Senators owner cheapshots Devils Brand of Hockey

grcenter47

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/sens-owner-were-not-new-jersey-we-dont-play-a-boring-brand-of-hockey/

From the Ottawa Citizen:

“It’s definitely an important day, the fact that (Bryan Murray) signed for two years and another two (as an adviser to hockey operations). That continuity is a very, very important thing to have. And that stability. With Randy and Pierre, it’s exactly the same thing.”

Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.

“We’re not New Jersey,” he said. “We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.”

Edited by grcenter47

This is one of those things that really gets under my skin. It's a classless thing for an owner to say. And if I were an Ottawa fan, I would be a bit puzzled that my owner would say that he wanted to avoid following the example of one of the most successful hockey operations of the past twenty years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Melnyk is another Vanderbeek - the NHL will have to tear that franchise away from him eventually, he's running out of money.  Still, he's not totally wrong - Ottawa games feature more total shots than NJ, by a considerable amount.  Ottawa is 1st in the league in that regard, NJ last, even when you just look at road games.

Melnyk is another Vanderbeek - the NHL will have to tear that franchise away from him eventually, he's running out of money.  Still, he's not totally wrong - Ottawa games feature more total shots than NJ, by a considerable amount.  Ottawa is 1st in the league in that regard, NJ last, even when you just look at road games.

Apparently his wife might be going after it in court. He's a straight nut and will say anything. He told fans that wanted the team to blow up the team to blow themselves up. The Sens aren't even that entertaining of a team. They have an absolute must-see player in Karlsson who is one of the handful of players anyone should pay to watch.

As far as the brand of hockey point, it's an interesting one. For a lot of managers, putting an exciting brand of hockey is a point of emphasis. It never has been for Lou. He never cared about marketing, branding or selling tickets either. I think that has probably had a negative on the growth of the franchise inspite of all the success.

The team would have a lot better chance of selling tickets if it marketed its players, their personalities and played a more uptempo style of hockey. As an owner, you'd like to win and be an entertaining one too.

You know, I've kinda always felt some sympathy for the Senators (small fish in a big market) but seriously, this is just childish.

Yeah, getting to the SCF 5 times sure has been boring.

I absolutely hate using this phrase, but haters gonna hate. Senators have been irrelevant for as long as I can remember outside 03.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have taken the liberty of transcribing Melnyk's quote and editing it for clarity:

Melnyk was also hoping the improved play of the team, coupled with the stability within the front office, would boost ticket sales at the Canadian Tire Centre.

“I wish I owned the Devils," he said as his Devils pajamas glimmered in the moonlight. "I wish I owned the Devils, I wish I had three Cups.” 

a few good comments on the article from readers

one of the comments from the artice is from a "devils fan"

jimhockey - He’s absolutely right. As a Devils fan for more years than I want to admit, I’ve had the dubious privelege of not only watching my team generate less offense than any team in the league over the last decade, but also ALLOWING the least offense by visiting teams. Boring isn’t a strong enough word. Long ago, Lou Lamariello decided you could be competitive in every game if you played 59 1/2 minutes of defense and dragged visiting teams down to your level, which is the main reason the league implemented so many of their recent changes.

I go to games – or watch games – to see world-class skill – not an unending stream of journeymen grinders who we’ve never heard of until the Devils trade for them.

some think we still play the trap

penguins87and71 -The Devils system is boring. I can’t even watch the Devils play when they play the Penguins let alone when they don’t play my favorite team. This is why I didn’t watch the Stanley Cup Final a few years ago and this is why I won’t watch the outdoor game they play VS the Rangers. I don’t know but I just can’t watch 1-0 and 2-1 hockey games especially when the trap is involved.

A) Any Devils fan that is whining about a lack of star power can happily go root for the team across the river - I won't miss them. That's the kind of fan that sits at a game and yells "SHOOT IT" for 60 minutes.

B) Any penguins fan that whines about the Devils being boring has shown their bandwagon status - guarantee they weren't around pre-Crosby when the Penguins pretty much defined the term boring.

C) Any fan that still harps on the "trap", as if half the teams in the league don't play a variation of it, is just parroting whatever idiot NBC had covering the game that day (besides Doc, of course)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

Honestly i find the way the team is playing right now miles ahead more entertaining than the year we made our cup run. It was fun winning but god were they EVER predictable and repetitive.

Sucks that they are not winning as much now but at least they try to make interesting plays now

• Like 1

I hate this kind of garbage. The Devils are the only team that gets called out for playing the trap. You watch LA play and it's good physical hockey and then as soon as the Devils are involved it's the trap.

Melnyk has the same blinders on that effect most owners of Canadian teams. Canadians love hockey and they will keep coming regardless of how good the team is so why spend a ton of money and take on risky contracts when the money will roll in anyway. 

And then suddenly it stops rolling in because after years of mediocrity the fan base becomes disinterested and money is tight so you have to move the team. Then it's a big national tragedy when the teams leave and the Canadian media plays it up like its the big pro-American commissioner who hates Canada.(I'm Canadian btw)

It's easier for Melnyk to delude him into thinking his team is close to a Stanley Cup then actually take any risks. Last year the team had the HIGHEST average of shots per game and were 27th in scoring! They also allowed among the most shots per game and were 2nd in goals allowed. So you got really good goaltending and had really crappy forwards or just unlucky forwards. This year the offense is up but the goaltending isn't as good so the team is worse. Yet somehow they are one piece away from being a contender. Sorry, don't see it.

a few good comments on the article from readers

one of the comments from the artice is from a "devils fan"

jimhockey - He’s absolutely right. As a Devils fan for more years than I want to admit, I’ve had the dubious privelege of not only watching my team generate less offense than any team in the league over the last decade, but also ALLOWING the least offense by visiting teams. Boring isn’t a strong enough word. Long ago, Lou Lamariello decided you could be competitive in every game if you played 59 1/2 minutes of defense and dragged visiting teams down to your level, which is the main reason the league implemented so many of their recent changes.

I go to games – or watch games – to see world-class skill – not an unending stream of journeymen grinders who we’ve never heard of until the Devils trade for them.

some think we still play the trap

penguins87and71 -The Devils system is boring. I can’t even watch the Devils play when they play the Penguins let alone when they don’t play my favorite team. This is why I didn’t watch the Stanley Cup Final a few years ago and this is why I won’t watch the outdoor game they play VS the Rangers. I don’t know but I just can’t watch 1-0 and 2-1 hockey games especially when the trap is involved.

I guess that Pittsburgh fan forgot all those years the Penguins played the left wing lock, which was essentially a version of the trap. Oh wait, that was before Crosby, so that fan didn't even know the team existed before 2005 when they were lucky to get 10,000 people in the seats and almost moved every year. 

People can kick the Devils all they want, but most of them would trade their team's last 20 years with ours in a heartbeat. The Devils will always be known as a boring trap team, no matter how they play, and "NBC teams" that play the trap will always be described as playing "good defensive hockey". Sure, they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but I'd still say the Devils will be a contender again before Ottawa is. 

I guess that Pittsburgh fan forgot all those years the Penguins played the left wing lock, which was essentially a version of the trap. Oh wait, that was before Crosby, so that fan didn't even know the team existed before 2005 when they were lucky to get 10,000 people in the seats and almost moved every year. 

People can kick the Devils all they want, but most of them would trade their team's last 20 years with ours in a heartbeat. The Devils will always be known as a boring trap team, no matter how they play, and "NBC teams" that play the trap will always be described as playing "good defensive hockey". Sure, they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but I'd still say the Devils will be a contender again before Ottawa is. 

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a 6 page thread. Melnyk is a tool. All Sens fans can't stand him. He loves to talk and say outlandish things. Remember his own CSI investigation for the Matt Cooke hit?

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuilt the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Edited by devilsrule33

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a 6 page thread. Melnyk is a tool. All Sens fans can't stand him. He loves to talk and say outlandish things. Remember his own CSI investigation for the Matt Cooke hit?

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuild the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Yeah Bryan Murray has done a great job there and I was a huge skeptic of his.  Really shrewd moves in general - Clarke MacArthur is a guy I'd much rather have than Ryane Clowe.

Everyone:  Melnyk didn't mention the trap.   He just called NJ boring.  Which in their worst 10 games this year, they have been for anyone who isn't a Devils fan.