Canadian Anthem/ Chants

Zubie#8

I hope this thread finds the people who routinely disrespect the Canadian National Anthem every single season. Every year more boneheads join in heckling the anthem and screaming "YOU CAN HAVE IT" after the phrase "God keep our land". You are not only disrespecting Canada, the country that gave us our beloved sport, but you are also disrespecting half of our team and entire coaching staff.

Show some respect and shut your mouths.

...now don't get me started on "flyers swallow" :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8

I hope this thread finds the people who routinely disrespect the Canadian National Anthem every single season. Every year more boneheads join in heckling the anthem and screaming "YOU CAN HAVE IT" after the phrase "God keep our land". You are not only disrespecting Canada, the country that gave us our beloved sport, but you are also disrespecting half of our team and entire coaching staff.

Show some respect and shut your mouths.

...now don't get me started on "flyers swallow" :doh1:

If you think that's bad, you should hear what they do up in Canada when they sing the United States national anthem. That goes double in Montreal.

If you think that's bad, you should hear what they do up in Canada when they sing the United States national anthem. That goes double in Montreal.

We are better than that. Also I have been to Montreal 4 times and never heard any heckling whatsoever. Maybe they save that for Bruin games, but we should be better than that.

We are better than that. Also I have been to Montreal 4 times and never heard any heckling whatsoever. Maybe they save that for Bruin games, but we should be better than that.

There are always a few idiots in the crowd, it's not like the entire arena is yelling it.

I remember back in 2002 when the Islanders and Leafs fans were burning each others countries flags in the parking lots before the game. sh!t happens.

There are always a few idiots in the crowd, it's not like the entire arena is yelling it.

I remember back in 2002 when the Islanders and Leafs fans were burning each others countries flags in the parking lots before the game. sh!t happens.

Half a section did it today, it was blatantly loud. Its just moronic to say these things when we have 7-9 Canadians on the team with Stevens, Barr, and Deboer on the bench. Completely distasteful in my opinion.

EDIT: saying another team does this or says this doesnt make these fans any better. I think we can be better than this.

Edited by Zubie#8

Tip: thicker skin, develop some.

It's a sporting event, with drunk and rowdy fans. Why some of you get offended by the "you suck" chant or heckling of this-and-that is still beyond me.

It obviously doesn't bother the athletes, nor the coaches. They realize what's going on and why the jeers occur, and I suggest you guys try and do the same.

• Like 2

It's a sporting event, with drunk and rowdy fans. Why some of you get offended by the "you suck" chant or heckling of this-and-that is still beyond me.

It obviously doesn't bother the athletes, nor the coaches. They realize what's going on and why the jeers occur, and I suggest you guys try and do the same.

This crowd was not a rowdy drunk crowd at all on a 1pm game on Presidents Day, and it doesnt make it any less disrespectful if players or coaches dont care.

Care to give any examples?

Other than that one series between Montreal and Boston where the booing got a lot of attention I can't think of any other examples where there have been problems (for either anthem). 

I have been to dozens of junior games in Canada against US teams and it has never been an issue. As a Toronto Blue Jays fan, every home game features the American anthem and I've never heard booing when I was there or heard anyone bring it up as a problem.

Of course there are idiots everywhere unfortunately.

This crowd was not a rowdy drunk crowd at all on a 1pm game on Presidents Day, and it doesnt make it any less disrespectful if players or coaches dont care.

I had the extreme displeasure of having 4, 30-something former frat boys who spent the entire 2nd period bragging about how drunk they got and also comparing DUI arrests. I sh-t you not, stright up bragging about being arrested for DUI and how each got it reduced. Oh and one slept through the last 5 minutes of the 2nd, and then fell back asleep from 10 minutes left in regulation until just before the shootout.

unrelated to the stupidity which brought forth the original topic but i had to vent somewhere other than twitter

Edited by jagknife

That happened in the Rock???? Well...not for nothing but this kind of thing never happened when we didn't sell out games. Are our new fans reformed flyer fans that moved here from North Philly or something? Very embarrassing.

A small contingent of fans have been doing this for the past three seasons but today a majority of a section did it, add that with the numerous hecklers during the entire anthem. Embarrassing.

This used to be a big concern for international soccer matches when England played. Imagine a stadium holding 70-80,000 people and about 75% of them booing the oppositions national anthem. It was an embarrasment to say the least. I think for a while they had to literally tell the crowds not to boo each others anthems like children. I'd say if it is something that affects you then make it a point with one of the stewards or see if you can get in touch with security at the Rock. Fans need to police their own fans sometimes, no harm in doing that if it is for the greater good.

I'm not gonna lie, I've yelled this before, but I don't do it at every game against a Canadian team, mostly only against the Canadiens and Leafs. The reason for this is the just the sheer amount of bad experiences I've had with fans of those teams. I can't tell you how many games against Montreal I've been to where I've had Habs fans sitting around me who wouldn't even stand up for our anthem or text/talk during it or sit there on their hands talking during the "Hero of the Game". fvck 'em. I hope they get offended because that's what I'm going for. However, if I'm surrounded by Devils fans, you'll hear nothing from me. Personally, I didn't yell it yesterday but I'm not against people doing it and it's way less offensive than a lot of other things I've heard at games.

I'm not gonna lie, I've yelled this before, but I don't do it at every game against a Canadian team, mostly only against the Canadiens and Leafs. The reason for this is the just the sheer amount of bad experiences I've had with fans of those teams. I can't tell you how many games against Montreal I've been to where I've had Habs fans sitting around me who wouldn't even stand up for our anthem or text/talk during it or sit there on their hands talking during the "Hero of the Game". fvck 'em. I hope they get offended because that's what I'm going for. However, if I'm surrounded by Devils fans, you'll hear nothing from me. Personally, I didn't yell it yesterday but I'm not against people doing it and it's way less offensive than a lot of other things I've heard at games.

So you get offended by Habs fans disrespecting our anthem or country and you do the same thing? Thats the problem with our world in a nutshell on a small scale of course. Just be the better person.

here comes the dumbest comparison of the year:

thats like saying you go to church and start farting loudly every 2 minutes, and say that people just have to plug their nose and that jesus doesnt mind. It's not that you're getting directly"offended" by the fart itself, it's the mentality of that guy who pisses you off.. like how can that person be that fvcking disrespectful and careless ?!? you feel ashamed just to be around that person and "associated" to him

to me it's a fine line between... 

1- trying to piss off people on purpose and it's calculated.

or 

2- pissing people off and embarrassing them cause you're simply dumb / careless / irrespecutful / ignorant

Edited by SterioDesign

I don't mind some heckling as I have done my fair share, but the "you suck" chant just stupid and reeks of having an entire fanbase with a massive inferiority complex.  Plus it is not like this long standing tradition as I never heard it before say about 2006 or 2007 ish.

However, I never get any pleasure of myself getting drunk so based on that and the fact that the Rock only serves piss-water as beer and it costs at least $9, I never drink there.  I do not mind drunk fans, but when they are cursing up a storm and being completely obnoxious around kids or dropping food and drinks on people, that is where I draw a line.