NFL Week 11!

CRASHER

8-8 for the Jets

they'll lose to NE this week...beat the Cards/Jags/Titans to get to 7-7. Lose to SD to break everyone's hearts, beat Buffalo in a meaningless game.

That said, if 8-8 is rock bottom in the rex ryan era, I can deal with that. Better than rock bottom under kotite/carroll/coslett/walton/edwards

Edited by '7'

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my guess is 7-9, 8-8 with them too....they either get everything going and blow a team out or just look awful and lose....it's a talent issue with the Jets plain and simple....

And the ones that are good lack to the true pass rush to make them dangerous too....

I just looked up the passer numbers from 2002:

Exactly one QB had a passer rating better than 100. His name was Chad Pennington.

Exactly four QBs passed for over 4000 yards.

Tom Brady led the NFL in TD passes with a whopping 28 of them. Drew Brees has 28 TD passes this season already.

Said it before but I'll say it again...balance needs to be restored to this game. Though the scores aren't AFL and CFL bloated (not yet), it's slanted too much towards the offense right now. Defenses need to be allowed to defend again.

8-8 for the Jets

they'll lose to NE this week...beat the Cards/Jags/Titans to get to 7-7. Lose to SD to break everyone's hearts, beat Buffalo in a meaningless game.

That said, if 8-8 is rock bottom in the rex ryan era, I can deal with that. Better than rock bottom under kotite/carroll/coslett/walton/edwards

I said at the beginning of the year that if the Jets went 2-2 or even 1-3 vs Pittsburgh, Houston, San Fran and NE, they would make the playoffs. They had/have a total of 6 really tough games: NE x2, Houston, Pittsburgh, San Fran and Seattle (on the road) and are probably gonna go 0-6 in those. They dont deserve to make it based on that alone

I just looked up the passer numbers from 2002:

Exactly one QB had a passer rating better than 100. His name was Chad Pennington.

Exactly four QBs passed for over 4000 yards.

Tom Brady led the NFL in TD passes with a whopping 28 of them. Drew Brees has 28 TD passes this season already.

Said it before but I'll say it again...balance needs to be restored to this game. Though the scores aren't AFL and CFL bloated (not yet), it's slanted too much towards the offense right now. Defenses need to be allowed to defend again.

yes agreed. The PI is getting ridiculous...reminds me of 1994 when the NFL had a massive down year in scoring the prior season (I swear the Jets won a game 3-0 and there were plenty of 9-6, 10-3 type games) so they amped up PI rules and all of a sudden QB's started hitting 4,000 yards again)

The corner-backs need to be allowed to truly defend...an errant hand that grazes the QB's helmet on a follow through shouldn't be roughing the passer. Spears to the head on defenseless receivers should remain penalties, but clean shoulder hits should be legal. Those are 15's that are tacked on all the time to keep drives alive.

Also players are faster, but they also wear practically no equipment. A receiver nowadays is running around out there in a small pair of shoulder pads and THAT'S IT. Nothing on the thighs, shins, no cups...and we wonder why there are so many injuries.

Why do you think horse collar tackles have become such an epidemic...because the jerseys are too tight. Back before everyone wore skin tight unitards, you could grab a piece of a jersey to slow a guy down...now they have very little to grab on to...so you have guys getting pulled down by the collar, or just flat out getting speared in the head. It's tough to wrap up a guy...so they just try and knock him out

Edited by '7'

Like I said weeks ago, Kapernick is an absolute stud who should be starting while Smith was holding the team back. And tonight the Smith era is probably over. Just goes to show why QBs will do anything to hide an injury or concussion. Smith probably knew his starting job would be done if he ever missed a game.

The 49ers were 6-2-1 with Smith this season, and he had had only one game that could really be considered dreadful (against the Giants). I know he'll never be a fan favorite out there in SF because it took so long for him to get his game going, and even now he's not a guy who's going to put up monster numbers, but the 49ers were 19-5-1 in the regular since the beginning of last season, going into last night's game...it's not like Smith's presence was killing his team.

Kaepernick had a terrific game yesterday, but I don't think Smith loses his job based on one game, especially when he wasn't really slumping before he got hurt.

EDIT: Apparently Harbaugh has said that he plans to go with the "hot hand"...not hard to read between the lines, with the game Kaepernick just had...tough break for Smith, but it's not like there aren't teams that could use a QB...even if he loses his job in SF permanently, he's done enough that he'll get a shot somewhere else.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm not gonna look too much into that game from a 49ers end....the Bears offense (mostly that O-Line) was so PATHETIC it looked like the Niner D got bored and was just throwing O-Line players at Campbell just to mess with him.....when your offense is THAT bad and your D is on the field all night long....they're gonna run dead and the Niners were just eventually going to impose their will on them, especially with their style of play....they go to New Orleans this week....not the 86 Bears, but he's gonna have to keep up score for score with the Saints....if he does THAT, then we can start talking about him......

The 49ers were 6-2-1 with Smith this season, and he had had only one game that could really be considered dreadful (against the Giants). I know he'll never be a fan favorite out there in SF because it took so long for him to get his game going, and even now he's not a guy who's going to put up monster numbers, but the 49ers were 19-5-1 in the regular since the beginning of last season, going into last night's game...it's not like Smith's presence was killing his team.

Kaepernick had a terrific game yesterday, but I don't think Smith loses his job based on one game, especially when he wasn't really slumping before he got hurt.

EDIT: Apparently Harbaugh has said that he plans to go with the "hot hand"...not hard to read between the lines, with the game Kaepernick just had...tough break for Smith, but it's not like there aren't teams that could use a QB...even if he loses his job in SF permanently, he's done enough that he'll get a shot somewhere else.

I have this weird vested interest in Smith in that I thought he would be really good coming out of college and thought he would be better than Rodgers. It might also have something to do with the Phins passing up on Rodgers that I don't like seeing Rodgers succeed, and by some strange transitive logic wanting Smith to play well.

It's unfortunate for Smith. He was immediately thrown into the fire and got the crap knocked out of him for several years with I forget how many head coaches and offensive coordinators. If he ultimately gets cut by the Niners, he's either going to be a full-time back up or start again with a crappy team that doesn't have a QB (KC maybe?).

But yeah, I think Smith is gone. Harbaugh never thought much of him coming in. That's why they drafted Kaepernick in the first place.

I'd take Alex Smith on the Jets in a heartbeat. If we re-establish that running game/D style team we had in 09/10 then Alex Smith will be the perfect mistake free caretaker Qb that we need.

I hadn't thought about the Jets, which would be a good idea for both sides.

Smith also has above-average mobility, which you can't say about Sanchez.

Sanchez scored six TD's running last year, he has enough mobility, which is another reason why the Tebow red zone offense was ill-conceived.

Thing is the Jets always got scared to death about him taking hits out of the pocket (I think they even had Joe Girardi or one of the Yankees teaching him how to slide his rookie year lol) and have pretty much chained him there as a pocket passer other than the occasional designed bootleg.

Sanchez is mobile...I mean he's no Steve Young. His issue is having no pocket presence...if he had more of an idea what was going on around him he could use his legs to buy more time.

I'd take Alex Smith on the Jets in a heartbeat. If we re-establish that running game/D style team we had in 09/10 then Alex Smith will be the perfect mistake free caretaker Qb that we need.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, that Smith could be a good fit for the Jets. I didn't mention it because I think the Jets are going to give Tebow the first crack as the starting QB if they bail on Sanchez, no matter what. They'd be wrong to do it, and if Smith becomes available, they should really re-think their stupid fascination with Tebow. At any rate, I have a feeling Smith would get a shot to start for another team before Sanchez would...at the very least, I think a team looking for a starting QB would take Smith over Sanchez.

Smith is guaranteed eight million next year and Kapernick is still on his entry deal....this won't happen this season or next regardless of results.....

This season: definitely not, though it seems like everyone in SF wants Kap to take the job and run with it, which may mean Smith may never get his job back (raw deal for him, but it happens...just ask Drew Bledsoe).

Next season, if Kap already has the job...I don't see how/why they hang onto Smith...he's not a David Carr, failed starter-type hoping to catch on somewhere as a backup so he can stay in the league. Even if SF isn't in his corner, he's had some success, and as we saw with Matt Cassel and others, some success is all you need to get QB-starved teams to bite.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This season: definitely not, though it seems like everyone in SF wants Kap to take the job and run with it, which may mean Smith may never get his job back (raw deal for him, but it happens...just ask Drew Bledsoe).

Next season, if Kap already has the job...I don't see how/why they hang onto Smith...he's not a David Carr, failed starter-type hoping to catch on somewhere as a backup so he can stay in the league. Even if SF isn't in his corner, he's had some success, and as we saw with Matt Cassel and others, some success is all you need to get QB-starved teams to bite.

Most of the time that's a salary cap thing....having a capable NFL backup is GOLD in this league ask Chicago, KC, Phily and Pittsburgh (twice :P)

If they can afford to keep both they'd be pretty foolish to go all in on just one of them though.....

Alex Smith would not bring anything new to the table. Smith would inherit the same problems that Sanchez already has: No running game, no WR's, and mediocre OL. Smith success has a lot to do with having teams key on Frank Gore. You won't get that with the Jets.

This is a crazy assumption that the Jets will make no changes in the off-season. Which they will. Whoever is quarterbacking the Jets is already getting Holmes back, which is a big upgrade

Smith is just a flat out better decision maker. I can't see him throwing the idiotic pick that we saw on the goal line in Seattle....or the one in the endzone in Miami. Those are ALL on Sanchez

Edited by '7'

Most of the time that's a salary cap thing....having a capable NFL backup is GOLD in this league ask Chicago, KC, Phily and Pittsburgh (twice :P)

If they can afford to keep both they'd be pretty foolish to go all in on just one of them though.....

Goes back to what Smith is though. He's not a failed starter, like so many back-ups are. He's shown he can play. He should be a starting QB.

It's funny, I was thinking I have no idea what Ryan Mallett is, if Brady should ever go down, but in ways I think I'd almost prefer that, not knowing. So many backups are Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich types, where you know if they're coming into the game for you, there's simply no chance...they're not any good and never really were. At least with a guy like Mallett, there's a maybe, who knows? feeling, as opposed to knowing for sure that the backup flat-out sucks.

This is a crazy assumption that the Jets will make no changes in the off-season. Which they will. Whoever is quarterbacking the Jets is already getting Holmes back, which is a big upgrade

Smith is just a flat out better decision maker. I can't see him throwing the idiotic pick that we saw on the goal line in Seattle....or the one in the endzone in Miami. Those are ALL on Sanchez

Agree, Jets will not be the same team next season.

Why is it crazy?

Last year you had an obvious problem on the offensive line, no running game and you had a WR/Captain who provided turmoil in the lockerroom. What did they do? The traded for a punt protector, who they thought could sell tickets and merchandise to non-football fans. I am sure the plan for next year is to sign Terrell Owens and make a splash on the backpages.

Your assertion about Smith is kind of silly too. Even two years ago he was considered a "bust". He didn't develop until last year (when they had a running game) and even then they waited to see if they could sign anyone better this off-season and the season before. Even now his starting status is being questioned because a rookie QB has the potential to do a better job. He ranks on par with the likes of Kevin Kolb than he does with his draft class brother Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by MantaRay

Why is it crazy?

Last year you had an obvious problem on the offensive line, no running game and you had a WR/Captain who provided turmoil in the lockerroom. What did they do? The traded for a punt protector, who they thought could sell tickets and merchandise to non-football fans. I am sure the plan for next year is to sign Terrell Owens and make a splash on the backpages.

A lot of good free agent receivers and running backs out there, although I don't know the Jets cap situation. WR free agents include Jennings, Wallace, Bowe. RBs include Felix Jones. I'd love one of these guys on Dolphins.

Why is it crazy?

Your assertion about Smith is kind of silly too. Even two years ago he was considered a "bust". He didn't develop until last year (when they had a running game) and even then they waited to see if they could sign anyone better this off-season and the season before. Even now his starting status is being questioned because a rookie QB has the potential to do a better job. He ranks on par with the likes of Kevin Kolb than he does with his draft class brother Aaron Rodgers.

C'mon, Kolb has never had a year like Smith's this season and last. Has Kolb ever been the starting QB for a team that reached the NFC finals? No one's saying Smith is an elite QB, but he has shown the ability to be at least accurate and competent the past couple of years. There are teams out there that would happily take that over what they currently have.

I don't know Manta...yes, the Jets have issues, but it seems like you're piling on them lately for the sake of piling on, every chance you get. No, Tebow hasn't worked out for the Jets, and they probably didn't bring him in for the right (on the field) reasons, but do Jet fans need to be reminded of it constantly? I'm guessing they're pretty aware of it by now.

The Jets in past years have added Tomlinson, Holmes, Edwards, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins etc. All those moves worked and made the Jets a better football club. Now granted you can't stock up every season like that, but traditionally they're not the type to not upgrade the roster.