NFL Season Preview, Part One: the AFC

CRASHER

1. Baltimore Ravens (last year: 9-7)

Well this should be an interesting preview….the Ravens are one of those rare teams in the NFL to rise up fast and still stick around after the first year run of catching teams looking past them! The offense will be better with Boldin and Stallworth (man if they get anything from Stallworth (who now has a foot injury), he’s the legit home-run hitting long ball WR they needed all along…. It might be because I’ve seen Boldin next to Fitzgerald (and I admit this)… I see Boldin as more the possession type and Fitz was the home-run guy, and yeah he was a #1 for one year, but he’s been a #2 for a few years now… (just ask TJ Who’s-yo-mama how THAT panned out in Seattle??), the backs are good… and like 99% of the league now (and to the stress of fantasy football owners) the load will be shared around again here….the defense will be good… but the key pieces are getting old (Ed Reed hurt again too) and losing Foxworth to IR before anything even began is going to hurt them… good offenses beat them deep and often last year and that’s still gonna be a problem, but ON PAPER this is the most complete team in the AFC North (not to mention they have a stupid easy looking schedule)… Record: 11-5

Love the begrudging compliments none-the-less.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think their ground game will control the clock and not expose their D (which is improving, but not there yet).

The Raiders? Still needs a lot more. Campbell is an improvement, but not much else.

Cassel still stinks though....if he gets better they have a balanced and good offense.....

The Raiders have a good defense assembled, good running game, and if Campbell can give them anything like Gradkowski gave them late last year they'll pick off teams again this year, wonder if the Raiders take a shot at Bryant now that he's available.....

Cassel still stinks though....if he gets better they have a balanced and good offense.....

The Raiders have a good defense assembled, good running game, and if Campbell can give them anything like Gradkowski gave them late last year they'll pick off teams again this year, wonder if the Raiders take a shot at Bryant now that he's available.....

Which is why I accented the running game.

What running game in Oakland??? Bush is out and Mcfadden is......a Raider draft pick.

So would anyone with half a brain.

Well, Henne was a four-year starter at college, got to sit behind Pennington for a year and started almost all of the season last year with zero pressure on him considering the Fins' 0-3 start when he got in. Sanchez started one year in college and one year last season (with no mentor around like Henne had with Pennington) with a high degree of pressure and expectation.

So to put it more simply, yes Henne's better now - but that's not exactly indiciative of where they'll be after this season, or next.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well, Henne was a four-year starter at college, got to sit behind Pennington for a year and started almost all of the season last year with zero pressure on him considering the Fins' 0-3 start when he got in. Sanchez started one year in college and one year last season (with no mentor around like Henne had with Pennington) with a high degree of pressure and expectation.

So to put it more simply, yes Henne's better now - but that's not exactly indiciative of where they'll be after this season, or next.

Yeah, they both have a lot of work to do to become elite, but I haven't talked any sh!t to the Jet fans all summer, so I'm just trying to fill my quota. :P

See, this is a fair, well presented statement about your team, good job!! (though rare for the Jet fan in this forum :P ).....I do think you guys used up a lot of luck and karma on the ride to the AFC Title game last year, and that stuff tends to catch up with you.... and maybe I'm making too big a deal about them being so damn full of themselves but man you can really feel an aura of mass over-confidence with that team now.... this week 1 game, like last year could be a big sign of things to come this year.....

Karma and used-up luck? Please. Don't talk about us "idiot" Jet fans on this site (I don't even know how the heck you came to that conclusion.) You're the one talking out of his butt.

I think most of us dolts realize that Sanchez is a big question mark. And with all these new faces, is this a real team or a green-and-white version of Redskins teams in the recent past? This is a borderline playoff team, I think. Would love to see 11-5, but I'm not feeling it.

You know what, though? A 9-7 record might be good enough to win the AFC East. I'm loving no one in this division.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Karma and used-up luck? Please. Don't talk about us "idiot" Jet fans on this site (I don't even know how the heck you came to that conclusion.) You're the one talking out of his butt.

I think most of us dolts realize that Sanchez is a big question mark. And with all these new faces, is this a real team or a green-and-white version of Redskins teams in the recent past? This is a borderline playoff team, I think. Would love to see 11-5, but I'm not feeling it.

You know what, though? A 9-7 record might be good enough to win the AFC East. I'm loving no one in this division.

Go look in the individual Jets thread as an example.... go look at the guy who said the Dolphins are a 4-win team as an example... listen to WFAN as an example :).... I can go on :P

And a borderline playoff team can end up 7-9, can they not??

And like it or not... this is a QB-driven league right now... when your biggest question is your QB play and every other player-personnel move is a sideways move and you'd have been 8-8 last year the if the Colts played the game like it matters, I'd like to know where 7-9 is so unreasonable?? Was I a little smarky in talking about them? Maybe... but no different then 12-15 teams I commented on... perhaps reading the WHOLE preview instead of skimming to your team to go WAH he didn't love us is in order B )

(I also said the same thing about Atlanta and them missing the playoffs last year, FYI)

Edited by CRASHER

Except you always go out of your way to bag on the Jets and Jet fans because of the five-ten dopes that invade Sun Tavern, so every little thing posted here gets pointed out as 'oh there goes the Jet fanbase again' even when you know that's not really true :P It'd be like me pointing out Benigno and some of the knuckleheads that call him to make a case the fanbase is negative and fatalistic :lol:

And I listen to FAN too, I don't exactly sense mass overconfidence in general, then again I hardly listen to Francesa anymore cause his Jet-bashing makes yours look like kiddie day at the park and I'm sure most of the dopes call him cause he's become so ridiculously biased he attracts that element.

Edited by Hasan4978

Except you always go out of your way to bag on the Jets and Jet fans because of the five-ten dopes that invade Sun Tavern, so every little thing posted here gets pointed out as 'oh there goes the Jet fanbase again' even when you know that's not really true :P It'd be like me pointing out Benigno and some of the knuckleheads that call him to make a case the fanbase is negative and fatalistic :lol:

And I go out of my way to bag the Bills..... and if you're calling me on it GET IT RIGHT... I call out the morons that were 3 years ago wearing Eli Manning jerseys and now seemed to have embraced the Jet Nation :P.... there's like 3 legit fans in the bar and I don't bag on them.... ok I bag on one but he's funny grumpy :lol:.... hell I called the Patriots overrated and a non-factor

There's a LOT of teams I bag on weekly (take Peyton Manning as another example).... but like I said I guess it only counts when it hits home :P

If was really gonna sit on the bowl and poop on the Jets I'd have picked 5-11 or something like that....

Bag on the Jets all you want, there's no difference between being biased against the Jets and the Colts here. It's when you make silly generalizations about Jet fans that you're gonna get called out on it.

And the anti-Bills stuff is as much a schtick that the Bills fan feeds into as anything else :P

Bag on the Jets all you want, there's no difference between being biased against the Jets and the Colts here. It's when you make silly generalizations about Jet fans that you're gonna get called out on it.

And the anti-Bills stuff is as much a schtick that the Bills fan feeds into as anything else :P

Is it really bias when year after year after year what you say COMES TRUE??

You mean the same fan base that has the drunk idiots yelling SHOW YOUR TITS at girls as they come up the escalator like it's an Opie and Anthony show??? hrrmmmm.... and you should know me well enough to know I'd never call someone a "fan" who flips between Eli and Nacho jerseys based on the win/loss record.... tune your sarcasm meter up .... you're gonna need it this year!!:whistling:

Yes, Crasher, 7-9 is not a ludicrous prediction for the Jets. Talking about karma is ludicrous.

It happens all the time .... a team gets in over it's head and goes WAY farther then it should... and the next year it evens out... it's like karma... I'm not good with religious stuff, so it's a close enough analogy!

The Jets had the #1 defense and #1 running game in the NFL last season...and some people think they lucked their way to the AFC Championship game. The Jets were a hard luck 9-7 last year, then soundly defeated the Bengals and Chargers on the road.

The Jets had the #1 defense and #1 running game in the NFL last season...and some people think they lucked their way to the AFC Championship game. The Jets were a hard luck 9-7 last year, then soundly defeated the Bengals and Chargers on the road.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

#1 defenses don't play zone when the free world knows HOF TE Tony Gonzalez is getting the ball in the endzone (and that's after you let that crap team drive all the way to win each game). The Jets big talk D was eaten alive by Miami twice and New England with a healthy Welker as well as letting 2 chump teams in Atlanta and Jacksonville drive the field to win the game. Great defenses don't let that happen.

The Jets lucked out and won't go anywhere if Sanchez keeps throwing picks and continues to act lost.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

#1 defenses don't play zone when the free world knows HOF TE Tony Gonzalez is getting the ball in the endzone (and that's after you let that crap team drive all the way to win each game). The Jets big talk D was eaten alive by Miami twice and New England with a healthy Welker as well as letting 2 chump teams in Atlanta and Jacksonville drive the field to win the game. Great defenses don't let that happen.

The Jets lucked out and won't go anywhere if Sanchez keeps throwing picks and continues to act lost.

hey mr. francesa

I said they were the #1 defense last year...that's a stone cold fact. I didn't say they were perfect...jet haters like yourself like to cherry pick things but your arguments hold no water. If the Jets allowed 3 points total the entire year you'd still try to contort things to find fault with them.

sanchez will be better this year, and so will the #1 defense. Bad news for anybody playing the jets

Last year, was last year. You don't have Faneca to lead the rush for Jones, who is also not there.

I forsee alot of 3 and longs for the Jets and this will tire their own Defense which had the luxuary of a ball control offense to rest last year on.

On paper though this year's defense is actually better than last year's. You have Pace missing one or two games instead of four, and added Taylor to the front seven. We have Jenkins back (at least for now) and a now-tested replacement in Pouha if he goes down again. And most importantly we improved our corner position big-time with adding Cromartie and Wilson. We got smoked in the second half of the AFC Championship last year because we had Lito Sheppard and Dwight Lowery getting punked by Garcon and Collie.

I do agree the running game won't be as good as last year...hopefully Sanchez develops some to help offset that and once Holmes comes back we'll be much better than we were at receiver last year.

On paper though this year's defense is actually better than last year's. You have Pace missing one or two games instead of four, and added Taylor to the front seven. We have Jenkins back (at least for now) and a now-tested replacement in Pouha if he goes down again. And most importantly we improved our corner position big-time with adding Cromartie and Wilson. We got smoked in the second half of the AFC Championship last year because we had Lito Sheppard and Dwight Lowery getting punked by Garcon and Collie.

I do agree the running game won't be as good as last year...hopefully Sanchez develops some to help offset that and once Holmes comes back we'll be much better than we were at receiver last year.

This is all true. The only thing that I would be concerned about on the D side is Revis cramming into game shape. I have seen too many "hammy's" as a result of holding out.

Does Schott have the confidence in Sanchez to air out the ball to the HUGE upgrade in talent at the WR position.

Do the Jets have a choice? This is the NFL. You can't hide a quarterback. You have to make SOME plays if you're going to be a real team.

Yes, they do. Last year, when Sanchez got lax and starting throwing to the wrong team, they pulled him back and gave him a color coded play calling arm band and they just ran the ball down everyone's throat.

This is the NFL and the margin for error is great when it comes to turnovers.

We hid Trent Dilfer and won a Superbowl.

Edited by MantaRay

Yes, they do. Last year, when Sanchez got lax and starting throwing to the wrong team, they pulled him back and gave him a color coded play calling arm band and they just ran the ball down everyone's throat.

This is the NFL and the margin for error is great when it comes to turnovers.

We hid Trent Dilfer and won a Superbowl.

Yeah Trent Dilfer was your playoff QB, but he didn't hand off EVERY play. Did I imagine Shannon Sharpe making big plays?

They did dial it back for Sanchez in the middle of last season, but Sanchez went on to victimize Cincinnati in the playoffs last year.

Yeah Trent Dilfer was your playoff QB, but he didn't hand off EVERY play. Did I imagine Shannon Sharpe making big plays?

They did dial it back for Sanchez in the middle of last season, but Sanchez went on to victimize Cincinnati in the playoffs last year.

Your right Sharpe was huge as was Jamal Lewis.

We aren't Cincinnati.

We aren't Cincinnati.

You DID sign one of their receivers though :lol:

Don't get me wrong I'll be more purple then Barney Monday Night, but this game kinda has no-lose written all over it for me B )