GDT: Preseason Game 1: Rags @ Devs

Coorslight

I really enjoyed that game. A lot of guys looked really good, and it's got me very excited for the season. I know it's just preseason, and guys will look better when the competition isn't quite as good, but I was impressed with a lot of these guys.

Tedenby played surprisingly well. His level of energy is not likely to be sustainable, but he seemed a lot stronger and he didn't seem to be making many (any?) serious mistakes. If he keeps it up, he very well may make the team this year.

Josefson also had a good game, I thought. He looked particularly good on that PP. He could be good for the second unit in Elias's spot. Jake is becoming quite a smooth puck handler.

Larsson was just awesome for most of this game. You can already sense the confidence coming back.

Olesz seemed nervous or something at times tonight, but he looks like he's got all the tools, and a very good shot. I thought he played pretty well, too.

Too bad Gelinas will probably not get much NHL time this year. I could see him becoming quite a player. That shot was nasty, but he had a very good game overall, I thought.

How did you guys feel about Boucher? He seems like he's got a lot of work to do before he can make it in the NHL. He was getting pushed around a lot tonight.

This no touch icing is stupid, pointless, and slows the game down. Get rid of it...what braindead moron would suggest this crap?

I dunno, every other hockey league in the world has no-touch icing.  It's not no-touch icing, it's hybrid icing.

Edited by Triumph

Tedenby did the things he's supposed to (went to the net, scored a goal, drew a penalty) and did the things that frustrate me about him (tried stickhandling with 0% chance of success, had a horrendous shift in the D zone where he was way out of position all shift).  

Josefson looked good but I usually think that about him.  Led NJ with 4 shots on goal, apparently.

Loktionov was excellent.  I don't know how the Kings gave this kid away but he really could be a special player - it's not likely, but the ability seems to be there.  He makes smart plays with the puck so often and makes plays to get the puck back too, and he skates very well.

Olesz did some nice things and not so nice things, but I expect a degree of rust on him.

Gelinas's shot was great, but it seemed like he was trying to take it whenever possible, whether it made sense or not.  Didn't like some of his plays in the defensive zone either.

Urbom skates well but his puckhandling needs work.

Boucher's shot is impressive and he also made some shrewd plays with the puck on the power play, but I think a lot of the other elements in his game could use some work.

And lastly Larsson, who to me, just looked bigger out there.  He played 25 minutes, all situations, and looked pretty good - I wish he'd take fewer hits, but his skating looks to have improved.  We'll see what happens when the real games start, but I'm hoping he can put last year behind him.

Too bad Gelinas will probably not get much NHL time this year. I could see him becoming quite a player. That shot was nasty, but he had a very good game overall, I thought.

How did you guys feel about Boucher? He seems like he's got a lot of work to do before he can make it in the NHL. He was getting pushed around a lot tonight.

Gelinas shot is sick but I still think another year in the AHL will help him. He missed some time last year and I still think he'll need to get better defensively. Wouldn't mind him getting some time in the NHL if injuries hit though and they are desperate for PP help.

I hope fans recognize that Boucher is very much a work in progress. I feel like a lot of people (mainly on twitter) saw his goal scoring totals last year and think he's some great prospect. I liked his passing tonight but still think he has to get much better in pretty much all facets of the game outside of his nasty shot. Intriguing prospect for the organization but he'll need some time in the AHL.