[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

Edited by Triumph

I'm guessing Lou tried to sign Brunner and when he couldn't reach an agreement went with Jagr.

Works out fine considering next year's UFA group is much better and Lou could end up with someone better than Brunner for long term top 6 RW.

Next years UFA's (obviously most of them won't even make it to July)...

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

i should have clarified - i did not mean sent to albany - i meant put on lower lines and less important roles.

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

I wouldn't mind going for Stastny for out first line center (or 1A) and then bumping Henrique to wing. 

I don't think the Devils will land any of the big ones. Maybe Gaborik if he doesn't like Columbus. Would be great if we could land Kessel but I think we all know that won't happen.

I had a weird dream last night. The Devils were going to make an announcement, and all the fans thought it would be the signing of Brunner or Boyes, and instead, NJ announces Rod Brindamour coming out of retirement to play 1 more season with the Devils.

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Cmon, be fair.  You're forgetting Mike Ricci.

• Like 1