2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

This is what Marty would've written in a book if DeBoer started him 10 less games this past season.

Selanne's taking out the frustration of his career being over on Boudreau, who I think did a great job with the Ducks. It's to be expected. They lost to the Kings, the best team in the league who went on to win the Stanley Cup for god's sakes; no embarrassment there. And on that token, I won't hold these words against Selanne. He had a great career, and now it's over, he's frustrated. And considering the book's release date, they must have started writing this portion of it a few days after their exit from the playoffs.

This is what Marty would've written in a book if DeBoer started him 10 less games this past season.

Selanne's taking out the frustration of his career being over on Boudreau, who I think did a great job with the Ducks. It's to be expected. They lost to the Kings, the best team in the league who went on to win the Stanley Cup for god's sakes; no embarrassment there. And on that token, I won't hold these words against Selanne. He had a great career, and now it's over, he's frustrated. And considering the book's release date, they must have started writing this portion of it a few days after their exit from the playoffs.

It's kind of funny...on one hand, we want these guys to speak their minds more and not be vanilla (Derek Jeter is the king of being vanilla, and to his credit, it's worked wonderfully for him...almost no one has a bad word to say about him).  But often when we get brutal, non-"rah-rah" honesty with athletes, we often don't like what we hear.

I give credit to Selanne for at least putting himself out there in his book, and not being a phony...that being said, based on the way his quotes were presented, he doesn't come off in the best light.  But he clearly thinks (rightly or wrongly) that he still had just a little bit left, and doesn't seem to be happy with the way things ended.  Seems like he's projected much of his negative feelings onto Boudreau.  Oh well, it is what it is and he probably wrote much of that while his emotions were still raw.  If anything, like I said, at least it's a real window into the heart and soul of Selanne during what's been a tough time for him, even if the view from the window isn't all sunshine and flowers. 

It's kind of funny...on one hand, we want these guys to speak their minds more and not be vanilla (Derek Jeter is the king of being vanilla, and to his credit, it's worked wonderfully for him...almost no one has a bad word to say about him).  But often when we get brutal, non-"rah-rah" honesty with athletes, we often don't like what we hear.

I give credit to Selanne for at least putting himself out there in his book, and not being a phony...that being said, based on the way his quotes were presented, he doesn't come off in the best light.  But he clearly thinks (rightly or wrongly) that he still had just a little bit left, and doesn't seem to be happy with the way things ended.  Seems like he's projected much of his negative feelings onto Boudreau.  Oh well, it is what it is and he probably wrote much of that while his emotions were still raw.  If anything, like I said, at least it's a real window into the heart and soul of Selanne during what's been a tough time for him, even if the view from the window isn't all sunshine and flowers. 

Jeter batted 2nd in the lineup all year long despite being terrible.  Selanne is upset that he basically did not get the same treatment.

Jeter batted 2nd in the lineup all year long despite being terrible.  Selanne is upset that he basically did not get the same treatment.

Re:  Jeter, it wasn't like the Yankees were ever going to bat him 8th or 9th (even if that's what his performance dictated).  Plenty of other bats weren't getting it done for the Yankees anyway...couple that with this clearly being Jeter's final year, that's made what has indeed been a bad year for Derek easier to take. 

Re:  Selanne, I'm sure he was upset (not like he's hiding it), same as Marty was ticked about not getting enough games.  One thing Jeter made clear before the season was that this was to going be his final season and that he was ready to move on to a new chapter in his life.  Selanne and Brodeur aren't (at least, it doesn't seem like they are).   

Jagr said he wants to play until he's 50 or more. Dude's like a little kid, not many signs of him slowing down!

He'll be like Rickey Henderson...he was even playing for the Newark Bears after his MLB career was over.

Just interjecting before this becomes a Selanne/Jeter thread :yucky:

Josh Harding fought with a teammate and kicked a wall because of it.

Broken foot, out a month and is suspended by the team

Wild sign Darcy Kuemper and bring back Bryz for a tryout

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=462118

EDIT: Broken Ankle, not foot

Edited by jagknife

Re:  Jeter, it wasn't like the Yankees were ever going to bat him 8th or 9th (even if that's what his performance dictated).  Plenty of other bats weren't getting it done for the Yankees anyway...couple that with this clearly being Jeter's final year, that's made what has indeed been a bad year for Derek easier to take. 

Re:  Selanne, I'm sure he was upset (not like he's hiding it), same as Marty was ticked about not getting enough games.  One thing Jeter made clear before the season was that this was to going be his final season and that he was ready to move on to a new chapter in his life.  Selanne and Brodeur aren't (at least, it doesn't seem like they are).   

He'll be like Rickey Henderson...he was even playing for the Newark Bears after his MLB career was over.

Not only should Jeter have been batted 8th or 9th all year, he shouldn't have played 130 games.  baseball-reference lists him as exactly replacement-level, which is terrible.  You're not quite getting the point - Selanne had not definitely said that last year would be his final year, but he certainly implied it - it took him a long time to decide to return to the NHL, and he wasn't coming off a spectacular year the year before.  The difference is that the Yankees are continuing to give Jeter whatever he wants (sure they can now, but they shouldn't've been two months ago) and the Ducks did not do the same for Selanne.

Edited by Triumph

Not only should Jeter have been batted 8th or 9th all year, he shouldn't have played 130 games.  baseball-reference lists him as exactly replacement-level, which is terrible.  You're not quite getting the point - Selanne had not definitely said that last year would be his final year, but he certainly implied it - it took him a long time to decide to return to the NHL, and he wasn't coming off a spectacular year the year before.  The difference is that the Yankees are continuing to give Jeter whatever he wants (sure they can now, but they shouldn't've been two months ago) and the Ducks did not do the same for Selanne.

I wasn't trying to make any points with any Jeter/Selanne parallels to begin with...the only reason I brought him up with regards to Selanne in the first place was the whole "vanilla" thing.  I'm not comparing their careers on a playing level.  I'm sure Derek could give very unvarnished opinions about A-Rod, Carl Pavano (who basically chose not to compete as a Yankee), others...but I don't think he ever will...I don't think he'd ever rip anyone in print the way Selanne ripped Boudreau. 

And re:  Jeter, I know what replacement-level is, and I know Jeter was that bad this season.  Yes, if the Yankees were Vulcanized, they would've played him in a lot less games and batted him 8th or 9th.  But you've watched sports long enough to know that a beloved career Yankee like Derek is not going to be treated that way, even if it makes perfect sense by-the-numbers.  And it's like I said, so many other things happened with the Yankees (injuries to starting pitchers, other players underperforming)...and besides, who was the SS that was so much better in the Yankees' system that was waiting to take over?  You may not like it and may not grasp the emotional side of pro sports, but with a longtime superstar (especially one that spends his entire career with the same franchise, a true rarity these days), sometimes you have to endure a rough final year at the very end...that being said, the organization's responsibility is to make sure that a diminished star doesn't get to keep sticking around on his terms (obviously Jeter calling it quits made this part of it very easy for everyone involved).  Devils were 100% right to basically tell Marty that it's time to move on...some (like you) will say they should've done it sooner, but oh well...as we know, there's some complete morons on the other side who think Marty should not only be re-signed, but should still get the majority of the playing time.  And as we saw on the other end of the spectrum, the Rangers were 100% wrong to let Messier keep hanging around when it was clear to everyone else that Messier's expiration date had come a long time ago.

Selanne is now basically saying the it wasn't his intent to hurt anyone...he sounds pretty human, in that he's one of those guys who gets pretty emotional and says some harsh things before calming down and feeling bad later about having lost it:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/11549547/bruce-boudreau-anaheim-ducks-understands-teemu-selanne-barbs-book

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Selanne is now basically saying the it wasn't his intent to hurt anyone...he sounds pretty human, in that he's one of those guys who gets pretty emotional and says some harsh things before calming down and feeling bad later about having lost it:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/11549547/bruce-boudreau-anaheim-ducks-understands-teemu-selanne-barbs-book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfXgOYNcpY

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord 4m

Ranger Rants: #NYR C Derek Stepan helped off the ice during conditioning test, how it happened and what may happen http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/ 

"Stepan, back on the ice after missing two days due to a foot contusion initially suffered on Sept. 9 (the team did not skate on Tuesday as the Rangers held their annual golf outing) was participating in a full-rink sprint drill. But, shortly after pushing off and trying to get up to speed, Stepan collapsed to the ice on both knees around the far blue line, sliding through the neutral zone before coming to a stop in the opposite zone clutching at the area of his left knee. Stepan could be heard groaning in pain as he was attended to on the ice and then helped off by teammates Mats Zuccarello and Marty St. Louis."

Stepan just left practice with a non-contact leg injury. If this is serious the Rangers are in real trouble down the middle

Brassard

Miller

Hayes

Moore

Edited by SMantzas