George Steinbrenner Dead.

Neb00rs

I was absolutely shocked when I heard this when I woke up this morning. He was no doubt one of the most influential people in the history of baseball. I still kind of don't believe it.

RIP

Edited by nyrsuck26

Right on the heels of Sheppard. Wow! What a week for the Yankee fans.

Obviously he's a huge figure in Yankees history, but if I'm remembering this correctly, he's even bigger because of how he bought the team when New York was in a Newark-like decline and chose to keep them there when others thought they should relocate. That was probably a very propitious moment for the city as a whole.

RIP George. You really were the best owner on the planet. Thanks for the 7 trophies while you were here. No better way to go out then on the heels of the 2009 title. Thanks George, for everything

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

he also took care of all the old players, giving them jobs in spring training and making sure they were alright. One of a kind

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

This post certainly isn't necessary but anyways: you can't blame Steinbrenner for "buying" championships. It's not against the rules to spend a sh!tload of money if you can. Anyone in his position would have done the same thing. It's the MLB in general that is a joke for not implementing rules against it.

Edited by ben00rs

RIP George. Even coming from a Mets fan he was one of the best (if not the best) GM/owners in all of baseball history. Yankees Org., team, and fans are really being hit with sadness this week. First sheppard then the boss. definitley class act. just one of a kind. RIP.

This is probably the most unclassy things I have ever seen or heard written or spoken.

First Shep, now The Boss. I am quite saddened by his death. As a life long Yankees fan (I go back to '76), life was never boring when George was in the papers. That said, he bought passion and the Yankees back to the top of the baseball world. God Bless you George.

Mike

Interesting note from TG:

Lamoriello revealed that Steinbrenner watched Game 7 of the Devils’ Stanley Cup win over Anaheim on television from his office at the Meadowlands. Lamoriello said Steinbrenner attended a few Devils’ games during the YankeeNets-Puck Holdings years, but didn’t want to draw attention to himself, so he did not sit in the crowd.

“He wasn’t public,” Lamoriello said. ‘He didn’t go to a lot (of Devils’ games), but he was there for our seventh game. He did things like that because he wanted to not because of publicity. He was never afraid to say what he thought, which is what I admired about him.”

A lot to recall about Big George, but I'll most remember his firings/hirings of Billy Martin. The whole saga went from being serious, to comical, to just plain sad -- for both George and Billy. ... I guess you could say this commercial was during the comical stage.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/07/in-their-words-baseball-remembers-the-boss-31949/

Huge props to the Red Sox and their owner John Henry...really brought me to tears. Extremely classy act on their part...

The Red Sox will honor George Steinbrenner with a moment of silence before the Thursday game at Fenway Park. “I had the good fortune to call George Steinbrenner both partner and friend,” current Boston owner and former Yankee partner John Henry said. “I had the privilege to watch George as he built a system that ensured his beloved Yankees would have a strong foundation for sustained excellence. And then we fiercely competed in the American League. George Steinbrenner forever changed baseball and hopefully some day we will see him honored in baseball’s Hall of Fame as one of the great figures in the history of sports.”

I really think they should rename the actual Yankee Stadium 'Steinbrenner Field' or 'Steinbrenner Stadium'. The man's impact on the game of baseball, yet alone the Yankees, isn't ever going to be matched.

they already named the Tampa field after him. They won't change the normal stadium that so they don't deemphasize the past before Steinbrenner which was where the prestige was built

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/07/13/yankees-talk-about-the-boss/

A-Rod: “In ‘04, he wrote me a handwritten wrote and it was hand-delivered by a clubhouse kid … (It said) ‘I’m counting on you’ – with capital letters and exclamation point. … And I hold this dear. We’re still playing for him.”

I'm very happy that Steinbrenner was able to witness another title before his passing. I really hope that this team can keep playing for him and deliver a title this year in his memory.

I didn't say they needed to call themselves the New York Steinbrenners; but dedicating the stadium name to him would be much more about emphasizing the impact he had on the franchise and much less about deemphasizing the Yankee brand.

I get the feeling that George wouldn't want that. If he wanted the Yankees playing in a place called anything but Yankee Stadium, he woulda sold the naming rights for an absolute mint.

Something needs to be done, though. They've already announced the memorial patches they'll wear for George (and for Sheppard too). I imagine he'll definitely get the same Monument Park treatment Col. Ruppert got. Maybe they go the extra mile for the Boss ... with a statue outside the stadium or something?

I'm not so sure about even that, though. I mean, the Yankee franchise has somehow managed to remain bigger than any of its individual parts throughout the generations. Guys like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle transcended the game. Guys like Babe Ruth and George Steinbrenner took it a step further and changed baseball forever. Yet none of them have anything beyond the traditional Monument Park honors. Maybe that's the way it should be.