2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Rex doesn't deserve to get fired off this season.  It's not his fault the QB that was shoved down his throat completely fell to pieces. 

He got to two AFC Championship games with Sanchez, and had a team that almost no one thought would be any good this season playing competitive football with a rookie as his QB, who looks like he may not be any good. 

It'd be interesting to see what he could do with a good QB on his team.

Rex doesn't deserve to get fired off this season.  It's not his fault the QB that was shoved down his throat completely fell to pieces. 

He got to two AFC Championship games with Sanchez, and had a team that almost no one thought would be any good this season playing competitive football with a rookie as his QB, who looks like he may not be any good. 

It'd be interesting to see what he could do with a good QB on his team.

Depends on how these last 4 games go, but this is the first time I have a feeling his job might be in jeopardy. Still I'd lean that he stays

Jets QB's (sanchez, McElroy, geno etc) have throw for an astounding 39 interceptions over the past 28 games and when you factor in the fumbles at the QB position that is well over 50 qb turnovers. I can't even fathom what it feels like to go on a run like Foles is having in philly.

That's exactly what I mean.  Rex has gotten perhaps THE worst QB play in the NFL (the only team I can think of that's gotten worse performance out of that position is Jacksonville) the last two seasons.  How much of that should really fall on him? 

You know if Rex is canned at the end of the year...I can kind of see Shanahan here (provided is son is just an offensive assistant or something)

otherwise, what else is out there? Lovie Smith?

The lack of a viable alternative just might keep him here. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that there is no Andy Reid or Parcells or Jimmy Johnson out there. No big coaches

Maybe Jack Del Rio if he doesn't go to USC as rumored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS  (WIN)
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS  (WIN)
  • Week 11;  @ Buffalo – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 12;  @ Ravens – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 13;  vs. Fish – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 14;  vs. Raiders – WIN
  • Week 15;  @ Panthers – WIN
  • Week 16;  vs. Browns – WIN
  • Week 17;  @ Miami - LOSS

Just revisiting this. 

Only one game off on the prediction, and had the QB situation not blown up so spectacularly, the Jets had a decent chance at pulling off 9-7, though no one saw Carolina being so good on defense in 2013.   

As crazy as it sounds, after thinking about it, I could see the Jets finding a way to beat both the Raiders and the Browns in squeakers, to finish 7-9.  If they found ways to win games with Smith (who was obviously playing a LOT better earlier in the season), I think Rex (who has really done a solid job this season) and Mornhinweg might be able to squeeze a couple of wins out of Simms, especially if the defense can get it done. 

And though it won't happen, if Rex goes 7-9 with the card he's been dealt, he should be a candidate for Coach of the Year. 

Apparently Geno Smith is getting the start against Oakland.

He's not getting any help from his receiving core, but he's not helping himself either.  Oakland may be the worst pass defense left on his schedule, so if he's going to hold onto the gig with any regularity, he needs to come out and play well vs. Oakland, even if "playing well" means staying within himself and making the plays he can make.

Rex has gotten perhaps THE worst QB play in the NFL (the only team I can think of that's gotten worse performance out of that position is Jacksonville) the last two seasons.  How much of that should really fall on him? 

Mark Sanchez.. Kellen Clemens.. Mark Brunell.. Tim Tebow.. Greg McElroy.. Geno Smith.. Matt Simms.. and now, possibly David Garrard this Sunday.

..those are the quarterbacks that have played regular season games for the Jets under Ryan, since 2009. Not pre-season.. REGULAR season! Can the front office please give the son-of-a-bitch someone?! Anyone!? Is that so much to ask, before they show the fvcker the door?!?!? There's going to be a thousand QB's up for grabs via trade come March. Michael Vick, Matt Schaub, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer.. I'LL TAKE ANYONE!!!!! ANY-FVCKING-BODY AT ALL!!!! Can I at least see what the man can do with a LEGIT QB, BEFORE I DECIDE IF HE'S A GOOD HC????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:horse:

Mark Sanchez.. Kellen Clemens.. Mark Brunell.. Tim Tebow.. Greg McElroy.. Geno Smith.. Matt Simms.. and now, possibly David Garrard this Sunday.

..those are the quarterbacks that have played regular season games for the Jets under Ryan, since 2009. Not pre-season.. REGULAR season! Can the front office please give the son-of-a-bitch someone?! Anyone!? Is that so much to ask, before they show the fvcker the door?!?!?

A part of me agrees...but Rex has made no bones about the fact he doesn't really want to get involved in the offense too much anyway.  Especially now with Morningweg around (a legit offensive mind).  It would be nice to have some weapons period.  The skill position players the last two years have been a joke as well.  

Where the QB thing hinders Rex the most is it affects the defense when they're constantly on the field, working with short fields and with basically zero margin for error.

Beez, Ryan was clearly set up to fail this season. Idzik doesn't want him as his HC. Coming into the season, I think the feeling was, if the Jets win 4 or 5 games, it's OK by the fans if Rex gets canned. But now, even if the Jets lose out, with Smith's play hitting a Ryan Leaf-like low, almost everyone is saying that NO head coach could get much more out of this team than Rex has. I think he has a lot more allies now, who sympathize with his plight, and want to see what he could do with a middle-of-the-road QB or better (which he's never really had, though Sanchez at least showed the ability to play well in big games early in his career).  

Rex's biggest failure in recruiting, was not being able to convince Brett Favre to return in 2009. The Jets would've won the Superbowl that season.

This is a stretch.  I get what you're doing...you're basically saying that Sanchez had weak numbers that season yet the Jets managed to go to the AFC Conference Championship game, while Favre had a very eye-friendly season with the Vikings, so you're subbing in Favre for Sanchez and assuming it would've resulted in a Super Bowl win.

Favre had 22 TDs and 22 picks with the Jets in 2008...not so sure he necessarily would've done much better as a Jet in 2009...just because he played well with the Vikings doesn't mean he would've done the same with the Jets.  And as we all know, Favre was prone to making bad throws and mistakes throughout his career.  He was such an unpredictable wild-card throughout his whole career, really (and has the 336 INTs in 302 regular season games to prove it).  I can't assume any team with Favre is a lock to win a Super Bowl.  Guy played 19 seasons where he was his team's starting QB, and his teams got there twice and won once.   

Also, after he got to his second Super Bowl (the loss to Denver), he went 4-7 in his next 11 playoff games (never winning more than one playoff game in any of his next seven postseasons), throwing 21 TDs and 20 INTs.  His numbers in the losses were especially putrid (11 TDs, 19 INTs).  Three of those losses came at home.  There's not much of a compelling case to suggest that his taking the Jets to a Super Bowl win was a foregone conclusion. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think there was any way to keep Favre another year anyway, he had a bug up his butt about the Packers and wanted to go to Minnesota for a year, it was either Vikings or retire for him that offseason.

This too, he used the Jets to get away from the Packers so he could later play for Minnesota and get back at Green Bay.  One thing Favre definitely was NOT in his later years was likable.  And even worse, ESPN treated the NFL's greatest compiler like he was the Michael Jordan of NFL QBs.  Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are light years ahead of him, in terms of ability, as are some select others, but ESPN was trying to make him out to be the best ever, which simply isn't remotely true.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well the Jets kept their season on life support today by beating Oakland 37-27. Didn't get much help elsewhere around the league though

Currently we need Tennessee and SD to lose

The offense looked better with Kerley in there. Geno had his usual stupid INT and threw high and wide on some open receivers (who made plays). So ultimately it didn't look like such a bad day statistically. Even the TD pass to Kerley was a bit too risky. He also made some nice plays with some legs.

Jets benched Stephen Hill today. Totally inactive. Looks like Dave Nelson is ahead of him on the depth chart now. And he deserves to be, Nelson is proving to be a nice receiver.

Edited by '7'

Well the Jets kept their season on life support today by beating Oakland 37-27. Didn't get much help elsewhere around the league though

The offense looked better with Kerley in there. 

6-3 with Kerley in the lineup, 0-4 without :blink:

Edited by NJDevs4978

6-3 with Kerley in the lineup, 0-4 without :blink:

He's a solid slot threat. Runs like the win and catches everything. It is a big difference when he's in there

Wish Hill could develop into a deep threat...time is running out on him.

The offense looked better with Kerley in there. Geno had his usual stupid INT and threw high and wide on some open receivers (who made plays). So ultimately it didn't look like such a bad day statistically. Even the TD pass to Kerley was a bit too risky. He also made some nice plays with some legs.

Jets benched Stephen Hill today. Totally inactive. Looks like Dave Nelson is ahead of him on the depth chart now. And he deserves to be, Nelson is proving to be a nice receiver.

hill was healthy? wow says a lot