Chico stepping down after this season?

95Crash

I was being sarcastic so take it easy there.

Also while every color guy is a homer, Dano is almost as huge of blatent homer as Chico.  Chico at times reaches the John Sterling level of absurdity when he analyzes plays to where he see things one way when video obviously shows another way.  Dano is close to that and even on HNL he is subtly ridiculed by the other analysts in his blatent homerism.

It's nice to hear Dano and Chico be there for the Devils as well as whatever replacement color guy they get.  But again when you get into the John Sterling realm of absurdity, it can become annoying and embarassing real quick.

Everyone else on that panel clearly is an example of pure objectivity. 

I'm always amazed at how Dano doesn't just knock out Al "brutal" Trautwig and Dave "I throw rose pedal at Henriks feet" Maloney on that show sometimes.

Bobby Holik's voice has always bothered me though. I don't think I could take listening to him through a whole game. Daneyko's commentary comes from a very specific perspective which is 1985 middle of nowhere Alberta on a frozen pond. It's a perfectly valid version of hockey, but I don't need that perspective all game long either. In between periods is good enough for me.

Bobby Holik's voice has always bothered me though. I don't think I could take listening to him through a whole game. Daneyko's commentary comes from a very specific perspective which is 1985 middle of nowhere Alberta on a frozen pond. It's a perfectly valid version of hockey, but I don't need that perspective all game long either. In between periods is good enough for me.

While I'd greatly appreciate Holik's honesty, he sounds like a muppet. He's probably better off sticking to the blog.

While I'd greatly appreciate Holik's honesty, he sounds like a muppet. He's probably better off sticking to the blog.

It's a joke, he'd last two weeks.   He's too cerebral and too anal for the job.    And as pointed out a bunch in this thread, Chico is watered down for consumption, the guy you talk to at the games is totally different than the announcer.   Good luck watering down Bobby.   Or Robert.   There's another issue.  lol

Last I heard, Velischek and Driver are the boys and girls hockey coaches at Morristown-Beard. The girls team is quite successful IIRC. I think they runs camps and clinics at Twin Oaks in Morristown as well.

As others have mentioned, Chico has his moments where it's tough to listen to him ramble, but he is a genuine fan of the club and has always had great interactions with the fans. Best of luck to him! It would be nice to get Doc in the house for Chico night and let them call a game one last time.

Edited by NLinfante

Love Chico despite all his flaws. His commentary following the most recent devils' loss was genuine concern, geez guys at this point I don't really know what to do next. It's refreshing to see that kind of honesty among all the know it all blow hards behind the mic and/or keyboard these days.

If you ever listen to Rutgers football on the radio, Chico is very much like Ray Lucas, who filters nothing, and wears his hearts and thoughts on his sleeve. Just a lovable knuckle head.

Add to that, you've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him personally.

Is Peter Mcnabb available?

I love Chico. He's fun, and fairly honest. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Never seems annoyed at the fans talking to him after games. When I got my friend a Chico Eats shirt, not only did he sign it, he told me to take her over after a game so she could meet him in person.

anyone have a link to any of the chico eats ?.. most of those food spots probably arent even in the arena any more

There are some on youtube you can watch.  It's kinda sad to watch them now as you are right, a lot of those stands are not there and the ones that still are, the quality of food just by looking at them has dipped quite dramatically since 2007-08.  I think I remember reading that even the new owners admitted at the start of the season that the food quality and options sucked so they did those quick little fixes with the cups and the BBQ food as a stop-gap until they can find a more permanent solution to the food issue.  I guess the decline in the food is a direct result in JVB's financial issues as it was an area he cut corners on.

As for Dowd and his pyramid scheme, I heard about that too and just did a quick google search and indeed is has scam written all over it.  I even got an email earlier this year to attend one of his meetings where basically it was advertised as a Dowd meet and greet and then in little notice on the bottom of the email that a small presentation for his company was part of it as well.  lol oh well.

Last I heard, Velischek and Driver are the boys and girls hockey coaches at Morristown-Beard. The girls team is quite successful IIRC. I think they runs camps and clinics at Twin Oaks in Morristown as well.

As others have mentioned, Chico has his moments where it's tough to listen to him ramble, but he is a genuine fan of the club and has always had great interactions with the fans. Best of luck to him! It would be nice to get Doc in the house for Chico night and let them call a game one last time.

Randy is the Hockey Director at Twin Oaks.  Bruce is basically the rink's general manager.  However, I don't think either position would stop them from being the Devils TV CC if they wanted it and were offered the position.

There are some on youtube you can watch.  It's kinda sad to watch them now as you are right, a lot of those stands are not there and the ones that still are, the quality of food just by looking at them has dipped quite dramatically since 2007-08.  I think I remember reading that even the new owners admitted at the start of the season that the food quality and options sucked so they did those quick little fixes with the cups and the BBQ food as a stop-gap until they can find a more permanent solution to the food issue.  I guess the decline in the food is a direct result in JVB's financial issues as it was an area he cut corners on.

As for Dowd and his pyramid scheme, I heard about that too and just did a quick google search and indeed is has scam written all over it.  I even got an email earlier this year to attend one of his meetings where basically it was advertised as a Dowd meet and greet and then in little notice on the bottom of the email that a small presentation for his company was part of it as well.  lol oh well.

Reminds me of that Matt Harvey Qualcomm-zombie debacle on the Dan Patrick show lol..

Chico has never seen a goalie give up a soft goal. That being said, he has endearing qualities. I will miss him when he's gone. Laughlin and Cangelosi are really weak. I think Dano might be a good color guy, but MSG does weird $hit. Can anyone explain Deb Placey's tenure?

Chico has never seen a goalie give up a soft goal. That being said, he has endearing qualities. I will miss him when he's gone. Laughlin and Cangelosi are really weak. I think Dano might be a good color guy, but MSG does weird $hit. Can anyone explain Deb Placey's tenure?

in that case can anyone really explain deb placey at all? lol i totally feel like sometimes she just really doesnt know about what shes talking about or whats really going on .. like shes reading directly off a paper

in that case can anyone really explain deb placey at all? lol i totally feel like sometimes she just really doesnt know about what shes talking about or whats really going on .. like shes reading directly off a paper

I never cared for deb myself but she is still miles better than that blonde chick they had for a season right before her.

First of all, any of you all "HATING" Chico need to take a step back and relax. In today's day and age when athletes refuse to tie their own shoes because they're coddled like no one's business, Chico's sense of "homer-ism" and being down-to-earth and genuine is quite refreshing.

It puts a face and personality, not to mention, helps normal JOES like me and you relate to a business that we have no business relating to.

Granted, perhaps his "technical" ability as an actual commentator isn't something destined for a broadcasting manual at Boston University, however, he more than makes up for it with his, well, you know, - COLOR! When the Devils are sucking @ss, I look no further than to hear what Chico has to say about it. He is critical about the team, with a great degree of candor, but does it with a smile on his face.

I am a Chico fan forever, and so if someone dares to knock him, they need to go through me first! :-)

But, if Chico indeed is leaving on his own terms, for which I wish him the best of times and peace growing old with his wife, this would be my shortlist for replacements:

Long Shot Considerations (for giggles):

1. Marty Lyons

2. Mike Francessa

3. Cam Janssen

4. Scott Gomez

5. Ilya Kovalchuk

6. Gary Thorne

Serious Considerations:

1. Martin Brodeur

2. Jim Dowd

3. Ken Daneyko

4. Kevin Weekes

5. Brian Rafalski

Get Rid OF:

1. Matt Laughlin

2. Steve Cangelosi

Mike Francessa is a piece of garbage. Everyone on WFAN is a piece of garbage. Steve Sommer had the balls to go on the station that broadcasts Devils games and ranted about how they need to move. Completely unacceptable. And Gary Thorne is the worst, Im so glad hes done with Orioles broadcasts.