldn’t play that way. Now that empty, emotionless philosophy has come home to roost.

Ultimately, this team is going nowhere with Lou at the helm. His smothering, disciplined organizational philosophy sucks the spark and individuality out of players and the team.....no facial hair allowed huh? Great rule, how’s that working out for you Lou?

No creativity on the power play? Maybe players are afraid to break out of their assigned roles for fear of bringing down the wrath of Lou. He might take the tomatoes or lettuce out of their sandwiches. Maybe send them to bed without milk and cookies. Does this team look like they are having fun on the ice? I don’t think so. How does the saying go? “ winning is fun and you have to have fun to win”. The Devils have no chemistry, intensity or excitement. They sign an elite, high scoring forward and immediately begin the process of breaking him down and making him adapt to “Devil’s hockey” instead of working to bring out the player’s individual strengths.

Leadership, intensity, focus, drive to win? I can’t ever remember Scott Stevens giggling and yukking it up on the ice during a face-off like we saw Parise doing last night in the third period. Especially when LOSING. Way to show how much you care. Steven’s nickname was Capt. Crunch, maybe Parise should be Capt. Giggles.

Lou rode the coat tails of some fantastic players. Most have retired and Brodeur is in his achy-breaky twilight years. Three cups made Lou look like a genius....until Stevens and Niedermeyer left.

Times have changed, players have changed and most importantly, the game has changed.

Lou hasn’t changed. Until management gets with the new NHL, expect the same old status quo.

Edited by dantesinferno

Kovalchuk is not playing that much differently than how he played in Atlanta. Plus, he actually scored more last year when he was backchecking harder. And I'm not willing to chalk that all up to Travis Zajac. Right now Kovalchuk is getting the shots but they're not going in.

Except those shots are so predictable that they need to handcuff the goalie to get by. It's almost the same problem we had with Rolston. You see the setup the entire time, and there is no deviation from that plan. chase the puck around along the boards... and then throw it to the point where Kovy will try to fire it in as hard as he can. At least he hits the goalie rather than Rolston's hitting the glass... but it's not going to get the job done.

Kovalchuk has 2 goals and is a team worst -7.... that sucks!!! He is supposed to be our goal scorer ? LOL

Hes got a team leading 5 assists, but if we're looking at stats, take away an EN and Zach only has 3 goals, and only 1 assist. Neither of our offensive "superstars" are performing right now. Patty is the only offensive player who has shown even an iota of consistency. There are also lots of really good players around the league off to slow starts this year. I don't think Kovy nor Zach are solely at fault, but both carry equal burden. Zach has been much better outside of scoring, but thats still a huge part of why we're wanting to keep him around for the foreseeable future.

As for 10 games in, its still too small a sample size. I dont think this team has a lot of talent depth. I think they're going to be really streaky. Its just still too early to say. I am not happy with the production and that has to change.

If only we had kept Trent Hunter :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:

Trent Hunter is doing okay. I'd prefer him over Janssen or Boulton.

We're pretty much the same as we were last year. Only differences: 2010-2011: Horrible 2nd Period team, Now: Horrible 3rd period team. 2010-2011, Zero dominant wins, Now: 2 dominant wins, 2 by luck, the rest coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Except those shots are so predictable that they need to handcuff the goalie to get by. It's almost the same problem we had with Rolston. You see the setup the entire time, and there is no deviation from that plan. chase the puck around along the boards... and then throw it to the point where Kovy will try to fire it in as hard as he can. At least he hits the goalie rather than Rolston's hitting the glass... but it's not going to get the job done.

Here's something funny, though - Rolston was 2nd on the Devils in power play shooting percentage. (And we also know that Rolston doesn't miss the net more than league average, at least not at even strength).

I'm not saying the plan to get the puck in to Rolston was a good one, because last year's power play was not very good. Nor am I disagreeing that setting up that particular shot to Kovalchuk is not necessarily a great long-term strategy. But the Devils power play isn't generating enough shots, period. Kovalchuk can beat goalies from out there, but more importantly, his shot can generate rebounds. Last night was a good start - the power play looked different, and perhaps better.

Edited by Triumph