NFL Week 2!!!

CRASHER

that game last night was horrific....least after the storm....the NFL has to do something about these lightning delays (not to mention there was no way to see the TB-NO game since none of the overruns picked it up)....and that game lost its nasty edge....and my interest after the hour delay.....then again an hour of Dull Patrick and Tony Dungy probably put half the country into a coma behind that wall of bland....

I really thought Henne could do SOMETHING in that game in a last chance thing....I can't remember seeing as bad a QB pair (well maybe Sanchez and Tebow but timmUHAY was never a QB in my eyes) as Henne and Gabbert......

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Bill Barnwell and Robert Mays at Grantland (and also Chris Brown). Cool to see I'm not the only one who reads him/them.

MD2020: Agreed, between the long delay, the penalties, and SF doing zilch... I expected a lot better. 

Crash: I think the Jags were 6-point underdogs, which looked like the best bet of the week. Amazingly they couldn't even cover with a non-Gabbert QB starting for them. What a horrible team. 

Barnwell is the best football writer I have seen out there. He has nailed exactly what Panthers fans have been pissed off about for two years and two games with Rivera. He has no interest in coaching to the strengths of the football club at all. You can't coach like that. 

Barnwell brought up an excellent point I never really thought have. The Panthers were up 3 with just under two minutes left at the Bills 21.It was 4th and 1, and the Bills were out of timeouts. Rivera said he briefly thought of going for it, but liked the idea of making the Bills having to score to win more. But even if you didn't get the first down (the odds showing that's might be 15-20% for Carolina), most coaches with a young QB or even a veteran don't think of going for the win there. He writes:

NFL teams approach situations. In a three-point game, the Bills are far more likely to try to get into field goal range and set up for an easy attempt that would force overtime without risking a game-ending interception; down six, they'll have no other choice but to be hyper-aggressive and try to score a touchdown.

And that's the issue with Carolina. They have an awful secondary to begin with that is banged up and even a good pass rush gets very tired in the 4th quarter, Truly Amazing that Rivera has learned nothing. As Barnwell says, he is coaching the team like he has never seen them play. Pathetic. 

Edited by devilsrule33

About the only good news about Carolina is that they have the week 4 bye, so if they're going to make a midseason coaching change to save their season, now's the time.  Fire Rivera and give someone who's got the stones to run this team an interim tag.  It's a race between Schiano and Rivera as to which one hits the unemployment line first.

Very happy about a 2-0 Miami squad.  Atlanta is going to be a tough game, but I'm hopeful that our QB pressure can rattle Matt Ryan enough to pull it out this coming week.  

Baltimore looked bad, but Cleveland looked worse.  I don't want to shovel dirt on their year yet, but IIRC since the division realignment no team who's gone 0-2 to start the season has even made the playoffs.  

Was absolutely stunned on how the Philly/SD game went.  A WC team coming East for a 1 PM start and ran with what's supposed to be a fast Eagles team...well, it was fast, but their defense was sadly fast and loose.  SD may be tougher than advertiized, and it may be time to pump the breaks on the Eagles' resurgence (not to mention the Skins' repeat division title).  Dallas looks better and better for the NFCE each day.

A little hard to have a .500 wildcard. At least with Giant fans they have some justification for saying they could sneak in at .500 cause that might win their crap-ass division :P

We have a crap-ass division in which rivalries may trump talent when the Triumvirate of mediocrity (Pitt/Clev/Balt) play Cincy in divisional play. We could win the division at .500. Not likely, but a possibility.

Really like the deal for Cleveland, actually. Stacking up on picks for 2014 Draft: two picks in each of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Richardson hasn't been terribly impressive through his first 17 career games.

They have no QB at all, they had a very raw Josh Gordon as their only pass catcher of consequence last year and the kid TE this year while Gordon was out.  How the hell was he ever going to find running lanes with all that stacked against him AND with nasty defenses in the division?

they claim he "didnt fit with the new coach's offense" so what happens when that coach gets fired at the end of the year? lol

Edit: Also, they traded their BEST player for what is likely a late first round pick, that is a horrible trade for cleveland imo

Edited by VivaLaFlamme

Cleveland's punting their season at 0-2, that's absurd.  Then again they know they can't win **** with Weeden at QB, but still there had to be more to this off the field than meets the eye.

Unless this Weeden injury is worse then we think.....there's gotta be SOME reason Hoyer is starting this week......

they claim he "didnt fit with the new coach's offense" so what happens when that coach gets fired at the end of the year? lol

How the frak does a good RB NOT FIT IN WITH NORV TURNER AS THE OC!?!?!?!?! I call bullsh!t :P

Not having a QB is exactly why they made the deal; they are stacking up on early-round picks to find their QB next April. Granted you'd have to have good faith in the regime, and maybe they could've gotten more, but I don't think their intent is ridiculous. Weeden is old and sucks, everybody knows this. Unless you have an elite back like Peterson, you build around the QB (especially in today's league), not the other way around. RB's are fungible, good QB's aren't.

re: punting the season - meh, where were they going in the first place with Weeden as the QB (who is now hurt and being replaced by the backup's backup)? Maybe a 7-9 or 8-8 season if things break right for Richardson and other players? Maybe? They'll be worse without Richardson but for the sake of their future, that's probably for the best; get a high pick winning a handful of games instead of stumbling to a mediocre-but-not-terrible record and worse pick.

I've also let it be known that I'm not on the Colts' bandwagon. I like this trade quite a bit for them as well, and this makes them better, but I still see them regressing heavily barring a monster breakout year from Luck. Their pick could be more of a mid-round/late-teens pick than late 1st rounder.

Edited by nmigliore

Unless this Weeden injury is worse then we think.....there's gotta be SOME reason Hoyer is starting this week......

That's another thing...why the hell are they starting him over Campbell? Did Rachel Phelps buy the Browns?

They will probably be starting Hoyer the rest of the season as the team coaches have given up on Weedon, and he will be cut after this season as the Browns are drafting a QB in the first round.

Bill Barnwell's take on Cleveland's end of this trade (worth reading the whole thing, but these are just some excerpts):

The Browns? They closed the door on another era of future Browns superstars and began yet another stage in their endless rebuilding project. And yet, I like this trade for Cleveland far more than I do for Indianapolis. 

If it waited to trade Richardson after the season and he continued to struggle in the way that he has so far in his career, the Browns would have found it close to impossible to acquire a first-round pick in return. They would have likely settled for a second-rounder and another conditional mid-round pick. This might have been their last chance to get a first-rounder back. And there aren't many teams who are so desperate for help at running back that they'll deal a first-round pick for a player in midseason, so the Colts were Cleveland's last hope.

Running back is a fungible positionTo be quite blunt, the Browns could have signed just about any college free agent off the street and gotten the 3.5 yards per carry Richardson's produced so far as a pro. Even if Richardson raises his game a bit in Indianapolis, there's been nothing about his level of play that the Browns couldn't get from a cheap platoon of backs. They're already bringing in Willis McGahee for a physical on Thursday; McGahee isn't a star, but he's a player who can produce reliably as a running back without making a lot of money. The Browns would probably pay McGahee about what Richardson will make this year without any long-term commitment, and they get the added bonus of acquiring an extremely valuable first-round pick in what could be a stacked draft.

They get another asset for next year's draft. Cleveland already insinuated it would be playing for 2014 earlier Wednesday, when it announced it would start Brian Hoyer over Jason Campbell as a temporary replacement for the ailing Brandon Weeden. Playing a journeyman backup? Trading away your best offensive weapon? These sound like tanking strategies.

The move will also hurt Cleveland's chances of competing this season, which would help its original first-rounder rise toward the top of the draft. Let's say it finishes as the fourth-worst team. That would leave the Browns with the fourth pick, the 15th pick [this is Barnwell's projection of the Colts' pick], and the 36th selection in the 2014 draft, along with extra picks in the third and fourth rounds. If they wanted to move up to grab Teddy Bridgewater at no. 2, they could build a very serious trade package around those draft assets. (They could also opt for a lesser quarterback with one of those picks.) In that sense, this fits very well with Cleveland's primary goal as an organization right now: build a competitive defense while attempting to identify and acquire a young franchise quarterback.

I think it's more likely that the Browns are happy about this trade five years from now than the Colts are, although I don't think it's a slam dunk in either direction. 

He hit on pretty much all of the points I mentioned. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one here.

Edited by nmigliore

It's a good trade for both teams.

Indy ought to expect to pick anywhere from 15 on down, and most likely somehwere around 18 to 20.  That's a decent spot to get a highly rated running back.  I also think the claim that you can get a good running back anywhere is a bit overstated.  I haven't seen any statistical comparisons, but you can say that about virtually every position.  There are plently of great QBs that were taken outside the first round, some in the bottom rounds, and some undrafted (Warner, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick, Schaub, Romo, Brunell, Favre) taken outside the first round.  Sometimes the great running backs go early too (AP, Lynch, Spiller, Chris Johnson, Stephen Jackson, Doug Martin).  Biggest problem with drafting RBs is that they have short careers and are more injury prone than other positions.  Indy got one who's only 22, and is relatively healthy at the moment.   He also fills a need, and has the potential to transform that offense into the 90s Cowboys. 

Cleveland, on the other hand, has an offense that is such a mess that I doubt Barry Sanders would make that much of a difference.  Perhaps they could have held out for a bit more, but overall the trade works for them too.  It stinks when you give up on the number 3 pick so soon, but better to realize that it was a mistake sooner rather than later when you can still get good value in return.

Really like the deal for Cleveland, actually. Stacking up on picks for 2014 Draft: two picks in each of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Richardson hasn't been terribly impressive through his first 17 career games.

Agreed. New management shouldn't concern itself with where Richardson was taken or how much he has already been paid. Taking a running back 3rd overall is ridiculous, and he hasn't even been very good. The 2014 draft is loaded. Good deal for Cleveland.

Too many fantasy sports GMs out there looking at this deal and finding fault with it.

Too many fantasy sports GMs out there looking at this deal and finding fault with it.

I think it's more the shock value here....EVERYONE expected Norv to be able to get the best out of this guy based on his history....and to give up on that after 2 weeks of real football...it just seems baffling, add in that big time trades are rare....and unheard of during the season.... it's expected people will stop and go WTF

....not to mention the Colts owner being a retard on twitter again almost spoiling the trade.....

And the fact people act like Richardson was a Felix Jones/Cedric Benson (in Chi)-type washout when he's actually been pretty respectable given the utter crap around him. He only had 3.5 a carry, big whoop - what would anyone expect facing eight man fronts off the hop? And he's only had 17 NFL games!

If you were expecting him to dominate like AP right off the bat (and even AP wasn't facing eight man fronts as a rookie) then of course you'd be dissapointed. That's a pretty unrealistic curve to grade on after one NFL season though, even given he was the #3 overall.

Edited by NJDevs4978