The Official Trade Brian Gionta thread

Triumph

i wanted to quote myself for emphasis here - i just looked at all UFA's for the next two years on defense. this is the list of even "worth a look" UFA's on defense:

JM Liles

Wade Redden

Jaroslav Spacek

Jason Smith

Rob Blake

Brad Stuart

Dan Boyle

Barrett Jackman

Andreas Lilja

Mat Schneider

Brian Campbell

assuming that the devils need to change out the defensemen for the better over the rest of brodeur's contract in order to have a real chance at the Cup, I'd say that Corrente needs to pan out and at least one UFA dman needs to be brought in along with a trade likely. of this list above, campbell is far and away my man. i'd think about boyle as well but he is a total zero in the defensive zone.

I really do feel that this is Lou's 'plan'. Bring in a little outside help, bring up a couple of guys from within, and make a serious run for it all from 2009-10 until Marty hangs 'em up.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JM Liles and Brian Campbell are too much like Paul Martin - the Devils need a guy who can not only run a power play but crank a few shots in as well. I'd avoid both. Although you're right to say Campbell won't get 7 million - I thought he had a 60-65 point year with the Sabres, apparently not.

Redden's interesting, but a little too soft for my taste. Great outlet passer though.

Surprised Michal Roszival's not on your list.

My top picks are Dan Boyle and Brad Stuart - both guys can bring it from the blueline. Stuart's defensive zone coverage has never been the best, but hopefully some time in New Jersey's system could cure him of that problem.

They need to let Paul Martin grow into that PP QB in the Rafalski role (remember, when Brian was Paul's age, he was just beginning his second season in the NHL) - and get another guy who can really blast it from the point.

Edited by Triumph

JM Liles and Brian Campbell are too much like Paul Martin - the Devils need a guy who can not only run a power play but crank a few shots in as well. I'd avoid both. Although you're right to say Campbell won't get 7 million - I thought he had a 60-65 point year with the Sabres, apparently not.

Redden's interesting, but a little too soft for my taste. Great outlet passer though.

Surprised Michal Roszival's not on your list.

My top picks are Dan Boyle and Brad Stuart - both guys can bring it from the blueline. Stuart's defensive zone coverage has never been the best, but hopefully some time in New Jersey's system could cure him of that problem.

They need to let Paul Martin grow into that PP QB in the Rafalski role (remember, when Brian was Paul's age, he was just beginning his second season in the NHL) - and get another guy who can really blast it from the point.

i agree that liles is like martin but i think campbell is better all around (much better as a skater) and a better passer. campbell can certainly run a PP.

redden has a lot of miles on him and seems like he will not age well considering he'll also get a 5/30 kinda deal.

i'd be ok with boyle - i'd just rather campbell.

i just don't like brad stuart - he is way overrated for my taste.

roszival was missed for the purposes of my list (as were nick boynton, paul mara, and derek morris) but i still don't like the idea of any of them on the devils.

problem with martin is he doesnt have a hard shot, or at least he certainly doesnt use it from the point. now of course rafalski proved you dont need a hard shot to be effective, but he is one of few can be effective without one. Most PP QBs have blasts.

Yeah I always liked brad stuart, but he is definitely a liability on defense, especially in the last couple years. The only way I would want him is if larry could turn his defensive game around. Stuart is not as young and moldable as martin was when robinson started teaching him, so its quite a gamble. I like the hard nosed game jackman brings to the table, and boyle would be great but he is kind of a little bit a poor mans rafalski imo. dont get me wrong, boyle IS good, but I think raffy has more defensive intelligence.

campbell would be great, but lets be honest, I dont think he is a #1 defensemen yet. although really non of the guys on this list are all around #1s.

i guess in my mind when I think #1 I'm seeing lidstrom, so ignore that. hehe

Gionta for Brian Campbell...Gionta is a Ra Cha Cha native...thoughts?

i called for this and would be fine with it as the basis of the deal - but the devils need an offensive player back in the deal:

gionta

andy greene

for

brian campbell

drew stafford

campbell will not sign before UFA so the devils need something to keep if they deal away gionta.

i called for this and would be fine with it as the basis of the deal - but the devils need an offensive player back in the deal:

gionta

andy greene

for

brian campbell

drew stafford

campbell will not sign before UFA so the devils need something to keep if they deal away gionta.

I dont think the sabres would go for this tbh, but it is a good basis for a deal. adjustments would have to be made, with either prospects or picks. they value cambell and stafford highly, and while andy greene is good, we value him more than most teams do. gio in buffalo would be a good fit though.

I think what the devils really need is for Zajac to get better, and for Sutter to stop screwing with the lines every 2 days so we can start to get some chemistry going on offense.

True, but I can't see Zajac developing with a utility winger, Zubrus (Face it, without AO, he's not a scorer), along with slumping Gionta. Zajac looks a LOT more comfortable out there when he's playing with either Zach or Langs, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want Sutter screwing with our top scoring line, the PEG/PEL line.

If Gionta isn't dealt, I say stick with these top two lines:

Parise - Elias - Gionta

Zubrus - Zajac - Langs

And just hope that Zajac can start to generate some offense with Langs out there.

Edited by CaptainPatrik

I think what the devils really need is for Zajac to get better, and for Sutter to stop screwing with the lines every 2 days so we can start to get some chemistry going on offense.

I don't get the whole 'stop screwing with the lines' - do you really think it's lack of chemistry affecting the Devils forwards? Sutter usually changes the lines up after a loss or after a prolonged period of incompetence. He's kept the D pairings the same for last couple games now, FWIW.

Zajac has improved over the last 2 months - hopefully he takes the big jump next year but I think it will be another season before Zajac is truly a 2nd line center in the NHL.

I don't get the whole 'stop screwing with the lines' - do you really think it's lack of chemistry affecting the Devils forwards? Sutter usually changes the lines up after a loss or after a prolonged period of incompetence. He's kept the D pairings the same for last couple games now, FWIW.

Yeah I think chemistry is first and foremost the issue.

I think you need to play with a group of guys for at least 2 months if you want to develop chemistry. Every opponent has different defensive strategies/abilities, and you need to spend time with one group in order to figure out how to best attack them. Just because something doesnt work for a few games doesn't mean the lines are poor, the lines themselves need to make adjustments. The devils are always playing with someone new so they have no idea of what to expect when attacking. Thats why every game the devils strat on offense seems to be the same, the simplest strategy possible: put pucks on net and hope to get a bounce.

At first I liked the line shuffling, because its a new coach and some new pieces, but i figured at this point of the season things would be more or less settled. Before the playoffs he needs to get some stability in there.

The problem with the Devils top 6 is this, they're all incompatible with each other. Every player has talent and will score, but there will never be any lasting chemistry. That's why we've been shut out something like 7 times this season.

This team has six guys who are good goal scorers and good passers, but none of them have superstars skills that raise the game of others around them. Gomez could do that, so can Forsberg.

The problem with the Devils top 6 is this, they're all incompatible with each other. Every player has talent and will score, but there will never be any lasting chemistry. That's why we've been shut out something like 7 times this season.

This team has six guys who are good goal scorers and good passers, but none of them have superstars skills that raise the game of others around them. Gomez could do that, so can Forsberg.

The problem with the Devils top 6 is only 3 of them are top 6 players and they are all Elias and Parise are very similar and Gionta is more of a stationary slot scorer. The other three are third line players. The Devils need a true center for the first line first and foremost and they need a second line center. This team just isn't that good as configured. Without Marty they might have 15 wins. Once again Marty is the MVP in this league and once again he will not get it.

I chuckle every time I see mentioned that not changing some line combination will make it play better. These guys have been playing together at different times for over 40 games now and for some of them across different season. It isn't chemistry, it just is what it is.

True, but I can't see Zajac developing with a utility winger, Zubrus (Face it, without AO, he's not a scorer), along with slumping Gionta. Zajac looks a LOT more comfortable out there when he's playing with either Zach or Langs, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want Sutter screwing with our top scoring line, the PEG/PEL line.

If Gionta isn't dealt, I say stick with these top two lines:

Parise - Elias - Gionta

Zubrus - Zajac - Langs

And just hope that Zajac can start to generate some offense with Langs out there.

I think Campbell is till the best bet at $6.25 for 5 years far and away.

Young, moldable, and another badly needed PP QB. Even if he is similar to Martin I would not mind a nother one given what is out there now. Stuart would for sure be my second choice.

If Larry & Co. can get maximum results out of someone like Mottau, imagine what they could do with Campbell.

Redden is soft, over-hyped, and knows he's got the spotlight, not sure if he gives his all every night (like any of our players do?)? Fool GM's will be throwing ridiculous Timmonen deals at him.

We need defense before offense, too - get a real PP D man and everyone in our top 6 scores 2 more goals a year.

Didn't consider this. I don't think it makes much sense for Tampa.

Huh? I don't follow. Our team offense is 25th in goals per game while our team defense is 4th in goals against. So clearly you can't be suggesting that our defense is lacking defensively. Are you suggesting our anemic offense is a problem caused by our defense?

- Jeff

Getting back on topic, get rid of Brian Gionta. He had one great season and has fallen off the map without fellow Oompa Loompa linemate Gomez. The bets bet is to trade him and his $4 mil to anyone willing to part with anything that has a pulse.

That "shot" during the Buffalo shootout was embarrassing. The Devils might as well sign me to take his place in the shootout. I'd skate the other direction and slam the puck off the boards as hard as I could, hoping it would skitter across the ice back towards Miller and through his five-hole. The odds of that happening are significantly higher than the garbage shot Gio took on Wednesday. It reminded me of a blue line slapshot he took in a shootout a year or to ago versus Lundqvist. What a waste.

Then last night, he had about 10 seconds to make a play at the side of the net, and instead of doing anything intelligent, he shot it squarely at Jonas Hiller, covering the post, hoping the puck would squeeze through the goalie's ribcage and out his back.

He'll probably put out good Brian Rolston-like seasons for a couple years somewhere else, but his time in NJ had best be dwindling for my ever-shrinking sanity.

Huh? I don't follow. Our team offense is 25th in goals per game while our team defense is 4th in goals against. So clearly you can't be suggesting that our defense is lacking defensively. Are you suggesting our anemic offense is a problem caused by our defense?

- Jeff

Edited by Triumph