Is Phil Kessel the answer?

William D'Aquila

Here is what I said about your idea:

Giving  up a 1st plus Gelinas and Boucher for Kessel and his $8M cap hit is a little rich. I understand he is a known but what if he gets hurt and does he get it done by himeself?  I feel we are set with the defense or can improve it to what we need and the same with the goaltending. the offense needs a lot of help and more than one person now and in the future. With the $8M I maybe albe to get two offensive guys and get the same or more production than Kessel. Plus I still have the first. I care less about Gelinas and Broucher so we could trade them for a forward. That gets me 3 offensive guys.

I will pass on this idea, thanks.

If you accept my plan for next year we will need 8 young offensive players, We have Matteau, so it becomes 7 needed, I am not excited about Broucher but we have him as well. This can be done. Can  Lou do it mentality I don't know, it's a rebuild. The patch work idea of Lou with DeBoer has not worked and will continue to fail in the future.

You said we need 8 young forwards, so what I am trying to ascertain is that do you consider Kessel old? He is 27 if you weren't aware, not only that but Gelinas is redundant with Severson being here. I'm still not seeing how acquiring a game breaking rw entering his prime is a bad thing when we aren't giving Toronto anything of note?

Also where do you want to get these 8 young offensive players from?

Edited by William D'Aquila

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and never thought I'd long for the days you had the wisdom to post Oust Hugh threads.

No, no... it's not you,  I just think trade posts like this are a waste of time for the most part.  I'm nto interested in Kessel at this point for one thing. 

OK -- I'm kidding ... it IS you  :rofl:

at least now I know you really ARE Beetlebum. 

Instead of your usual nonsense explain how this is a bad deal for the Devils.

Does it impact them long term, does it hurt their defense, does it hurt their roster compared to how it is currently constituted? The answer is no to all 3. 

ahhh... also..... :ninja: can you kind of try to pretend you're not him again though -- just ... take it easy on starting a jillion out-there topics.  One a week is OK -- but when school breaks roll around - like, do something outside and give the computer time a rest OK?  and don't get all argumentative and defensive.  "Happy idiot" worked for Beetlebaum and there was even a good post or two when posts were limited.

You said we need 8 young forwards, so what I am trying to ascertain is that do you consider Kessel old? He is 27 if you weren't aware, not only that but Gelinas is redundant with Severson being here. I'm still not seeing how acquiring a game breaking rw entering his prime is a bad thing when we aren't giving anything of note?

Also where do you want to get these 8 young offensive players from?

I don't consider him old but I do consider him expensive for what he can deliver and what the team needs next season.

the money alone hurts the team and the fact he's signed makes the whole thing a non-starter. 

Dude - I'd never even START to go on about how it's a bad deal. There is NO DEAL.  Thread over - hence why I was shocked to see anyone responded.  Don't you know me better than that? 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand......

we're done

:evil:

the money alone hurts the team and the fact he's signed makes the whole thing a non-starter. 

Dude - I'd never even START to go on about how it's a bad deal. There is NO DEAL.  Thread over - hence why I was shocked to see anyone responded.  Don't you know me better than that? 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand......

we're done

:evil:

I don't think you understand the CBA. For a good 5 to 7 year period, the Devils will be able to have one of the cheapest d lineups in the league. Furthermore, Ryane Clowe will never play hockey again giving the Devils even more wiggle room. Concurrently to Kessel's contract Elias, Havlat, Brunner, Salvador, Zidlicky, Jagr, and other players will become free agents. The Devils will have ample salary to either re-sign these players, or go in a different direction.

We are done

Name one.

Here is what I said about your idea:

Giving  up a 1st plus Gelinas and Boucher for Kessel and his $8M cap hit is a little rich. I understand he is a known but what if he gets hurt and does he get it done by himeself?  I feel we are set with the defense or can improve it to what we need and the same with the goaltending. the offense needs a lot of help and more than one person now and in the future. With the $8M I maybe albe to get two offensive guys and get the same or more production than Kessel. Plus I still have the first. I care less about Gelinas and Broucher so we could trade them for a forward. That gets me 3 offensive guys.

I will pass on this idea, thanks.

If you accept my plan for next year we will need 8 young offensive players, We have Matteau, so it becomes 7 needed, I am not excited about Broucher but we have him as well. This can be done. Can  Lou do it mentality I don't know, it's a rebuild. The patch work idea of Lou with DeBoer has not worked and will continue to fail in the future.

You should really stop calling him Broucher tho

Kessel would be nice, but there's no way in hell Toronto is trading him unless we blow them out of the water with a deal.Think about what they gave up for him.

They're gonna want a 1st+Henrique+Gelinas/Larsson. I'd much rather go for a deal like Tri suggested for Zibanejad and hope we can find a scorer via the draft.

That being said, anyone who thinks Kessel is overpaid @ $8M per is nuts. That's a fine deal for him right now. Maybe towards the end of that deal it's not the best, but who knows what the cap looks like then.

I like JVR's game and he would probably be cheaper than Phil the Thrill, but he's lefty and a LW. We were hoping to fix the problem at RW.

JVR is great. If there was a chance we could acquire him, it doesn't matter that he's a lefty who plays LW. You find room for a guy like that or you MAKE room.

The answer is rebuilding. A player like phil kessel will cost us youth pieces that we cant afford to lose.

It doesn't have to be a sabres rebuild, but we should at least realize who we are, and stop making moves to improve in the short term, because we suck in the short term.

JVR on the other hand, skilled youth def worth a package of one of our young defensemen for. But I doubt we ever get are hands on him.

Edited by Sneax

We might not be able to do something this season but depending what pick we have and if Lou and Conte are not particulary in love with a player they could get. they might be able to throw a first round pick with a current player or prospect and that could get us something decent

Hello this is lou and Conte you are talking about, your suggestuion sound like creative on the  spot, not like rigid Lou. My way or the highway.

Have long championed Kessel on this forum and have made similar arguments for trying to acquire him. I think he'd be a perfect fit. A Cammalleri - Zajac - Kessel line would be dynamic and a helluva lot of fun to watch.

JVR would probably be the "easier" get, but if we can get a guy like Kessel, we do it as long as we're not overpaying/getting fleeced.

There is literally no player on this team I consider off the table if Kessel was offered to us with Schneider being the only one I consider close to off the table.