Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?

nessus

Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Devils make their first selection in the 2013 draft?

• 1-8 overall
    • 10+

Would do that in a heartbeat. Essentially a top six forward, a number 3/4 defenseman with one more year before UFA and a second for someone that projects to be a superstar center. This is especially the case in is situation where the Devils already have more defenseman than they know what to do with. 

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player.  But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth.  They'd want something better than Henrique.  

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player. But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth. They'd want something better than Henrique.

Off the top of my head, their top 6 consists of Huberdeau, Fleichmann, Versteeg, Mueller and Weiss if he re-signs. Definitely a place for Henrique there.

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player.  But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth.  They'd want something better than Henrique.  

Key is "might", compared to MacKinnon who is as close as you can get without being Crosby.  However you want to view it though, I'd still do it. 

Key is "might", compared to MacKinnon who is as close as you can get without being Crosby.  However you want to view it though, I'd still do it. 

Yeah, but MacKinnon still is only a "potential" star, so he's a risk as well, as all draft picks are.

The idea is that while you gain what's likely to be a #1C, you're giving up:

#9 Pick(Likely to be a guaranteed top 6 forward, possibly even a 1LW/C/RW/D, depending on pick)

+

Henrique(Seems to be capable of filling a top 6 role for us in the future)

+

2nd rd pick(At one spot lower than where we drafted Merrill and higher than where we took Elias)

With a deep draft we could draft another guy who's quite talented at this spot.

+

maybe even Fayne(Who right now, while having had a not that great season, he was coming off wrist surgery in the offseason and I think he can be a solid mid pairing defenseman for us while remaining at a reasonable salary)

That's a lot just for a potential #1C when you may have still been able to get an almost as good player with our #9 pick.

very interesting and nerve racking article. If those rumors actually do have merit, then it's exciting.

I've never even considered this Russian factor, I've never cared. A player like Valeri needs to be drafted high

if he falls to 9, which he won't, the devils have to take him.

of course, it will be an interesting play for lou because, for one, lou won't give out any bonus and the russian kids, for the most part still value money pretty highly. secondly, that he has said he wants to play in the khl as opposed to the ahl might rub lou the wrong way.

i think lou figures out how to work that out regardless should he be available but again, at 9, i think he is long gone.

If this guy is drawing comparisons to Lindros and is going to net the team trading the pick 2 top 6s the Devils don't have a trade to make.  I still think their best bet would be drop back a few spots take Domi, pick up another 2nd this year and a higher pick (mayber a first) in next years draft because they don't have a 1st of thier own.

They'd have to give up their 2nd round pick to swap with Edmonton, and I don't think they have any combination of players they could credibly deal for the 7th overall pick outright.  I don't see what Edmonton needs with another 2nd round pick.

They'd have to give up their 2nd round pick to swap with Edmonton, and I don't think they have any combination of players they could credibly deal for the 7th overall pick outright. I don't see what Edmonton needs with another 2nd round pick.

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You move the 7th overall pick for other picks or for NHL players, in almost all cases.  What do the Oilers want with Jon Merrill?  Why is he worth a lot to them?  It doesn't make any sense.

If they're going to move Horcoff and Hemsky, I could see them floating a 7th overall pick for an excellent centerman, but I don't know who's biting on that one - not a lot of spare centers out there, there isn't a Jordan Staal type of situation in the NHL right now that I can think of.

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You move the 7th overall pick for other picks or for NHL players, in almost all cases. What do the Oilers want with Jon Merrill? Why is he worth a lot to them? It doesn't make any sense.

If they're going to move Horcoff and Hemsky, I could see them floating a 7th overall pick for an excellent centerman, but I don't know who's biting on that one - not a lot of spare centers out there, there isn't a Jordan Staal type of situation in the NHL right now that I can think of.

Well a pick, like a second might be included. You want Merrill because he's a young close to NHL ready defenseman that projects to be a top line defenseman. Merrill is certainly a better bet now than any of the defensemen in the draft, save Seth Jones

Well a pick, like a second might be included. You want Merrill because he's a young close to NHL ready defenseman that projects to be a top line defenseman. Merrill is certainly a better bet now than any of the defensemen in the draft, save Seth Jones Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's an awful trade.  Again, what has Merrill shown in the NHL?  Nothing.  There's a reason why prospects are seldom moved for picks.

Picks in this range have been moved recently -

In 2011, the Flyers traded Jeff Carter for 8th overall and Jakub Voracek

In 2012, the Hurricanes traded 7th overall, Brian Dumolin, and Brandon Sutter for Jordan Staal

So yeah it'd have to be the 7th overall pick and something else, probably - don't see who's doing that, but I guess these sorts of trades are usually surprising.

Well a pick, like a second might be included. You want Merrill because he's a young close to NHL ready defenseman that projects to be a top line defenseman. Merrill is certainly a better bet now than any of the defensemen in the draft, save Seth Jones Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's an awful trade. Again, what has Merrill shown in the NHL? Nothing. There's a reason why prospects are seldom moved for picks.

Picks in this range have been moved recently -

In 2011, the Flyers traded Jeff Carter for 8th overall and Jakub Voracek

In 2012, the Hurricanes traded 7th overall, Brian Dumolin, and Brandon Sutter for Jordan Staal

So yeah it'd have to be the 7th overall pick and something else, probably - don't see who's doing that, but I guess these sorts of trades are usually surprising.

Your two examples include the team trading the pick giving up something else very significant in addition to the pick, so I don't see your point.

Like I said, Merrill is a better bet now than Zadorov, Nurse or Ristolian. Some people have those three as 8 to 12 on the board.

While I agree about Merrill being better than any of those three right now, I'm not sure how high his trade value is, or how well the other organizations would rate him. Remember, he's had two consecutive shortened seasons, one due to an injury and the other due to some disciplinary reason.

I don't think a trade has to be structured in the same way as the Penguins/Hurricanes or Flyers/Kings trades of the last few years. They were looking at: early pick + promising prospect(s) for a good NHL player.

We would be doing something more like: 9th + NHLer or promising prospect for 7th, I would think.

Or am I wrong to think that this gets you the 9th?

I really think that the Devils need to get someone especially good in this draft, and that trading up to 7th guarantees one of Monahan, Lindholm, or Nichushkin. Drafting one of these guys isn't quite as urgent for Edmonton (in my opinion) because they have a lot of guys filling out their top 6 for years to come. It would be helpful for them to have more of a veteran presence on their team so they have a chance of actually making the playoffs soon.

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ok I dint think that's worth it. Move up two spots? No thanks... Unless of course the top 8 take those forwards off the boards

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDok I dint think that's worth it. Move up two spots? No thanks... Unless of course the top 8 take those forwards off the boards

For the seventh pick straight up, was what I suggested.

Your two examples include the team trading the pick giving up something else very significant in addition to the pick, so I don't see your point. Like I said, Merrill is a better bet now than Zadorov, Nurse or Ristolian. Some people have those three as 8 to 12 on the board. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think that's the case at all.