All MLB Thread

devilsrule33

Because there is more to baseball than the Yankees and Mets. Maybe this thread will be a failure because I don't know if people here are baseball fans or mostly Yankees and Mets fans.

But there is a lot to talk about including how good Evan Longoria and Jason Bay are. How Zach Greinke is simply sick. 0.51 ERA after 7 starts and the only way the dude loses if his team doesn't score a run when he throws a complete game 4 hitter.

Will the Jays and Royals be in the race late in the season? How badly will the loss of Manny hurt the Dodgers?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread, good idea.. there's probably mostly Yank/Met fans here but this is a nice thread to just discuss other teams, players, and games in general.

I dont think the Jays will last, AL East is too stacked and the Rays and Yankees haven't even started getting going yet.. Even without Manny I think the Dodgers will have no problems in that division, the only 2 teams that have a legit shot at challenging them are the D-Backs who have been awful, and possibly the Giants who have the pitching but dont have the bats. The weakness people thought the Dodgers would have would be their pitching, but so far its been quite the contrary; they are 1st in the NL in ERA.

btw, Longoria is off to an amazing start.. he's already more than halfway to his RBI total of last year (85 RBI in 2008, 44 so far in 2009 and thats in only 30 games .. WOW) hes batting .367/.415/.767 (equaling a ridiculous 1.181 OPS) with 11 HR/44 RBI. Man.....

Edited by nmigliore

Well the interesting thing about the Jays is that they have never had trouble with the AL East. Any Red Sox fan can tell you that the Jays have had their number over the last few years. They have also done pretty well against the Yanks. It has been everyone else that has been their problem.

The Jays first "test" comes this week against the Yanks. I am excited to see how they do. Tuesday's pitching matchup is getting a lot of talk north of the border when Halladay faces Burnett. Should be a good game.

Well the interesting thing about the Jays is that they have never had trouble with the AL East. Any Red Sox fan can tell you that the Jays have had their number over the last few years. They have also done pretty well against the Yanks. It has been everyone else that has been their problem.

The Jays first "test" comes this week against the Yanks. I am excited to see how they do. Tuesday's pitching matchup is getting a lot of talk north of the border when Halladay faces Burnett. Should be a good game.

I think Burnett owned the Yanks and Sox last year, that definitely hurts the Jays now that they lost him to the Yanks.. But right now I think the reason the Jays are in first is b/c both NYY/TB haven't gotten off to strong starts and they are up there in top batting avg w/ RISP, so basically they are getting the clutch hits leading to them being 1st in runs in the majors.. Their pitching has been pretty fair, but its their offense thats winning them games, but I expect their offense to slow down alot. I'd also be surprised if Toronto can continue being successful against the AL East (well namely the rays, sox, and yanks)

also toronto's position players are pretty much all over achieving ..

barajas career ops - 704, barajas 2009 ops - 860

lind career ops - 784, lind 2009 ops - 966

hill career ops - 763, hill 2009 ops - 943

scutaro career ops - 711, scutaro 2009 ops - 850

overbay career ops - 811, overbay 2009 ops - 907

bautista career ops - 728, bautista 2009 ops - 874

though surprisingly guys like rios and wells are batting under their career ops, and also its still early in the season so the higher than usual ops is common (i think like only 2 teams finished '08 with a team ops over .800, right now there is like 8 teams with an ops higher than .800)

Edited by nmigliore

I think Burnett owned the Yanks and Sox last year, that definitely hurts the Jays now that they lost him to the Yanks.. But right now I think the reason the Jays are in first is b/c both NYY/TB haven't gotten off to strong starts and they are up there in top batting avg w/ RISP, so basically they are getting the clutch hits leading to them being 1st in runs in the majors.. Their pitching has been pretty fair, but its their offense thats winning them games, but I expect their offense to slow down alot. I'd also be surprised if Toronto can continue being successful against the AL East (well namely the rays, sox, and yanks)

also toronto's position players are pretty much all over achieving ..

though surprisingly guys like rios and wells are batting under their career ops

No question that many at the moment looks to be overachieving. Rios and Wells have been awful. Rios has looked so lost at the plate this year and Wells just fvcking sucks with RISP. He should not be batting in the 4 spot. It's been pretty amazing that these players have been so frustrating to watch, yet it hasn't affected the team at all.

But watching guys like Barajas and Bautista hitting the ball so well has been such a pleasant surprise. Scutaro has been exceptional and really been the perfect leadoff hitter. This is a player who had 16 walks in 2004, 35 in 2007, and already has 29 walks this season. His O-Swing % is 9.7, which is by far the best in the majors. I don't know how a player completely changes his approach at the plate so drastically in one year. His career high in HRs is 10 and he already has 5. Add in excellent defense, at just over $1 million, he has to be one of the best bargains in all of baseball.

Hill and Lind have way better OPS than their career but that isn't luck. These are two very good hitters who are on their way to be All-Stars.

Edited by devilsrule33

But watching guys like Barajas and Bautista hitting the ball so well has been such a pleasant surprise. Scutaro has been exceptional and really been the perfect leadoff hitter. This is a player who had 16 walks in 2004, 35 in 2007, and already has 29 walks this season. His O-Swing % is 9.7, which is by far the best in the majors. I don't know how a player completely changes his approach at the plate so drastically in one year. His career high in HRs is 10 and he already has 5. Add in excellent defense, at just over $1 million, he has to be one of the best bargains in all of baseball.

I think the reason he never cracked 10 HRs in a year was b/c he played in Oakland for a few years, and I believe thats one of the worst hitters parks. Sometimes players just get off to big starts, and they tend to cool down alot eventually.. But the amount of walks so far has to be encouraging

edit: you mentioned hes the leadoff hitter for toronto, its pretty interesting b/c his highest obp% in a lineup spot is leadoff where he draws a more than usual (for him) amount of walks (he only has drawn more walks batting 8th/9th but thats with a ton more plate appearances in those spots)

i actually would like to see toronto to win that division, but then i sorta dont b/c i want Halladay in the Mets rotation :lol: (although it would be difficult to get him since the toronto GM has already said he wants a "boatload" if they were to deal him)

Edited by nmigliore

Well, Toronto has come back down to Earth. 9 straight losses now..

to follow up on my last post about their players over-achieving:

~ FROM MAY 10 2009 ~

~ TODAY (MAY 28 2009) ~

barajas career ops - 704, barajas 2009 ops - 773 (down 87)

lind career ops - 784, lind 2009 ops - 843 (down 123)

hill career ops - 763, hill 2009 ops - 919 (down 24)

scutaro career ops - 711, scutaro 2009 ops - 852 (up 2)

overbay career ops - 811, overbay 2009 ops - 878 (down 29)

bautista career ops - 728, bautista 2009 ops - 806 (down 68)

- Team OPS in April: .838

- Team OPS in May: .746

So basically the guys listed above fell back down to Earth (except Scutaro) but yet most are still over achieving. Surprisingly, their pitching has improved from april to may.

Edited by nmigliore

Well, Toronto has come back down to Earth. 9 straight losses now..

to follow up on my last post about their players over-achieving:

~ FROM MAY 10 2009 ~

~ TODAY (MAY 28 2009) ~

barajas career ops - 704, barajas 2009 ops - 773 (down 87)

lind career ops - 784, lind 2009 ops - 843 (down 123)

hill career ops - 763, hill 2009 ops - 919 (down 24)

scutaro career ops - 711, scutaro 2009 ops - 852 (up 2)

overbay career ops - 811, overbay 2009 ops - 878 (down 29)

bautista career ops - 728, bautista 2009 ops - 806 (down 68)

- Team OPS in April: .838

- Team OPS in May: .746

So basically the guys listed above fell back down to Earth (except Scutaro) but yet most are still over achieving. Surprisingly, their pitching has improved from april to may.

I think anyone could see the hitters were going to fall back to earth but not to the extent of 9 losses in a row. I just feel bad for Halladay. The dude should be 10-1. Pitches 7 scoreless innings two starts ago, and the Jays can't even score a run, and then a few days ago leaves the game with a 5-run lead. The bullpen blows that lead in one inning.

I think anyone could see the hitters were going to fall back to earth but not to the extent of 9 losses in a row. I just feel bad for Halladay. The dude should be 10-1. Pitches 7 scoreless innings two starts ago, and the Jays can't even score a run, and then a few days ago leaves the game with a 5-run lead. The bullpen blows that lead in one inning.

Speaking of the Jays' 'pen.. what happened to BJ Ryan?

2008: 32/36 saves .. 2.95 ERA .. 58 K in 58 IP.. 1.28 WHIP .. Opp. batting avg - .216

2009: 2/4 saves .. 9.28 ERA .. 10 K in 10.2 IP .. 2.16 WHIP .. Opp. batting avg - .357

Ya, Wieters PECOTA projection for this year was better than Longoria's were for last year, which is crazy, especially considering he's a catcher.

Ryan blew his arm out I think. I don't know if he'll stink forever or if he's having some adjustment now with it. It's so hard to tell with bullpen guys since he's only pitched 10 innings

Speaking of the Jays' 'pen.. what happened to BJ Ryan?

2008: 32/36 saves .. 2.95 ERA .. 58 K in 58 IP.. 1.28 WHIP .. Opp. batting avg - .216

2009: 2/4 saves .. 9.28 ERA .. 10 K in 10.2 IP .. 2.16 WHIP .. Opp. batting avg - .357

He is not the same pitcher from a few years ago. He had tommy john surgery two years ago, and besides his numbers looking not that bad last year, he really wasn't very good. He came to camp throwing about 4-5 miles slower than before, and he is just getting rocked. Hiss great slider seems to be no more.

He still has one year left at almost 10 million, but he should be done pitching for the Jays. He is a liability every time he is out there.

Roy Halladay should have been 10-1 going into tonight's game. After the bullpen blew a 5-run lead that Halladay had in his last start, the 32nd no decision Halladay has had due the bullpen blowing his lead, Halladay was determined to finish the game himself. Doc struck out 14 and threw a career high 133 pitches.

He had some of his best stuff tonight I have ever seen. He had one bad inning after sitting on the bench for a long time after the Jays blew the game open, but other than that he was downright nasty.

No posts on Unit's 300th win?

Good job by the MLB Network broadcasting the game, though I didn't watch all of it. The one inning I did watch he looked like he meant business and wanted to get it over with (i.e. he was dealing nasty). Everyone thought Glavine would have been the last for a while now it looks like Unit'll be. Mussina could have been but he went out on his own terms.