Why I'm not Bothered if We Lose the SCF

CarpathianForest

If we lose the SCF I'll be disappointed but only for like 5 minutes. This is a great club that's only been in NJ for 30 years and has had a butt-ton of success. If you look at the past 30 years the Devils have won the most Stanley Cups behind Edmonton and Detroit. The Devils are also tied with the Red Wings for most cup appearances in the past 30 years. Our club is actually sitting a lost better historically than many other teams. Buffalo(SCF 0-2), Vancouver SCF(0-3), Rags(1 cup appearance in the past 30 years), Capitals (0-1), Sharks, Maple Leafs(Last cup win and appearance 1967). I mean look at LA even. They've been around for 45 years yet this is only their second Stanley Cup Final appearance. So while losing would be a disappointment, being 3 for 5 in the Stanley Cup is nothing to scoff at. I'll be okay raising an Eastern Conference Champions banner in the Rock.

• Like 6

Many of us on the board were just asking for a first round series win. I'm just thinking that we need to have a sense of gratitude and perspective if we lose. We'll most likely have the same roster next year and they'll be itching to return. And I know it's most likely Marty's last Cup appearance but these guys don't play for Marty they play for the team.

It will def suck if we lose but honestly this is far me that I could have glever hoped for this team when the season started in october

Sure I'll be bummed. But the next morning I'll get up, walk my dog, watch some tv and enjoy my time off. Then when school rolls around I'll hang a new Devils poster or banner in my classroom.

You just gotta keep L-I-V-I-N'

fail_thread.jpg

Whatever. I'm not going to get all worked into a tizzy if we lose. I think this season, no matter how it ends, will have been a success. I'm not prepared to get all vicarious dad yelling at his son because we didn't win the championship.

fail_thread.jpg

Whatever. I'm not going to get all worked into a tizzy if we lose. I think this season, no matter how it ends, will have been a success. I'm not prepared to get all vicarious dad yelling at his son because we didn't win the championship.

Not waving any white flags. Just saying we should have a sense of persepective and gratitude should we lose.

I understand but I just don't think we should even bother to be talking about any of this kind of stuff until the series over. Now isn't the time to look back and reflect on this season.

Now is the time to go out there and win game 2!

I'm sorry to be Debbie downer all night but I do NOT want to see anymore "participation trophy"-like posts.

Of course it's great we got to the cup but Christ, act like you'd rather see us hoist the real trophy

Fine, whatever. You missed the point completely.

This thread is dumb. Just because none of us expected to make it this far doesn't mean we should take an "eh, losing's no big deal, let's just be happy with what we have" attitude. Get greedy. All of our playoff failures since the lockout should remind us how difficult it is to make it this far. It takes luck, and we've gotten it this year. Regardless of our past successes, losing when you get this close would still be very crushing. Yeah, ultimately I would look back and say "well it was a good run and I'm glad we got to beat the Flyers and Rags", but I'd still be devastated we didn't finish with a win and wasted such a golden opportunity, especially knowing this isn't exactly a "young" team that we would expect to do at least this well if not better next year. I can't understand how you or any Devils fan could just shrug off a loss in a SCF just because "well, 3 out of 5 in SCF ain't bad". Who even cares about that? 2003 was a long time ago. I know other teams have waited longer, but it's all relative.

Having said that, we've only lost game one and it was a pretty close game. No need to be talking defeat yet.

Edited by iamtheprodigy
  • Like 1

This thread is dumb. Just because none of us expected to make it this far doesn't mean we should take an "eh, losing's no big deal, let's just be happy with what we have" attitude. Get greedy. All of our playoff failures since the lockout should remind us how difficult it is to make it this far. It takes luck, and we've gotten it this year. Regardless of our past successes, losing when you get this close would still be very crushing. Yeah, ultimately I would look back and say "well it was a good run and I'm glad we got to beat the Flyers and Rags", but I'd still be devastated we didn't finish with a win and wasted such a golden opportunity, especially knowing this isn't exactly a "young" team that we would expect to do at least this well if not better next year. I can't understand how you or any Devils fan could just shrug off a loss in a SCF just because "well, 3 out of 5 in SCF ain't bad". Who even cares about that? 2003 was a long time ago. I know other teams have waited longer, but it's all relative.

Having said that, we've only lost game one and it was a pretty close game. No need to be talking defeat yet.

Do me a solid and don't post if you don't understand.

Hhaha ate we the only two who views this thread as a joke?

I know some of you are trying to make it nice, but this is the last thing I wanna se after a big loss

I get the point of the original post and I agree with it, but I also agree that it's too soon* to be talking like this.

* - It could also be too late; it probably would have been better to bring it up over the break, not right after Game 1.

Do me a solid and don't post if you don't understand.

Do me a solid and don't post if you're just going to be a condescending douchebag.

I give up. have fun throwing tantrums and being in a funk over the summer.

Have fun being a lousy fan.

Just trying to help you guys come down easy.

You should probably stop offering your "help" to people didn't ask for it and don't want it. Most people consider that a pretty obnoxious trait.

Anyway, this finally put it over the edge for me. To the ignore list with you.

• Like 2

If we lose the SCF I'll be disappointed but only for like 5 minutes. This is a great club that's only been in NJ for 30 years and has had a butt-ton of success. If you look at the past 30 years the Devils have won the most Stanley Cups behind Edmonton and Detroit. The Devils are also tied with the Red Wings for most cup appearances in the past 30 years. Our club is actually sitting a lost better historically than many other teams. Buffalo(SCF 0-2), Vancouver SCF(0-3), Rags(1 cup appearance in the past 30 years), Capitals (0-1), Sharks, Maple Leafs(Last cup win and appearance 1967). I mean look at LA even. They've been around for 45 years yet this is only their second Stanley Cup Final appearance. So while losing would be a disappointment, being 3 for 5 in the Stanley Cup is nothing to scoff at. I'll be okay raising an Eastern Conference Champions banner in the Rock.

The problem with this sentiment is that, had the Devils won last night, you probably don't post this. It almost sounds like the beginnings of a concession speech. If the Devils were down 3-0 I could understand it better, but it's too early to start silver-lining searching...it's only 1-0.

In way I do understand everyone's feelings:

1) This run wasn't expected, so in ways it feels like they've already won, regardless of what happens in the SCF.

2) You never know when your team might get to another SCF, so you don't want to see the opportunity go by the wayside.

What's easy to forget is that there's another team in the same boat that also wants to win the SC just as badly as the Devils do...especially since they've never won one in their franchise history. If the Devils don't win the Cup, I'm not necessarily going to see it as an opportunity that they blew, unless they played absolutely God-awful hockey throughout the series. It could simply come down to one team playing just well enough to beat the other, and if that team turns out to be the Kings, so be it...I'd hate it and it would suck, but if LA plays well to enough to beat the Devils, so be it. Sometimes, around here, it feels like when the Devils win, they get all of the credit, and when they lose, they get all of the blame...like the other team is just along for the ride, and the Devils are the ones in complete control of each game's outcome.

Anyway, it's a 1-0 series...far far FAR from over. Lots of hockey left to be played.

Hhaha ate we the only two who views this thread as a joke?

I know some of you are trying to make it nice, but this is the last thing I wanna se after a big loss

It's not a joke, because many people WILL have this sentiment if we lose the series, me among them. But after an OT loss of Game 1 is not the time to be looking for moral victories. I mean bothered isn't the word...I won't be annoyed, but certainly you want to win every chance you get, especially after almost a decade of being anywhere close to here and with an uncertain future (what happens with ownership, Marty, Zach, etc).

Edited by NJDevs4978