#41 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

You know what Lou has made sure of...

"New Jersey Devils draft the son of the guy who did this (clip of double OT game 7 plays)"

thanks lou, can't get enough of seeing that

I'm sure the first thing Lou takes into consideration when managing the team is what fans are going to see on MSG.

also it looks like kind of a reach. Ranked 41 on one list, 34 on another. Better talent was to be had

TSN had him at 23, so it goes both ways. All in all, he was a fitting pick at 29. No need to try hard to find anything on the guy just because of his father.

#42 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

Bloodlines aside, this kid is a great pick. He was a faller in the draft and IMO we got a huge steal here guys, put aside the last name, this kid can become a great player for us.

New avy, btw, show us what you got, kid!
25smul5.png

#43 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

is the part of stefan matteau being played by paul dano

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Future Considerations: New Jersey Takes Matteau 29th Overall

A big, strong power forward who plays with an ornery temperament. He has good skating ability for a bigger player and nice speed, but his first couple steps are not the fastest. He’s a wrecking ball with good size, plays with constant energy and has very strong aggressiveness. He hits everyone hard and always makes his presence known on the forecheck. He compliments his physical game with solid offensive skills including a hard wrist shot and some underrated playmaking abilities. He loves to take the puck to the net hard and fight for those second and third chances. He can carry the puck up ice and into the offensive zone but does not have much flash or the ability to dangle. He’s smart and understands how to play the game in a straight forward way. Discipline concerns crept into his game this year as he made a few bad on-ice decisions that left him watching games while serving suspensions for his infractions. The son of former NHLer Stephane Matteau plays with more grit and skill than his father, who he will join next year when he moves to Blainville-Boisbriand of the Quebec league where his father is an assistant coach.

In Lou We Trust: Stefan Matteau: The New Jersey Devils 1st Round Pick of the 2012 NHL Draft

A lot of great information in the In Lou We Trust post as usual.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

This is the future considerations of the 1994 deal between the Rangers and the Devils. Stanly cup for Matteau's first born son.

Edited by Joe B, 22 June 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Joe

#47 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Matteau stole the show both on tv and on twitter. Yakupov is not trending, Matteau trending worldwide.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#48 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

im gonna sleep on this one... not too sure what to think

www.SterioDesign.com

#49 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

:blink:

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#50 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

im gonna sleep on this one... not too sure what to think

kid said devils made him work out twice and talked to him in pitt, clearly lou is interested in the player and wont waste a pick he could have used for kovie penalty on a random troll grudge match.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#51 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

kid said devils made him work out twice and talked to him in pitt, clearly lou is interested in the player and wont waste a pick he could have used for kovie penalty on a random troll grudge match.

He was also mocked to us at least a few weeks prior to the draft by an NHL.com guy. They knew this kid had a chance to be available before they decided to keep the pick. Its clear that they did their homework.

It will be interesting to see where we're picking in future drafts. Easy way out is to say we shoulda given it up this year, but only time will answer that.

Video courtesy of Puck Daddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuHtAYDHnc

Edited by ghdi, 22 June 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#52 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

Does Messier have a kid?
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#53 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'm pissed off with this pick. One-fvck his dad. Two-this guy could've been had iin the second round. Three-we kept our pick for this unimpressive sh!t?

#54 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

I don't understand why we kept our pick this year just to do this. It really boggles the mind. 29th pick is bad enough, but to then get a player that is neither here nor there in terms of what we need. I just don't get it.

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm pissed off with this pick. One-fvck his dad. Two-this guy could've been had iin the second round. Three-we kept our pick for this unimpressive sh!t?

1) he's not his dad. 2) he was the highest ranked forward still available according to Mackenzie. I trust him. 3) clearly Lou and conte saw something in him to keep the pick.

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know hockey.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

I don't understand why we kept our pick this year just to do this. It really boggles the mind. 29th pick is bad enough, but to then get a player that is neither here nor there in terms of what we need. I just don't get it.

The Devils have drafted for need in the Lou Lamoriello era exactly 0 times. BPA. That's how Lou rolls.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

1) he's not his dad. 2) he was the highest ranked forward still available according to Mackenzie. I trust him. 3) clearly Lou and conte saw something in him to keep the pick.

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know hockey.

POST OF THE DAY!

Jesus I can't believe how many people are complaining about this pick. The guy is as good a prospect as anyone else that was available, who cares what his dad did 18 years ago?

Not only do I hope he becomes a great Devil, I hope he scores an overtime goal against the Rangers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals and gives a whole new meaning to "MATTEAU!!!"

Edited by devilsfan26, 22 June 2012 - 11:40 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#58 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

@NHLDevils
Stefan Matteau works out in the offseason with Dainius Zubrus, and spoke to Zubrus by telephone after being drafted tonight.

The more I read, the more I like. They knew who they were picking.

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

@NHLDevils
Stefan Matteau works out in the offseason with Dainius Zubrus, and spoke to Zubrus by telephone after being drafted tonight.

The more I read, the more I like. They knew who they were picking.

Weird but interesting. I like that many scouts say he is a fast skater given his size. I really like this pick, hopefully we get a good look at him during camp.

Edited by Zubie#8, 22 June 2012 - 11:45 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

He plays into being a "better" David Clarkson......minus the flopping of course. And because his name is Matteau, you know he can wrap around. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a big physical center who plays with an edge. He'll compliment some of the softer playing Swedes that were drafted and create opportunities from the forecheck. I have no problem with this pick.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users