2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

would a jets fan really be proud of making it at 8-8

Truth-be-told, I’m already quite proud of the Jets. I'm proud I'm watching my team play meaningful games in December, for the 6th straight season.

Dec. 11 2013; Jets are 6-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2012; Jets are 6-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2011; Jets are 8-5 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2010; Jets are 9-4 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2009; Jets are 7-6 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2008; Jets are 9-5 with a shot at the playoffs.

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1987.. and Christmas time was saved for Yankees hot-stove excitement, and to root for the Devils growing up in my house. RARELY was it ever a time to watch Jet games energized for a possible postseason berth.

..all things considered, the Rex Ryan era has been pretty good to me.

Truth-be-told, I’m already quite proud of the Jets. I'm proud I'm watching my team play meaningful games in December, for the 6th straight season.

Dec. 11 2013; Jets are 6-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2012; Jets are 6-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2011; Jets are 8-5 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2010; Jets are 9-4 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2009; Jets are 7-6 with a shot at the playoffs.

Dec. 11 2008; Jets are 9-5 with a shot at the playoffs.

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1987.. and Christmas time was saved for Yankees hot-stove excitement, and to root for the Devils growing up in my house. RARELY was it ever a time to watch Jet games energized for a possible postseason berth.

..all things considered, the Rex Ryan era has been pretty good to me.

that's a good point...I mean how much meaningful mid december football would a Jets fan 1971-1980 have watched?

1987-1996. That team could barely win a home game in december

u get what i mean though. more than half of your wins came to nfc teams and all of your loses are to afc. how fair is to get in at 8-8 when there are so many more qualified teams not making it in the nfc. would a jets fan really be proud of making it at 8-8

The system is what it is.  The top 12 games based on W-L record aren't the ones that get in.  Seattle once hosted a friggin' wild-card home game with a 7-9 record, against a team that was 11-5. 

As along as you have a divisional format where the division winners are guaranteed playoff berths 1-4, then occasionally a team will seem to get "screwed", but that's how it goes.  You're never going to see a pure 1-15 conference ranking where there's no divisions (or a 1-30 ranking system that ignores conferences altogether), so it's pointless to bitch about a seemingly "unworthy" team getting in at the expense of a team with a better record.  Divisions and conferences help to build rivalries...even with the anomalies, I wouldn't want to see them eliminated. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

DR wanted Rivera to be more bold ironically enough but going for it on 4th and 2 up 10 was pretty reckless.  Gave the Jets an unneccesary momentum swing.  I honestly think that's why Rex ran Richardson there on the goalline.  

Too bad the blocked punt gave that TD right back to them.

DR wanted Rivera to be more bold ironically enough but going for it on 4th and 2 up 10 was pretty reckless.  Gave the Jets an unneccesary momentum swing.  I honestly think that's why Rex ran Richardson there on the goalline.  

Too bad the blocked punt gave that TD right back to them.

I don't buy it. The difference between 10 and 13 points can be very irrelevant in this game. Say Carolina kicks the field goal, who knows what the Jets do next, but if they score, the difference between 16-13 and 19-13 isn't much. It forces the Jets to go for a score later in the game (well it should).

I don't see any momentum change. The Jets had a great drive, but the Panthers defense and special teams stepped up when it had to. That's what you hope when you go for it. Field goals accomplish nothing in this league. 

Panthers had a pretty ugly red zone game. Haven't loved the play-calling there the last few games. Kept the Jets around longer than they should have, but got to give the Jets their due for that.

I don't buy it. The difference between 10 and 13 points can be very irrelevant in this game. Say Carolina kicks the field goal, who knows what the Jets do next, but if they score, the difference between 16-13 and 19-13 isn't much. It forces the Jets to go for a score later in the game (well it should).

It wasn't about the points, it was about the momentum the Jets got by making the stop on fourth down, you gave a comatose team some life.  Of course it didn't last very long though it would have been interesting to see how the game played out if we didn't give away three TD's.

At least people can stop the delusions about the Jets making the playoffs lol (yeah yeah I know we're still mathematically alive, just wait till Josh Gordon torches Cromartie and Ed Reed for 200 yards and 2 TD's next week).

Edited by NJDevs4978

lol the typical Geno pick-6.  New York may have the three worst QB's on NFL rosters right now.

Truth-be-told.. I thought Geno has turned the corner somewhat since he was benched for Simms.

After 10 weeks of football, MM appears to have finally realized HOW to use Geno.. namely, his legs! The kid’s got 100 yrds rushing over the last 2 games, and 3 TD’s to boot. Last month, he would’ve went through his progressions, and if nobody was open, Geno would’ve either thrown a pick, or freeze and get sacked. Now you can see the difference. If it’s not there, Geno’s taking off! --and as a result, the Jets have put up 57 points over the last 2 weeks. We’re not losing games anymore because of our offense.. we’re losing games because our defense is allowing 27 points or more, and asking our offense to score 30!

If I’m Woody Johnson, I really examine the situation(s) on this team beyond what the win\loss record will be by seasons end. The fact that the game was 16-13 with 10 minutes left in the 4th, against a very good Carolina team on the road is indeed promising. The Jets are just VERY thin at skilled positions, and when it comes down to it, they need to play a perfect game to beat quality teams. That’s asking a lot for any team in the NFL. Blocked punts, fumbles, interceptions, these things happen during the course of the game. Deep teams that have talent can overcome. The Jets don’t .

Woody needs to ask himself.. could another coach've gotten more than 7 or 8 wins out of this team? The answer is no.

At least people can stop the delusions about the Jets making the playoffs lol (yeah yeah I know we're still mathematically alive, just wait till Josh Gordon torches Cromartie and Ed Reed for 200 yards and 2 TD's next week).

Step 1: Baltimore loses tonight.

Step 2: Jets beat the Browns

Step 3: San Diego, Miami & Baltimore all lose next week.

Result: A crazy Week 17 worth watching. :thumbsup: 

..it's all I got, and until it's officially over, I'm praying for a miracle.

Edited by Beezer34

lol the typical Geno pick-6.  New York may have the three worst QB's on NFL rosters right now.

Does that sum up a season or what? "Typical" pick-6. I didn't realize there could be such a thing, but I guess with Geno and the Jets, it has been.

The Jets need a QB in the worst way (I know, I am a genius). The difference between Carolina and the Jets are 3 players...QB play and the linebackers. In the NFL, that's usually the difference between playoffs and not. 

well that's the dagger. A Justin Tucker miracle field goal followed by an idiotic pick by moron Stafford. Not that we would've made it anyway. Every single game. (Dolphins, Chargers past several weeks, Ravens getting miracle after miracle) haven't gone the Jets way. Not that the Jets have helped themselves either.

Surprised with how many passes Johnson dropped today. He had like 3 big drops. Looked like Stephen Hill out there. And with 38 seconds to go and 3 time outs Stafford just throwing up idiotic lobs when he likely could just take 10 yard dump offs. Baltimore was giving him that. Your first play there doesn't need to be riverboat gambler football.

There was a big missed PI in this game where the Detroit receiver (Durham?) had his arm locked up and quite obviously prevented him from making the catch. Heck he almost made that 1 armed play anyway. Shocked no flag there, that's a penalty pretty much always.

Edited by '7'

The Ravens don't get miracle after miracle, we make miracles happen.

We don't have the talent that other teams have, but we have the coaching that allows us believe we can overcome anything to win.

I will concede the Tucker kick was an amazing kick by a great football player. No miracle

But the calls in the viking game and the no call against Durham in the endzone were more miracles, since you had referees really acting out of character making those calls.

You won with only field goals: p

Exactly.

I will concede the Tucker kick was an amazing kick by a great football player. No miracle

But the calls in the viking game and the no call against Durham in the endzone were more miracles, since you had referees really acting out of character making those calls.

I don't equate miracles with bad judgement.

Now with Morningweg around (a legit offensive mind) it would be nice to have some weapons. The skill position players the last two years have been a joke. Where the QB thing hinders Rex the most is it affects the defense when they're constantly on the field, working with short fields and with basically zero margin for error.

Paradigm Shift!

When training-camp opened in August, the Jets starters were: Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jeff Cumberland, Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, etc. The same nucleus from 2009. John Idzik couple that core with 1-year stop gaps: Josh Cribbs, Mike Goodson, Alex Green, Kellen Winslow, Greg Salas, David Nelson, and the rest of the castaways from the land of misfit toys.

Looking ahead; With the exceptions of Chris Ivory & Jeremy Kerley.. EVERYONE’S role is up in the air next season. (and yes, that includes younger players like Stephen Hill, Geno Smith & Bilal Powell) I can’t name 1 player who I can emphatically say will 100% be here next season. In fact, the Jets may pink-slip everyone.. and quite frankly I’D BE FINE WITH THAT! Idzik has his work cut-out for him here. We have no #1 WR.. no #2 WR. We have no #1 or #2 TE. We have no FB, no RT, no LG, but most of all.. we have no real QB. This is 2013. You need a QB to have a fighting chance in the NFL. Defense may win championships, but offense wins fvcking games. I for one am DONE with developing a QB! I don’t want to hear about Teddy Bridgewater, or Derek Carr, or Johnny Football. We’ve been “grooming quarterbacks” for the past 5 years. I AM DONE!!!!! If Rex is to remain head coach, then for God’s sake.. GIVE THIS MAN A FVCKING QUARTERBACK! Whether that’s Jay Cutler, or Michael Vick. Ben Roethlisberger.. Matt Schaub.. ANYBODY!! Seriously, I want a fvcking quarterback. We haven’t had a real QB since Brett Favre 6 fvcking years ago. --and as much as everyone wants to sh!t on that season, no one was complaining when the Jets were 8-3. When Favre was healthy, the Jets were rolling. When he tore his biceps tendon AND his right shoulder ligament, THAT’S when the season went to sh!t. Signing\Trading\Finding a bona`fide quarterback needs to be priority number one for the front office. The fans are done with Tim Tebow, Matt Simms, Geno Smith, Greg McElroy.. WE WANT A LEGIT STARTER. :angry: 

exactly, that's why I laugh when lurking on Jets message boards and watching them dismiss the likes of Cutler and Schaub. Neither are perfect but are legit NFL starters. If one of them ever gets behind center for the Jets, Jets fans will marvel at how night and day it will become in comparison to Sanchez/Smith. Cutler doesn't need to managed and handled and protected. 

As for receiver...one will be drafted (maybe even with our first picks) and with a ton of cap space this off-season, I'd like to see them sign Jeremy Maclin. Kerley is coming back and I believe Hill will be given one last chance in camp

We need another O-Lineman as well, and I wouldn't hesitate taking the best one on the board in the 2nd round

With our 2 third round picks, I would take a playmaking tight end as well as a safety

Hopefully rounds 4 down we can find a Leon Washington type

Mike Evans may be your best choice in the mid-first round.  Sammy Watkins is also up there, but there are way too many teams above the Jets to feel comfortable about getting Watkins (and of all the years, I would not trade up; I suspect the Jets could benefit from bulk in picks in rounds 1-3).  Heck, you may be able to trade down and still get Evans + some picks.

exactly, that's why I laugh when lurking on Jets message boards and watching them dismiss the likes of Cutler and Schaub. Neither are perfect but are legit NFL starters. If one of them ever gets behind center for the Jets, Jets fans will marvel at how night and day it will become in comparison to Sanchez/Smith. Cutler doesn't need to managed and handled and protected. 

As for receiver...one will be drafted (maybe even with our first picks) and with a ton of cap space this off-season, I'd like to see them sign Jeremy Maclin. Kerley is coming back and I believe Hill will be given one last chance in camp

We need another O-Lineman as well, and I wouldn't hesitate taking the best one on the board in the 2nd round

With our 2 third round picks, I would take a playmaking tight end as well as a safety

Hopefully rounds 4 down we can find a Leon Washington type

The question ultimately comes down to whether Schaub or Cutler, and whatever weapons you want to give them, will put the Jets close to competing with the Patriots, Broncos (and, gasp! might I say Miami).  If not, you're at best a pretty good team that is in the playoff discussion, which I assume Jets fans don't want.

Schaub clearly regressed this year, while having a lot of weapons, so who knows whether he's the answer.  Cutler is a bit risky in that if you sign him, you're doing it for big money, and you're committed to him taking you to the promised land.  Cutler is definitely an improvement over what's there now, and Schaub might be.

Really, I think the Jets would be best served looking for a franchise QB through the draft until they get it right. 

The question ultimately comes down to whether Schaub or Cutler, and whatever weapons you want to give them, will put the Jets close to competing with the Patriots, Broncos (and, gasp! might I say Miami).  If not, you're at best a pretty good team that is in the playoff discussion, which I assume Jets fans don't want.

Schaub clearly regressed this year, while having a lot of weapons, so who knows whether he's the answer.  Cutler is a bit risky in that if you sign him, you're doing it for big money, and you're committed to him taking you to the promised land.  Cutler is definitely an improvement over what's there now, and Schaub might be.

Really, I think the Jets would be best served looking for a franchise QB through the draft until they get it right. 

that's a legit course of action, just keep trying...discard the geno's/sanchez's and keep looking until you've found a Luck or stumbled upon a Brees. But Jets fans I believe are tired of young QB's developing. 

Plus if they go the young QB route again this draft, the QB position will again lag behind as the rest of the team is built up. The Jets have a ton of cap space this year and an elite defensive line. They will spend money in the offseason shoring up what they need to shore up with free agents as well as the draft (plus they have an extra 3rd with the Revis trade) We don't want the QB position holding us back again as some rookie throws 25 picks and fumbles 8 times (well Cutler might throw 25 picks but 30 td's as well) as other parts of the team are ready to compete.

that's a legit course of action, just keep trying...discard the geno's/sanchez's and keep looking until you've found a Luck or stumbled upon a Brees. But Jets fans I believe are tired of young QB's developing. 

Plus if they go the young QB route again this draft, the QB position will again lag behind as the rest of the team is built up. The Jets have a ton of cap space this year and an elite defensive line. They will spend money in the offseason shoring up what they need to shore up with free agents as well as the draft (plus they have an extra 3rd with the Revis trade) We don't want the QB position holding us back again as some rookie throws 25 picks and fumbles 8 times (well Cutler might throw 25 picks but 30 td's as well) as other parts of the team are ready to compete.

Yeah, I definitely understand the frustration with the trial and error approach.  But that's the situation that virtually every team has found themselves in at one time or another. 

I think Cutler is a moot point anyway since he's probably going to re-sign with Chicago.

I think we all make the mistake of thinking rookies can't come right in and have some success (in the 80s and 90s, that was very true).  But we've seen, especially with all of the rule changes benefitting offenses, it doesn't necessarily have to be ugly four or five-win seasons for two or three years.  Look at Tannehill, Luck, RG III, Flacco, Newton...not like they completely dragged their teams down despite having no NFL experience.  Of course, it's all about drafting the RIGHT guy, and there's no guarantees...just saying the young QB route no longer equals instant irrelevance for the short-term.

There are two recipes for success in establishing a franchise QB:

draft them, but don't rush them into the starting job: Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees,Tony Romo.

2. Drafting a franchise QB should be the Final piece of the puzzle. First priority is the O-line, Running game, WR corps then QB. Mark Sanchez, Flacco (by accident ), Big Ben.

For every big splash picks like Andrew Luck, there are at least five failures.

Gino Smith suffered the same fate as Sanchez the last few years in NY: an inconsistent O-line and probably the weakest corps of WR in the game and a weak running game. A young QB should not be thrown to the wolves like this.

Tony Romo was an undrafted player.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, 199th overall.  Patriots flipped-flopped between taking Brady or Tim Rattay with that pick, before settling on Brady.

Just because they've become franchise QBs now doesn't mean they were envisioned as such when they were starting out in the NFL.  Scouts and teams don't let franchise QBs go undrafted or slip to 199th.  Brady got his chance out of dumb luck (Bledsoe, who WAS considered to be the indisputable #1 guy in NE at the time, got hurt), and Romo got his shot because Bledsoe was over the hill.  Both guys clearly made the very most out of their chances, but neither guy was signed to his team with the thinking "We've got a franchise QB here."  Romo was almost cut in 2004 (Dallas had signed Vinny Testaverde and traded a 3rd-rounder for Drew Henson), but Quincy Carter was cut instead, due to allegations of substance abuse. 

And teams have to draft the guy they think can be their franchise QB when he's available to them, regardless of the other pieces that may or may not already be in place.  I'm not talking about the Jets specifically here (Geno Smith is a little more of a lower-risk, possible high-reward, being a mid-round 2nd rounder), but you can't pass up a guy you think can be one of the NFL's best for years to come just because the team doesn't have all of its positions filled out.  If you truly feel like your young QB can be THAT good, you can fill in the pieces around him in the next few seasons, as he develops.  You WILL get guys like WR, RB, OL...if a QB is that good, high-profile players will want to sign with a team with a young, top-tier QB.  If you're a team picking in the upper first round without a decent QB on your roster and there's a guy there you feel like will be as close to a sure thing as possible, I don't think you say, "Well, we're not ready to take a guy like that yet."  You nab him, even sit him for a year if you have to, but you don't pass him up.  Drafts are very year-to-year...I think you have to act when you get your shot at a potential top-tier QB.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976