The 2014 World Cup- Brazil

I don't watch as much soccer as some but I was really into it and bummed out. Howard gave an amazing performance. He was spectacular. A record 16 saves. Scintillating stuff. He deserved better. Belgium just had way too much possession and had our defenders on their heels. That Origi guy was pretty impressive. Beasley saved a goal diving into the net in the first half. Jones took a beating in extras. Wondolowski had such a great chance to win it. That would've been the Hollywood script. To win at the end of regulation. But it wasn't meant to be.

The frustrating aspect is how they played throughout until they were down 2-0 in the final 15-plus. Part of it was due to style and Belgium. You don't sit back and win in any sport. I felt like I was reliving the nightmare versus the Kings except Howard replaced Lundqvist on a futbol field. Then the 19-year old kid scores an awesome goal and they came so close on that set piece. They should've tied it. How crazy. That was an awesome game. A shame that the FIFA officials had to ruin the ending by giving us 1 freaking minute of bonus. Garbage.

Also caught the end of Argentina's fantastic win. I predicted they'd score before kicks. They had so many chances. Then Messi with just a fantastic play. So unselfish drawing 3 and a perfect one-time finish by Di Maria. Sweet!

The frustrating aspect is how they played throughout until they were down 2-0 in the final 15-plus. Part of it was due to style and Belgium. You don't sit back and win in any sport. I felt like I was reliving the nightmare versus the Kings except Howard replaced Lundqvist on a futbol field. Then the 19-year old kid scores an awesome goal and they came so close on that set piece. They should've tied it. How crazy. That was an awesome game. A shame that the FIFA officials had to ruin the ending by giving us 1 freaking minute of bonus. Garbage.

Funny you should say that...I was listening on the radio for part of the game and the fun Irish dude (Tommy Smyth) was doing the game on the radio and he actually made that comparison, in his accent saying 'Dis looks like Henrik Lundqvist in da Stanley Cup Finals'.  Which was really funny since I didn't think Tommy Smyth knew a hockey puck from a tennis ball :lol:

Crap, I wanted Argentina to go out. So far all the "Top" teams struggled in the round of 16 , but made it through. Lets hope the US can be the one team to knock out a group winner.

I forgot about that...strange that in a World Cup with obvious parity there wasn't an 'upset' of a group winner losing.

Honestly Argentina really HAS been a one-man team...and Messi's scoring has been remarkably well-timed.  I think their luck may run out against Belgium though.  It would be kinda cool to see Belgium-Holland in the semis considering that rivalry.  Holland-Argentina is definitely a good soccer rivalry too.

Watch Costa Rica spoil either 'dream' matchup though lol

Funny you should say that...I was listening on the radio for part of the game and the fun Irish dude (Tommy Smyth) was doing the game on the radio and he actually made that comparison, in his accent saying 'Dis looks like Henrik Lundqvist in da Stanley Cup Finals'.  Which was really funny since I didn't think Tommy Smyth knew a hockey puck from a tennis ball :lol:

I forgot about that...strange that in a World Cup with obvious parity there wasn't an 'upset' of a group winner losing.

Honestly Argentina really HAS been a one-man team...and Messi's scoring has been remarkably well-timed.  I think their luck may run out against Belgium though.  It would be kinda cool to see Belgium-Holland in the semis considering that rivalry.  Holland-Argentina is definitely a good soccer rivalry too.

Watch Costa Rica spoil either 'dream' matchup though lol

What do you expect from me. It seems like every game I watch is a reminder of them. The way they backed off and let Ronaldo set up the tying goal in the Portugal tie was galling. And the first 100 minutes it was basically like seeing an AV coached team try to cling on and only get chances on counter attacks off the rush like the one Wondo butchered. If I didn't know any better, he was Nash. :P

It was exciting to watch. Howard's goalkeeping was heroic. You had Beasley diving out of desperation to save a goal. I question the tactics. If Klinsmann was so good, why did it take so long for them to attack consistently? Or is it just that Belgium was much better? They dominated for good chunks. But then sat back and nearly paid the price. I have no idea why teams do this. It's like they're just begging for the opponent to tie it. We were down two in OT and that close to forcing kicks. If it gets there, I like our chances.

I kind of hope Argentina beats Belgium. Messi is awesome.

I'm sad to see the team not advance but Belgium deserved it, good for them. I have a lot of respect for some of the Belgiums, especially Fellaini and Januzaj so I wouldn't mind seeing them go on a run.

I hope Klinsmann sticks around as planned as I trust his vision for the program. He's done a lot of good in getting dual nationals to choose the US, starting a U21 program, and getting guys like Besler, Gonzalez, and Zusi to become important members of the team. Plus in addition to some of the younger players like Green, Yedlin, and Diskerud, they could end up with getting contributions from Agudelo and Pelosi in the future and Fagundez and Zelalem if they get their citizenship sorted. Looks like a bright future.

I'm sad to see the team not advance but Belgium deserved it, good for them. I have a lot of respect for some of the Belgiums, especially Fellaini and Januzaj so I wouldn't mind seeing them go on a run.

I hope Klinsmann sticks around as planned as I trust his vision for the program. He's done a lot of good in getting dual nationals to choose the US, starting a U21 program, and getting guys like Besler, Gonzalez, and Zusi to become important members of the team. Plus in addition to some of the younger players like Green, Yedlin, and Diskerud, they could end up with getting contributions from Agudelo and Pelosi in the future and Fagundez and Zelalem if they get their citizenship sorted. Looks like a bright future.

Belgium's two most useless players ? I wonder why :P

The USA played well, they refused to give up and I would have been proud if England had put in half the effort. Tim Howard was spectacular, if the USA could produce outfield players of the same quality as their keepers through the years they would be an international force.

We are down to 8:

Brazil vs Columbia

Costa Rica vs Holland

Argentina vs Belgium

Germany vs France

My picks for the Semi's:

Columbia

Holland

Belgium

France

Same here.  I heard an analyst on the FAN criticizing Klinnsman to no end saying he did nothing to improve the team since the last world cup when they won the group.  To get out of the group of death while Portugal, Spain and Italy already went home packing is an improvement to me.

The issue with USA is talent and compared to a lot of these powerhouses they just don't have it, at least not yet.  For those blaming Klinnsman they are just talking out of their asses.

Same here.  I heard an analyst on the FAN criticizing Klinnsman to no end saying he did nothing to improve the team since the last world cup when they won the group.  To get out of the group of death while Portugal, Spain and Italy already went home packing is an improvement to me.

The issue with USA is talent and compared to a lot of these powerhouses they just don't have it, at least not yet.  For those blaming Klinnsman they are just talking out of their asses.

I agree 100%, our technical skill is just not on par w/ the top 10.

Its gotten alot better, but we need to play 1 touch to breakdown the better teams and that just not an option right now, It was a great run, was just hoping for 1 more game! 

Alitodores injury really screwed everything up, made Dempsey play out of position, and the decision to use bradley as an attacking center mid was a mistake, he is really a holding mid and looked out of position.

Unfortunate US got eliminated but they really didn't deserve that game. Belgium completely took them to school and the game might've been over by halftime if not for Tim Howard. What a performance. That game is an instant classic if only for his play.

At least they beat the odds of getting out of the Group of Death, and did so without Altidore and a broken nose or two. Even though it's becoming time for guys like Howard, Dempsey, Beasley, etc. to pass the torch, I'm excited for the future of US Soccer -- Yedlin, Green, etc. 

Excited for Friday's games. Don't really care who wins France/Germany but it should be a hell of a game. Pulling for Colombia vs Brazil because they're in an easy underdog to cheer for. 

I've never been big on soccer but this World Cup has piqued my interest; I have followed the Red Bulls very casually throughout the years but I'd love to check out some of the European leagues -- EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc. If I understand the scheduling right I believe their seasons start in August?

Edited by nmigliore

I've never been big on soccer but this World Cup has piqued my interest; I have followed the Red Bulls very casually throughout the years but I'd love to check out some of the European leagues -- EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc. If I understand the scheduling right I believe their seasons start in August?

In terms of foreign leagues the English Premier League is the easiest to follow. It's from August to April and the bulk of the games are on Saturday and Sunday (a few Monday and midweek games mixed in) and they start anywhere from 7:30/8:30 AM and go until roughly 2:30 PM. NBC broadcasts the games on NBCSN and their main channel. For the games not on those they carry them on their app and overflow channels (for some providers). They also have a Match of the Day show which shows highlights from every game that day. It's excellent.

Fox Sports has the rights to the Bundesliga which they will start broadcasting in 2015-16. The USMNT has a fair amount of German-Americans that should still be playing in Germany in 2015 (Julian Green, John Brooks, Timothy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Terrence Boyd).

Liga MX (Mexico) has a lot of broadcast on US television. I just started following it this past year but ESPN has a few games and those Spanish channels (Univision?) carry a lot of the games on the weekend. There seasons is split into 2, it's kind of weird but it runs on the European schedule.

• Like 1

Then you have the European Master league... that is something to watch... The big tournament of best team all over Europe...

That way you will be able to watch Paris conquer the continent for the first time ; ) 

Oh and Eaglejelly.. You are dead to me .. DEAD !

(ahaha... i can't find any retaliation pic.... Germany ALWAYS wins versus us ; ) )

Then you have the European Master league... that is something to watch... The big tournament of best team all over Europe...

That way you will be able to watch Paris conquer the continent for the first time ; ) 

Oh and Eaglejelly.. You are dead to me .. DEAD !

(ahaha... i can't find any retaliation pic.... Germany ALWAYS wins versus us ; ) )

Not true, you beat us 6:3 in in the 3rd place match at the 1958 WC . Just Fontaine scored 4 goals

• Like 1

Champions League is great to watch as well, Ithink Fox still has the rights to that.  schedule is more spread out, they usually play mid week games in Ocotber Nov,. & Dec I beleive....

NBC does a great job w/ teh EPL, every game can be seen on the main channel or over flow..

Today game will be huge obviously.. but from my french point of view... we have nothing to lose. Germany is by far the favorite (of this game... and the WC altogether). Our goal during this cup was to qualify to quarter and get some experience for this young group of player to get ready for the Euro at home in 2 years

That being said... i will take a victory with great pleasure... but don't hold my breathe. I know my history about these games versus Germany. A victory will be quite a feat.. But the traditiionnal french mojo : " Impossible n'est pas français " 

Allez les bleus !