isles aquire vanek. large deal

caron14

Bruce Garrioch from ottawa sun said that three team are in the mix for thomas vanek

The NEw Jersey devils, the phoenix coyote and the florida panthers

In my opinion i dont who we can trade to make the sabres trade vanek...

Except our crap like salvador, volchenkov harrold etc lol

Our player dont have any real value... and vanek is ufa this summer

We have henrique... (we resign him doesnt make sense)

Zajac (no trade clause)

Instead of that old players like zubie patty and jagr are not really interesting for buffalo

I dont know... I dont really buy into it... But like lou already said, nothing surprise me anymore

Edited by caron14

Don't believe it, but if anything, it's gonna start with Henrique I bet. Any of our more proven players are likely on too large of contracts. Any of the younger guys (Loktionov, Josefson, etc.) don't have very much trade value at the moment.

If it does happen, I hope Fayne isn't going the other way.

Henq is possible IMO if he's not going to be a center here. Lokti? JJ & Teddy + picks? One of our D prospects? Would have to make another move up front to clear space for him to play.

Possible, no probable.

Edited by John Wensink

It wouldn't be Lou-like to sign a guy to a six-year extension and trade him five games into it, so forget Henrique (Zajac's extension just kicked in too for that matter) - Lou's not Holmgren.  As much as we'd hate it the only thing they have of value to give up for Vanek is Larsson, whose value is getting DeBoered into a pit by the week.  Or maybe Boucher or Matteau and Merrill or Gelinas.

Edited by NJDevs4978

New contract or not, you can start that package with Henrique and, most likely, another young roster forward. You've got to think Fayne as a sweetner to help them on the back end. Might not be close even with that unless Matteau or Boucher is in it. Plus, buffalo might want help now and not a season or two away as they need it so you'd think anything that goes back to Buffalo has to play now. Whatever the case it probably won't be cheap to get Vanek and buffalo isn't taking veterans. Lou (if he's interested) is going to have to make sacrifices and weigh Vanek's UFA status this summer.

Edited by TheRedStorm

If the trade involved one or two veteran D pieces along with a prospect, it'd peak my curiosity. I know it seems unlikely to all of us but think about it from Buffalo's perspective. They must have gotten a feel on Vanek not wanting to return next season and will settle for whatever they can get. I'm sure GMs get what's going on and it might be a matter of what's the best "meh" return Buffalo can get for a Vanek rental. If it's our "meh" return and it involves a veteran D piece or two, it'd honestly be addition by subtraction and I think our defense would be better off.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Zajac than Vanek. When they're both at the top of their games, while Vanek is a better offensive threat, Zajac fits our system to a T. Prototypical Devils forward. However, if we can dump some prospects, maybe Matteau,JJ,Gelinas? I'd do it for any two of them

Would be a horrible trade, Garroich is a troll, this isn't likely to happen at all.

Also lol at Larsson's value being 'DeBoered' - yeah he missed one game at age 20, his career's over.  Yakupov and Hamilton are finished too.

Larsson's play has gone downhill in the last two years since DeBoer started jerking him in and out of the lineup.  Same thing with Fayne for that matter.  But go ahead, keep believing the head coach knows what he's doing with younger players.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Regardless of what happens this year, I think this team is heading into more of a rebuilding phase than we've seen in a long time. Maybe since early nineties. Doesn't mean we can't compete every year, but I think it's time to start paying more attention to the farm team, not trading talent away like we have been the last 10 years or so.

I'm not interested in trading a bunch of young talent in order to "go for it" this year. Partly because the team doesn't look strong enough SO FAR this year, but also because it would also decrease the overall talent level of our prospect pool for a player who is likely gone next year or would require a stupid contract to keep.

No point in giving up anything significant (which is what it would take) for a few moths of the guy especially considering we may not even be good enough to justify giving anything up.

Buffalo isn't going to do us anymore favors (Tallinder) like taking Volch.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

What can vanek do for this team, we aren't any better than buffalo right now. At least buffalo has a 1st round pick this year and other young guys that look promising.

Our future doesn't look that good, we got merril and that's it. Schnieder is not gonna be a rock star playing behind our current defense, no matter how good he is, or any goalie for that matter. The amount of odd-man rushes we give up and blown coverages is going to be hard for the best goalies to overcome.

Don't see a need for vanek unless we start turning things around. If not we should be sellers this year not buyers.

No way this happens.

People said the same thing about the Kovalchuk trade too.

Let's try and not justify every lame trade rumor by referencing the Kovalchuk move.

This team doesn't have a 1st this year, and outside of Henrique, there really isn't much the devils could offer. They're not going to take the Devils' junk.