#1 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

http://www.detroitne...S0201/207300431

Ann Arbor — Michigan hockey fans received some good news Monday with star defenseman Jon Merrill telling head coach Red Berenson he was returning for his junior year.

Merrill, a second-round pick by New Jersey in 2010, participated in the Devils' prospect camp this summer.

"Johnny talked with me this morning and indicated he'll be coming back," Berenson said Monday. "He definitely had some dialogue with New Jersey. Jon realized he only played half of the season and he wants to be ready when he makes the move. He wants to be competing for an NHL job when he does. He doesn't want to be playing in the minors. I think it's the right thing for him."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...1#ixzz228xNZiMI

NJ's glut of D makes this a pretty easy decision for him. Although saying he doesn't want to play in the minors is a slight red flag to me. I doubt he goes straight to the NHL from college with the way this team is constituted.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#2 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

I dont consider that a red flag in the slightest. Who wants to play in the minors?

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

In terms of on ice competition, I was hoping to see him go to Albany. Hopefully another year of maturing off the ice and playing a full college season this go around will help prepare him for the move to the pro's after this year. Its nice that the Devils can afford to have him take his time.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

In terms of ice time this is a much better move. He was likely stuck on the third pair in Albany without much special teams. In a year when a defensmen will be traded and one of the guys in Albany will be in New Jersey, it will be better to turn pro.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#5 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

This is better for his long term development. Glad he's going back to UM and, hopefully, they make it the Frozen Four this season so we can see him play in primetime.
Posted Image

#6 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Good news, glad he isn't too hot-headed yet.

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't think this is better for his development. Corey Pronman made the point on Twitter - if he's dominating the NCAA like everyone claims he is, he's not learning anything by going back, and it's not like Michigan has a great track record for developing defensemen. However, if Adam Larsson is eligible to play in Albany, something I've been too lazy to look up, that would mean Merrill would start the season 5th on the depth chart probably - not ideal.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm sorry for being a little green in the college hockey knowledge but if he is dominating on a college level would it not make more sense to play in a minor league environment to prove he is ready for that next step? I just can't see with the depth we have him stepping into the NHL next year, or does it have to do with getting his full education, then play until you graduate, would that not make better sense? But to say he wants to go from college to NHL level? Is he that good?
Let's Go Devils!!!!!

Edited by Devs1965, 30 July 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#9 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I don't think this is better for his development. Corey Pronman made the point on Twitter - if he's dominating the NCAA like everyone claims he is, he's not learning anything by going back, and it's not like Michigan has a great track record for developing defensemen. However, if Adam Larsson is eligible to play in Albany, something I've been too lazy to look up, that would mean Merrill would start the season 5th on the depth chart probably - not ideal.

I think the argument could be that this is better for.his development in terms of his personality.It will be a good season for him if he can get through a whole year whilst producing, without any off ice incidents.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#10 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

adam larsson in albany would make me so incredibly angry. i mean, if he plays his way there after say, 20 games in the nhl, fine. but if the devils defensive situation puts him there because of salvador, i'll be furious.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#11 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

adam larsson in albany would make me so incredibly angry. i mean, if he plays his way there after say, 20 games in the nhl, fine. but if the devils defensive situation puts him there because of salvador, i'll be furious.

I think Tri's more worried about a lockout, especially since Lou said Larsson would play for the Devils this year. I don't want Larsson sitting on his butt during a lockout if it can be helped though.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 July 2012 - 07:02 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#12 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Probably a good time to get his degree in case a career-threatening injury forces him to consider the corporate world.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#13 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Good for him. A full year dominating and refining his talent will def help his confidence down the road. He needs a full year of doing so. No chance at the nhl and he would've gotten very limited mins in Albany.

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think Tri's more worried about a lockout, especially since Lou said Larsson would play for the Devils this year. I don't want Larsson sitting on his butt during a lockout if it can be helped though.

He'd play in Sweden if he wasn't playing in Albany. But yes, I would obviously be talking about a lockout situation, because otherwise Larsson is eligible to play in the AHL.

I think the argument could be that this is better for.his development in terms of his personality.It will be a good season for him if he can get through a whole year whilst producing, without any off ice incidents.

It's pretty much a given that Michigan's increased drug testing is what got him - he was likely smoking marijuana. I don't consider that 'off-ice' incidents, although I suppose it's not something a professional athlete should be doing.

#15 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

He'd play in Sweden if he wasn't playing in Albany. But yes, I would obviously be talking about a lockout situation, because otherwise Larsson is eligible to play in the AHL.

It's pretty much a given that Michigan's increased drug testing is what got him - he was likely smoking marijuana. I don't consider that 'off-ice' incidents, although I suppose it's not something a professional athlete should be doing.

Smoking weed is something that I'd bet half of the league does. Addiction to pain killers is a whole other story. I doubt it was just for marijuana because this type of thing would definitely be more common. I still think it was for academic reasons

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Smoking weed is something that I'd bet half of the league does. Addiction to pain killers is a whole other story. I doubt it was just for marijuana because this type of thing would definitely be more common. I still think it was for academic reasons

I read about Michigan athletes in all sports being dinged for it - they increased testing at Michigan. I don't think it's for academic reasons at all - why would he be suspended twice for that, and once in the off-season? As I recall, Merrill's suspension was announced in late August.

EDIT: It was announced in October, but still, doesn't make sense given the way that Merrill spoke about it

Edited by Triumph, 30 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#17 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

I figured Lou wouldn't push anything with him this year because of the CBA and the plethora of d this team has currently. In the next CBA entry deal could be five years. No need to waste a year here. Especially when there is a good chance you lock him for five years next year on the entry level contract.

#18 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Yea, this is no surprise to anyone. The Devils are loaded with d-men right now and all of his comments pretty much hinted at this.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#19 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Good for him, absolute no-brainer.

Another year of the college life, or being shuttled around on a bus for a year? Easy choice.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#20 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

Less games in NCAA too...but more practice time and more time in the weight room, this is a good choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users