50 Highest-earning American athletes

DaneykoIsGod

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2010/index.html

Don't waste your time if you're looking for any hockey players. It's just an interesting thing to look at. As one would expect, there are plenty of Yankees. And residing at No. 11 is evidence that the NFL's salary structure is fvcked.

The Yanks' top four starting pitchers -- Burnett, Sabathia, Andy Pettitte and Javier Vazquez -- are earning a combined $63 million this year. That's nearly twice the Pittsburgh Pirates' entire payroll. Burnett better start performing; he was 7-7 with a 4.75 ERA in the first half.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2010/index.5.html#ixzz0uRFOhGd0

Wow.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2010/index.html

Don't waste your time if you're looking for any hockey players. It's just an interesting thing to look at. As one would expect, there are plenty of Yankees. And residing at No. 11 is evidence that the NFL's salary structure is fvcked.

Yikes. Scary how much some players make, and how many awful deals there are. John Lackey's deal is terrible. Same with Vernon Wells. Hockey players picked the wrong sport. That's for sure.

Crosby makes almost a third of what Lackey makes this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Who gives a sh!t about that list anymore? Money in mainstream sports is a joke. The athletes on that list make a ridiculous amount of money from their contracts and then get 10 times that in endorsements for doing absolutely nothing...

It's called the entertainment business, get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Outrage is funny when most of you don't blink at shelling out hundreds for tickets to these events.

No one here is outraged or they wouldn't provide the revenue that pays these guys. Salaries are only fair - I'm outraged at how they can fill huge stadiums and exorbitant prices daily when it comes to baseball. If Hockey did that players would make more - but there is no market for it.

Outrage is funny when most of you don't blink at shelling out hundreds for tickets to these events.

No one here is outraged or they wouldn't provide the revenue that pays these guys. Salaries are only fair - I'm outraged at how they can fill huge stadiums and exorbitant prices daily when it comes to baseball. If Hockey did that players would make more - but there is no market for it.

We spend a lot of money on entertainment, don't we?

I was watching this documentary on lottery winners on HBO (it's called Lucky, and I highly recommend it) and it broke down how much total money is spent on various forms of entertainment in America per year:

Movie tickets - $7 billion

Sporting events - $16 billion

Books - $24 billion

Lottery tickets - $62 billion

I thought this site gave a cool visual breakdown of how the average American spends their paychecks. Out of $49,638 in total expenditures, $2,698 (or 5.4%) went to entertainment. I guess that doesn't seem like so much when compared to expenditures on stuff like housing, transportation, insurance, food, etc. Not sure what point I'm trying to make here ... so ... yeah ...

We spend a lot of money on entertainment, don't we?

I was watching this documentary on lottery winners on HBO (it's called Lucky, and I highly recommend it) and it broke down how much total money is spent on various forms of entertainment in America per year:

Movie tickets - $7 billion

Sporting events - $16 billion

Books - $24 billion

Lottery tickets - $62 billion

I thought this site gave a cool visual breakdown of how the average American spends their paychecks. Out of $49,638 in total expenditures, $2,698 (or 5.4%) went to entertainment. I guess that doesn't seem like so much when compared to expenditures on stuff like housing, transportation, insurance, food, etc. Not sure what point I'm trying to make here ... so ... yeah ...

So I believe what you are saying is.. we need to have a good 'ol fashion book burning!