176 replies to this topic

#121 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Fair price for Zajac and good move by Lou. Now Elias next Lou!
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#122 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

We needed to lock Zajac up. Top line centers are hard to come by. Him, Henrique, and JJ as our top 3 centers for years to come makes me very excited
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#123 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Under 6 million a year is a fair number for someone like Zajac. Not a steal but a fair steady contract.. And I also agree it's refreshing that Lou didn't procrastinate on this matter.

#124 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Under 6 million a year is a fair number for someone like Zajac. Not a steal but a fair steady contract.. And I also agree it's refreshing that Lou didn't procrastinate on this matter.

When you see someone like Grabovski get $5 million, Zajac's obviously gonna want more so he was gonna get this from someone, probably more
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#125 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

When you see someone like Grabovski get $5 million, Zajac's obviously gonna want more so he was gonna get this from someone, probably more

if you look at it that way... but then when you see guys like Getzlaf, Ryan, Carter, Richards, Doan, Hossa, St-Louis, etc etc going for the same thing or less well......

a really good comparison to Zajac IMO is Mikko Koivu in what he brings offensively and defensively... based on that we got a huge deal lol Koivu at 6.7m is crazy

Edited by SterioDesign, 16 January 2013 - 06:50 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#126 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

based on that we got a huge deal lol Koivu at 6.7m is crazy

Koivu is good, another guy in the same points range and dollars as Zajac is Paul Stasny. He somehow got $6.6 million a year on his 2nd contract :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#127 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Koivu is good, another guy in the same points range and dollars as Zajac is Paul Stasny. He somehow got $6.6 million a year on his 2nd contract :lol:

And yet Colorado won't pay Ryan O'Reilly...

#128 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

if you look at it that way... but then when you see guys like Getzlaf, Ryan, Carter, Richards, Doan, Hossa, St-Louis, etc etc going for the same thing or less well......

a really good comparison to Zajac IMO is Mikko Koivu in what he brings offensively and defensively... based on that we got a huge deal lol Koivu at 6.7m is crazy

Richards & Hossa I wouldn't put in there since they're on the crazy long term deals that deflate the $ but I see your point. But he probably would've gotten Koivu $ on the open market

#129 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I love, love this deal. I think the cap hit is great for the Devils and its fantastic they got him to go the maximum amount of years. I think he would've gotten more money per year on the open market. I see a lot of people online bashing this deal as an overpay but its clear they don't watch the Devils regularly.

At least now after this season the Devils only have to worry about re-signing 3 forwards now (Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson). I'm not worried about the Devils budget for when Josefson and Henrique hit FA, their is so much that can and will probably change in the next 2-3 years that will really make an impact on that.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#130 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I love, love this deal. I think the cap hit is great for the Devils and its fantastic they got him to go the maximum amount of years. I think he would've gotten more money per year on the open market. I see a lot of people online bashing this deal as an overpay but its clear they don't watch the Devils regularly.

At least now after this season the Devils only have to worry about re-signing 3 forwards now (Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson). I'm not worried about the Devils budget for when Josefson and Henrique hit FA, their is so much that can and will probably change in the next 2-3 years that will really make an impact on that.

He could have gotten more money per year, but with the contract limits, someone would have had to offer him close to $7 million over 7 years (the max Winnipeg or any other team could offer length-wise) per to match our 8-46 in terms of total compensation. It's a win-win for both player and team, really Travis wasn't going to do any better in FA with the current landscape - especially with so many teams scaling back payroll next year - and we couldn't afford to have to replace him.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#131 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Well whether Lou signs these players is one thing, but I think a lot of it has to do with his methods. Even when other teams re-sign with their players on or about July 1st, it usually follows with a statement how they have been working on the deal for months. With Lou you always hear players saying " I never heard anything about it until the season ended." Then Lou has to figure out this stuff in about 1-3 months along with the draft. This seemingly perception of Lou doing nothing until the last minute is is totally based on feeling and perception than anything concrete given how little Lou talks about what he is doing internally.

But stepping back and looking at all this on a level field, the only two players that the Devils lost in the last 4-5 years that were of any big relevence were Zach following by Gionta. I might be missing a player or two but me forgetting just shows how much I miss them.

To be fair, Zach purposely only signed for one year because his agents KNEW the kind of money he'd get on the open market. He planned to hit UFA no matter what. And there were rumors that they had discussed an extension in January of last year, and his agents put the kibosh on it. Lou is incredibly secretive, so we definitely aren't getting the inside news that a lot of other teams leak.

If you don't think his routine of waiting until 7/1 to resign our own guys has cost us players....I don't know what to tell you.

If you think he just sits and waits until 7/1, I don't know what to tell you.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#132 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I personally think this is a great deal. Maybe he is getting paid more than he should, but I think he wud have gotten over 6 million had he gone to free agency. There is a lot about Zajac that makes him so valuable to the devils that some people might not notice. To merge two biggest things are that he has chemistry with kovy. It was very hard to find a good fit for kovy. And second Zajac has shown that he is pretty clutch. I would say more so than a lot of players on the team. I can think of 2 playoff overtime winners and 2 extra round shootouts winners in big games off of the top of my head. Add that to the fact that he is our number one center who can play in any situation and I think 5.75 is a fair number.

Agreed. A lot of his intangibles boost his value, and well, we also can't afford to lose another top 6 forward. So I like the deal. A little pricey but so what.

#133 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Love this deal, I don't think it's overpaying but wouldn't care if it is. I also love his quote after:

“It’s something I take pride in,” the 27-year-old center said. “I love wearing this logo on my chest. It means a lot to me.

Maybe not this year, but I think it's a done deal that he will wear the 'C' in the near future. Great job by Lou.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

He could have gotten more money per year, but with the contract limits, someone would have had to offer him close to $7 million over 7 years (the max Winnipeg or any other team could offer length-wise) per to match our 8-46 in terms of total compensation. It's a win-win for both player and team, really Travis wasn't going to do any better in FA with the current landscape - especially with so many teams scaling back payroll next year - and we couldn't afford to have to replace him.

I don't agree. Travis's money is backloaded, which time value of money wise isn't great - I know people are saying they think escrow will be high next year + that there will be a revenue shortfall in relation to where next year's cap is set, but I doubt that compensates for the heavy backloading. Furthermore, we don't know what kind of offers he would get - I wouldn't be surprised if 7-46 type offers were out there. There are always teams that are weak down the center and guys like Zajac make it to UFA infrequently.

Now if he gets injured or has a bad season this calculus changes considerably but Zajac will be getting 20-22 minutes a night this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Love this deal, I don't think it's overpaying but wouldn't care if it is. I also love his quote after:

Maybe not this year, but I think it's a done deal that he will wear the 'C' in the near future. Great job by Lou.

Travis is definitely in line to get the C in the near future. He stepped up and showed great leadership in between the trade of Langs and return of Parise in 10-11.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#136 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Love hearing stuff like this.

“It’s something I take pride in,” the 27-year-old center said. “I love wearing this logo on my chest. It means a lot to me. The environment that (GM)Lou (Lamoriello) has created here, it’s a winning culture and I want to continue to be part of that and continue to help out in any way possible.”

Edited by Zubie#8, 16 January 2013 - 10:48 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#137 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

The real difference between Parise and Zajac was not when or if Lou approached them, but that Zajac wanted to remain a Devil no matter what, and Parise wanted to be a Devil if they gave him Suter and $98 million.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#138 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Nice to see Zajac knew what he wanted unlike Parise.

#139 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I think it is more of people are pissed that Lou seemingly waits till the last second to start negotiating with these guys instead of resigning them in advance like you see a lot of other teams do. If news would have gotten out that Lou was negotiating with Zach all of last year before losing him to the Wild, I think the sting would have been less and it would be easier to accept that Lou tried his best and Zach just wasn't interested or got a better offer.

Just the fact that Lou signed someone this far in advance of the expiration of his current contract is bewildering and a little refreshing even if the numbers are a tad steep.

Happy Zajac is going to be here a long time though.

What failing principle?! God, some of you act like Lou just constantly loses guys left and right. It happens! All GMs lose players! In case you haven't noticed, he's kept some guys too, but no one ever talks about that. Only the guys who walk. And quite a few of the ones who did leave didn't exactly pan out for their new teams.

Yep I simply meant the failing principle that you can only negotiate with free agents after the season is over. It's been a mixed bag of results but no matter the results, I believe it has been a negative for Lou. Guys like Niedermayer, Rafalski, Parise had reasons to leave, of course, but if they had simply been re-signed earlier along we may not have ever seen those issues come to rise.

#140 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yep I simply meant the failing principle that you can only negotiate with free agents after the season is over. It's been a mixed bag of results but no matter the results, I believe it has been a negative for Lou. Guys like Niedermayer, Rafalski, Parise had reasons to leave, of course, but if they had simply been re-signed earlier along we may not have ever seen those issues come to rise.

We'll never truly knows what goes on behind the scenes with Lou, especially because he's as secretive as it gets, but I don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be, that it would've been so easy for Lou to re-sign these guys earlier. Those guys all knew big money awaited them once they hit UFA. They also know that Lou is usually not one to dole out insane mega-deals (though Kovy was clearly the major exception to that rule, and Elias' deal was up there for the time).

I'm not sure exactly what happened with Parise...I have no idea how close they were before talks broke down (before the start of last season). I do know that 13 years and $98 million for him is silly. I liked Parise a lot (what Devil fan didn't?), but with the type of game he plays and his size, can't help but wonder how long he'll hold up. I don't like those insane long-term deals as it is (including Kovy's), but I probably would've been comfortable giving Zach 7 years, tops.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 17 January 2013 - 07:14 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users