GDT: Boston Bruins @ NJ Devils

Steven M.

Anyone notice we finally put Larsson back on the PP and he gives up a breakaway that would have been a SH goal if time didn't expire. He is awful and needs to get sent down.

As of right now he is all we have. Once Greene comes back I would like to see him sent down for some time and leave Taormina up. His head is spinning out there.

it now seems like ANYONES slap shot or onetimer is getting blocked. its time to start faking the shots and stepping around we get SOOO many blocked shots, and it not just on the PP

and is foster the slowest player in the NHL? or does he just not care to get back. was he always slow or is it the leg break

it now seems like ANYONES slap shot or onetimer is getting blocked. its time to start faking the shots and stepping around we get SOOO many blocked shots, and it not just on the PP

and is foster the slowest player in the NHL? or does he just not care to get back. was he always slow or is it the leg break

It's not just that he's slow, he's also got zero lateral movement, hence my nickname 'the statue'.

...[bunch of complaining about ScoreMoreThan3]...

I like the guy. Especially after his decent reaction to a couple of you guys crapping on him.

He may be a bit over-emotional sometimes, but we're all fans here.

I like the guy. Especially after his decent reaction to a couple of you guys crapping on him.

I don't have anything against him personally. But I stand by what I said...I think he grew up in an era of seemingly endless Devils prosperity, and is not basing his expectations on reality. I responded as such.

Agree, I have no problems with venting. Its a messageboard! You should hear what I'm saying about my NY Jets on that board LOL

as long as we realize players are humans, and need to be treated with some sort of respect just like any other person

As of right now he is all we have. Once Greene comes back I would like to see him sent down for some time and leave Taormina up. His head is spinning out there.

My sense is that this sort of thing comes from bias. We're all watching the kid, since he was a #4 pick, and then there is the fact that he's a 19 year old kid... I just wonder, at this point, what good could putting him in the AHL would realistically do? I don't see any skill work he needs tutoring on, or anything like that. A demotion now seems more like some sort of punishment than anyting else.

I don't have anything against him personally. But I stand by what I said...I think he grew up in an era of seemingly endless Devils prosperity, and is not basing his expectations on reality. I responded as such.

He's not the only one. They'll get over it.

I kinda like being (back) in this position, but it's certainly not what most Devils fans these days are used to. Like I said way earlier in the thread, this reminds me of the late 80's. Ahhh, memories. :)

My sense is that this sort of thing comes from bias. We're all watching the kid, since he was a #4 pick, and then there is the fact that he's a 19 year old kid... I just wonder, at this point, what good could putting him in the AHL would realistically do? I don't see any skill work he needs tutoring on, or anything like that. A demotion now seems more like some sort of punishment than anyting else.

That may be true but how long do you go? He is raw. We all figured he would be because that comes with the whole draft straight into the line up thing. He needs some work. He was strong at the beginning and then slowly starting making more and more mistakes. Now it seems he makes more mistakes then he does brilliant plays. Its a tough call. Whatever would make him become a more well rounded player and more confident and comfortable is the way that needs to be taken, whether that is holding on and letting him learn the hard way or letting him spend some time down in Albany.

That may be true but how long do you go? He is raw. We all figured he would be because that comes with the whole draft straight into the line up thing. He needs some work. He was strong at the beginning and then slowly starting making more and more mistakes. Now it seems he makes more mistakes then he does brilliant plays. Its a tough call. Whatever would make him become a more well rounded player and more confident and comfortable is the way that needs to be taken, whether that is holding on and letting him learn the hard way or letting him spend some time down in Albany.

I'd do a tyler myers on him first, have him sit up in the box for a few games with a coach or ex-vet D-man and have him watch the situations unfold from a comfy seat. I think thats a good strategy for a young kid

He's not the only one. They'll get over it.

I kinda like being (back) in this position, but it's certainly not what most Devils fans these days are used to. Like I said way earlier in the thread, this reminds me of the late 80's. Ahhh, memories. :)

It's all a cycle...the Devils weren't going to stay at the top of the heap forever. They had a hell of a run, regardless of the recent playoff struggles.

There was something a little more compelling about the late 80s teams...I think part of it is because, back then, just finishing with respectable records was an achievement in itself...especially since the franchise had never done that before (it took the franchise three cities and 14 years just to finish two games over .500). I remember looking at the standings and seeing the teams with 45-55 wins, and wondering what it would be like to have a team with a record like THAT. That's part of what made '93-'94 so much fun, in that the Devils FINALLY became one of THOSE teams.

I don't think they're on the cusp of multiple lousy years in the order of the Scouts/Rockies/early Devils...those teams often had no hope and no chance. There's already bright spots, and it won't be long before the last of the staples we've been so used to seeing year after year (Elias and Brodeur) will be gone, so this will truly be someone else's team before long...who will that be? It's an exciting question for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't like the "you must be a young fan" stereotype. I'm only 21. Obviously, I've grown up with nothing but the Devils winning. That doesn't mean I am an idiot who feels some sense of entitlement just because of our previous successes... it's in the past. Anyone who actually understands hockey can see what this team is. One that's going to battle every night whether we're playing the Blue Skirts or the Blue Jackets. It's gonna be a fight no matter what. So... no expected automatic 82 wins here... I also try not to get too busted up over losses. That's why they play 82 of these things, right?

I don't like the "you must be a young fan" stereotype. I'm only 21. Obviously, I've grown up with nothing but the Devils winning. That doesn't mean I am an idiot who feels some sense of entitlement just because of our previous successes... it's in the past. Anyone who actually understands hockey can see what this team is. One that's going to battle every night whether we're playing the Blue Skirts or the Blue Jackets. It's gonna be a fight no matter what. So... no expected automatic 82 wins here... I also try not to get too busted up over losses. That's why they play 82 of these things, right?

Didn't say it was ALL young fans who feel this way, but I do see the "Devils should keep being elite just because" attitude among that age group more than I do among the older fans. You're clearly not of that mindset.

Unless something changes your top 7 defensmen will be Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov, Salvador, Foster and Larsson. The only player I see getting sat before Larsson is Foster who mans the 1st PP unit. There is no chance in hell I want the 7th defensmen to be a 19 year old 4th overall pick. If Larsson doesn't outplay Foster there is a very good chance he gets sent down to the AHL until the playoffs. Taormina is the ideal age and type of player to be a 7th defensmen. He can plug into any hole in the lineup. This would require our bandaid defense to be healthy.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Unless something changes your top 7 defensmen will be Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov, Salvador, Foster and Larsson. The only player I see getting sat before Larsson is Foster who mans the 1st PP unit. There is no chance in hell I want the 7th defensmen to be a 19 year old 4th overall pick. If Larsson doesn't outplay Foster there is a very good chance he gets sent down to the AHL until the playoffs. Taormina is the ideal age and type of player to be a 7th defensmen. He can plug into any hole in the lineup. This would require our bandaid defense to be healthy.

well to be fair this summer nobody here would have picked a 21 years old 3rd round pick to be our top center either lol

Didn't say it was ALL young fans who feel this way, but I do see the "Devils should keep being elite just because" attitude among that age group more than I do among the older fans. You're clearly not of that mindset.

I agree. Stereotyping this is certainly bad, but... it's usually fairly easy to pick out the kids. I guess that seeing that attitude just doesn't bother me, is all (which is where my earlier "they'll get over it" was coming from).

Anyway, I agree "There was something a little more compelling about the late 80s teams". There was a feeling of being on the ground floor of something great that was being built, for one thing (which certainly worked out). The players back then... maybe it's my memories being colored with foreknowledge now, but it feels like a lot of them had a bit more cachet to them, or something. I don't know, but the point is that I definitely agree.

I doubt that Foster will be resigned... unless Lou can resign him for less than $1 mil per, which probably won't happen because he's playing decently for the Devils so other teams will have some interest in him.

WOW, What a crappy game. I switched after the 3rd goal to watch the Montreal/Winnipeg game which definitely had a similar outcome for the Jets (except more scoring). Speaking of scoring, where was it? I know the team lost 6-1, but there was no real spark or jump to get anything going minus Elias. I found a lot of the forwards seemed "vanilla" on doing much and this was not limited to Kovalchuk (who we all know I "love" and "cherish").

As for the Defense, I think they are playing at the best they can. When it comes to Andy Greene as your number 1 guy, there is a problem. Greene is a good player, just not a #1 yet here we are...

I think it is time to break up the top line. When Zajac is healthy we have the talent to role 3 very solid lines. If Zajac is healthy enough, I think he needs to be put with Parise or Kovy with Henrique centering the other one. This top line just doesn't work together. Kovy is trying but this line does not suit his game at all and it hurts Parise's on top of that.

This crappy 4th line has to go too. Eric Boulton is truly awful. We'll soon have the talent to role 4 very solid lines. We have had no need all year for 1, let alone 2, goons in the lineup. Every Cam fight has been staged.

I agree. I'm about done with the top line. It's OK, but sometimes I think Zach and Kovy could do better if they were split up.

GS has actually put together a pretty good team and a lot of players would really like to play for GS's organization.

Remember it's Lou who made the baffling decision to sign to Goons to play on the 4th line and didn't make any attempt at getting a backup goaltender who isn't on the downside of his career.

I mean Hedberg is good but there's no way we should have a goalie tandem that's the equivalent of the two old guys in the balcony of the Muppet Show.

old+men.jpg

I have never said, but thought the same thing except I don't think they laugh nearly enough as those two. Call me crazy on that one!

Oh and Kovy giving the puck over... is classic form for him. Not picking, but merely stating the factual truth backed up by numerous videos. I wish it was different, I wish he would learn, and I wish our PP was far better, but here we sit and there they Shit!

Edited by Chorske17
  • Like 1

I doubt that Foster will be resigned... unless Lou can resign him for less than $1 mil per, which probably won't happen because he's playing decently for the Devils so other teams will have some interest in him.

What? You tell two people to read a statistics book then you make this post.

What? You tell two people to read a statistics book then you make this post.

Meaning? What, you think Lou should sign him for 6 years at $2.5 mil each, or soemthing?

Did anyone see when Kovy was out with elias and sykora for that one shift last night? They were dominating the play same with zubrus with henrique and parise they were working good.

I want these!

Parise Henrique Zubrus

Kovalchuk Elias Sykora

Tedenby Zajac Clarkson

Sestito Carter Zalewski

When JoJo gets back...

Parise Zajac Henrique

Kovalchuk Elias Sykora

Zubrus Josefson Clarkson

Tedenby Carter Zalewski/Zharkov/Palmieri but we all know its sestito janssen or boulton :angry:

Edited by Zubie#8

Other way, chap.

Which is exactly what I said... ?

:blink:

A couple of you guys seem to just like to argue. Don't try putting words in my mouth, please.

Did anyone see when Kovy was out with elias and sykora for that one shift last night? They were dominating the play same with zubrus with henrique and parise they were working good.

I did. I hope DeBoer gives that a second look (I suspect that it wasn't really planned, though. Didn't that happen because Kovy get caught out on the ice during a change?).

Edited by ohms law