Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

R.I.P still developing.

According to our sources, Houston died at the Beverly Hilton hotel. A police crime lab vehicle was seen outside the hotel just moments ago

TMZ

yahoo

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

Such a waste of talent. Probably the best voice of an entire generation.

And I don't care if it was pre-recorded, her rendition of the national anthem before the Bills/Giants Super Bowl will forever in my mind be the standard by which all others are judged.

She's always been kind of a mess. I heard tales when I was in college - she was on her first tour and just going nuts so her back up musicians said. They also said she wasn't exactly into guys so... you never know what to believe. :noclue: Bobby Brown was probably a symptom more than a cause though. It's sad no matter what.

If it's possible to be both a success and a disappointment at the same time...kind of a Buddy Holly type career...I think Whitney accomplished that. She did so much in such a short time, but her well-documented drug habits and her party side ended up doing her in...and to be honest, I feel like if she could have had some control over her demons, she'd have separated herself from the rest of the pop singer pack and stood alone in a class like Madonna does now.

Great talent but had some type of addicitive personality or something like that (I'm not a shrink). As others have said, more focus on this than the real tragedies occuring every day is the crime here. Her death isn't a tragedy, it is one person who was pushing her luck anyway with the chemicals she abused. She had money, fame and for all we know great happiness with her party lifestyle. So, no reason to be sad, she lived life as she wanted. We should be sad about innocent victims of violence and disease that die worldwide.

And I don't care if it was pre-recorded, her rendition of the national anthem before the Bills/Giants Super Bowl will forever in my mind be the standard by which all others are judged.

Not to be "that guy", but I feel that very standard-setting has ruined it for everyone else. So many singers since then have tried to imitate her rendition, and frankly, very few have the chops to pull it off. Maybe it's because the American national anthem is so hard to sing, but in my opinion, if you can't sing it right, don't sing it at all. I'd much rather hear a well-played instrumental version than an amateur attempt at singing that ends up butchering it.

Not to be "that guy", but I feel that very standard-setting has ruined it for everyone else. So many singers since then have tried to imitate her rendition, and frankly, very few have the chops to pull it off. Maybe it's because the American national anthem is so hard to sing, but in my opinion, if you can't sing it right, don't sing it at all. I'd much rather hear a well-played instrumental version than an amateur attempt at singing that ends up butchering it.

As far as butchered versions of the Star Spangled Banner go, Carl Lewis might very well have set the standard at that Nets game some years back.

The song is pretty brutal to sing. I saw in a documentary (so it must be true) that the melody of the song was actually taken from a drinking song of the colonial era. Basically, the song was the breathalyzer test of the day. If you couldn't carry the tune, you were deemed too drunk to get another round. Seems a bit unfair since it's damn near impossible to carry while sober, let alone sauced.

As far as standard setting and such, I don't know, I'm just not a fan of instrumentals. They don't give me chills the way even a mediocre vocal rendition will. Whitney's is almost an unreachable standard, but I also consider Arlette the pre-Devils game standard. She does a fine job with that song and it's always a let down when someone else sings it.

When I was a kid, it always seemed like big, heavy-set opera singers always sang the National Anthem at many NHL games. To me, those were the best versions. Nothing against Whitney's version, of course. She did an outstanding job.

Edited by 95Crash

This continuous coverage is ridiculous. Alright, she had a good voice but does everyone know what she did these past twenty years? She was a druggie, an alcoholic, and she chose to be on a reality tv show. She was a DRUG ADDICT.

At school I put up the flag everyday and last week I was told to put it at half-mast. Yes, everyone lets, as a nation, remember this woman who had a beautiful voice and did so much great work(but was on a reality tv show and probobly bombed alot of money on drugs).

Soldiers are putting their lives on the line for us and when one is killed in action...nothing. When a fvcking idiot dies we all remember.

I get it, it is sad. But to the people who still mourn over her death and are just devastated that such a talent has died...fvck you. She killed herself.

Michael Jackson is the same, all these Jackson lovers are just completely bashing that doctor and how horrible he was. Well guess who was horrible? The guy who did drugs for years until he killed himself and left his children fatherless.

What a shame, I am just so tired of hearing "I willllll alwwwaaaayyyyyssss loveee yoouuuuuu." :angry::(

Edited by Mayday

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

This continuous coverage is ridiculous. Alright, she had a good voice but does everyone know what she did these past twenty years? She was a druggie, an alcoholic, and she chose to be on a reality tv show. She was a DRUG ADDICT.

At school I put up the flag everyday and last week I was told to put it at half-mast. Yes, everyone lets, as a nation, remember this woman who had a beautiful voice and did so much great work(but was on a reality tv show and probobly bombed alot of money on drugs).

Soldiers are putting their lives on the line for us and when one is killed in action...nothing. When a fvcking idiot dies we all remember.

I get it, it is sad. But to the people who still mourn over her death and are just devastated that such a talent has died...fvck you. She killed herself.

Michael Jackson is the same, all these Jackson lovers are just completely bashing that doctor and how horrible he was. Well guess who was horrible? The guy who did drugs for years until he killed himself and left his children fatherless.

What a shame, I am just so tired of hearing "I willllll alwwwaaaayyyyyssss loveee yoouuuuuu." :angry::(

I was waiting for one to say this. I agree. The continuous coverage is ridiculous, let's praise her everyday all day, a woman who yes had such talent but killed her self. She had a child to. She killed herself and all this for her when more important people are dying. ITS LAME really.

abso fvcking lutely. people in this country are so fake when faced with death. i agree with you completely

Nobody said you had to WATCH the fvcking coverage, did they?

I just love all of you people who are so eager to invalidate all of the good things a person does because they made some bad choices. God forbid someone should become rich and famous but fail to become perfect as well.

And no, I don't really give a rat's ass about Whitney Houston. It's the principle of the thing, that's all.

I just love all of you people who are so eager to invalidate all of the good things a person does because they made some bad choices. God forbid someone should become rich and famous but fail to become perfect as well.

And no, I don't really give a rat's ass about Whitney Houston. It's the principle of the thing, that's all.

you have a point. im just frustrated with all of this extensive crap that I see on tv on the internet. everywhere.

you're right, we dont have to watch the coverage. but we can criticize the over obsession this country has with pop stars to blow it up this much. absolutely we can