Rick Nash To NYR

JakeDev

Nash and Kovalchuk both started their careers on horrible teams.

Nash put up two 40-goal seasons in nine years, and his cap hit is $7.8M.

Kovalchuk put up two 50-goal seasons and five 40-goal seasons in eight years, and his cap hit is $6.7M.

As a Devils fan, there is absolutely no way in hell that I'm envious of the Rangers today.

Everyone knows Kovy is a better value than Nash, that doesn't mean they aren't better than last year and we aren't as good as currently constituted. They basically add Nash and Kreider (didn't play a regular season game) over Dubinsky and Anisimov from last year's team, we subtracted Zach with no additions 'yet'.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Ah, think it's a race/stereotyping thing?

Russian vs. Canadian -> Glider vs. Hard worker

Absolutely. The xenophobia that still exists regarding Russians is a bit silly.

Pre-NJ Kovy and Nash are a bit similar...two big bodies with a great scoring touch, not necessarily known for their 2 way play. It'll be interesting to see how Nash does under Torts.

Good looking trade, though the cap hit is an issue. Too bad. Hate seeing the Rags do well.

Bustin' balls on Twitter...

@CondescendTorts: Lol you're gonna need to fvcking pray for a lot more than just that. Hahahahahahahaha pic.twitter.com/GwpjaIyf

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Rangers fans are in no position to make fun of anyone else, what a pathetic underachieving organization. #LGD

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco Teams bash each other all the fvcking time relax

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Oh, I know because… I just did it.

‏@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco Poor attempt

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts No time to for wit when faced with the excruciating decision of which Stanley Cup hat to wear each day: '95, '00, or '03..

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco Haha you guys have one more cup, and the way were doing things don't be surprised if we raise it next year. #Nashty

DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Big name signings haven't worked for you since.. Uh.. Oh wait, they never work out for you. #Gomez #Holik #Redden #Bure

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco Somethings gotta give ;)

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Now you guys can take a break from wacking off to your '94 box sets and mix it up with some Nash highlights.

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco And who do you have for highlites? Parise? Oh sh!t sorry too soon? Oh well you still have Kovy.

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Nah, Henrique's OTer in Game 6 that started MSG's renovation early; yep, that one always gets me hard. #94 #Nevermore

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco Oh right forgot about that pre-pubescent guy. Who's gonna pass him the puck? Because we all know kovy doesn't

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts "Prepubescent" would mean he wasn't alive for the Rangers' last Cup.. He was, although VERY very young..

@CondescendTorts: @DJ_Eco You get too literal with jokes pal. Anyways have fun pushing to make 8th seed next year

@DJ_Eco: @CondescendTorts Don't distract yourself from the sad fact that you now have TWO less skilled players with cap hits larger than Kovy's.. Maybe Sather can show up to the Winter Classic presser and guarantee a Cup (and Yankees World Series) again. #CanedOffStage

God, I miss hockey...

• Like 1

The way I see it, this could...COULD be good news for us in a way.

I would assume the rangers are not in the doan race anymore.

This increases teh chances doan signs with a team like the penguins.

If the penguins grab doan, I don't see them grabbing semin, which has been speculated as a team semin probably ends up.

The devils snatch up semin, given the fact that the division just got that much more competitive we make some what of a panic signing slightly overpaying for him.

While in the short term it will look bad, we just overpayed for a severe under-achiever (it will be said), I have enormous faith in the devils coaching staff to get this guy on the right track. And within a few months of the season, the guy starts playing devils hockey, and simultaneously living up to his potential, and in the end, the devils are the FA winners of 2012.

A guy can dream :D

It really isnt THAT bad of a haul for the Jackets. Dubinsky is a really good player and Im happy hes out of the division. Anisimov is the one I think theyll regret though. He has all the makings of a 50-60 pt 2nd line C

It's awful, Nash is signed through, they got the same player twice, a defenseman who will not play for them at the moment of first opportunity (and he might not be any good anyway) + a pick in the 20's.

Howson pretty much just ended the franchise.

Heh let's face it, the Devils won't get Semin. I think Barch will be our key signing this offseason. No way Lou will break the bank the same way he did for Kovy and sign a big free-agent. Vanderbeek forced him to open the vault once, I don't see Lou letting him do it again. He's way too frugal and cautious, not that its necessarily a bad thing. Im just hoping Tedenby steps up in a big way this year. We need him.

It's awful, Nash is signed through, they got the same player twice, a defenseman who will not play for them at the moment of first opportunity (and he might not be any good anyway) + a pick in the 20's.

That's a great point actually. There was actually a star who couldn't leave Columbus by choice. These new guys can just wait for UFA. Nash was disgruntled though and somewhat forced their hand. Truth be told your screwed as soon as you're Columbus.

Edited by ben00rs

The same player twice? So what if that's a really good player? Why would that have any bearing? Dubinsky and Anisimov are both solid players that are worth having.

Rumor is, Erixon's getting moved in another deal, and even if he isn't, he's a good prospect who's going to have to learn that he's not going to get to play for the Rangers.

No, he didn't. If he ended the franchise, it was when he turned an 8th overall pick and Jakub Voracek into 50 games of Jeff Carter, Jack Johnson, and a 1st. This is so much better of a deal than that one.

People have to realize: In the NHL, you ARE your contract, the years you have left before UFA, and your cap hit. The vast majority of a player's value is a player's performance in relation to that. The best player in the NHL on a max contract signed until 2022 would be a bad bargain. An average player signed to a $1M deal is worth a ton. Nash signed until 2018 at that cap hit is decidedly risky. It's a good bet for them, but with Richards and Nash both on the books until at least 2018, it could get ugly in a few years if Sather can't sit on these RFAs.

Edited by Triumph

The same player twice? So what if that's a really good player? Why would that have any bearing? Dubinsky and Anisimov are both solid players that are worth having.

Rumor is, Erixon's getting moved in another deal, and even if he isn't, he's a good prospect who's going to have to learn that he's not going to get to play for the Rangers.

No, he didn't. If he ended the franchise, it was when he turned an 8th overall pick and Jakub Voracek into 50 games of Jeff Carter, Jack Johnson, and a 1st. This is so much better of a deal than that one.

People have to realize: In the NHL, you ARE your contract, the years you have left before UFA, and your cap hit. The vast majority of a player's value is a player's performance in relation to that. The best player in the NHL on a max contract signed until 2022 would be a bad bargain. An average player signed to a $1M deal is worth a ton. Nash signed until 2018 at that cap hit is decidedly risky. It's a good bet for them, but with Richards and Nash both on the books until at least 2018, it could get ugly in a few years if Sather can't sit on these RFAs.

On the first part, they may have gotten two 3rd line centers. MAY. They could pan out, but both are only there for 3 years under the present setup and Anisimov, if he just honors his contract, maybe only 1. Nash has no leverage. You can't just let him out unless you get your deal, it made more sense to hold and hope an opportunity opens up next season. And this really didn't hurt the Rangers as badly as it's made out, this trade is virtually dollar for dollar. Yeah, they could get saddled with bad deals 3-4-5 years from now but Sather has proven he can get out of them.

As for killing the franchise, I mean the franchise as the Columbus Blue Jackets. I don't know how long you can continue at this point. Even if this makes them more mediocre, the franchise is poison right now and like Carter got out, all of these guys will get out, even if they have to bide their time to do so.

On the first part, they may have gotten two 3rd line centers. MAY. They could pan out, but both are only there for 3 years under the present setup and Anisimov, if he just honors his contract, maybe only 1. Nash has no leverage. You can't just let him out unless you get your deal, it made more sense to hold and hope an opportunity opens up next season. And this really didn't hurt the Rangers as badly as it's made out, this trade is virtually dollar for dollar. Yeah, they could get saddled with bad deals 3-4-5 years from now but Sather has proven he can get out of them.

Now that Jordan Staal is out of Pittsburgh, Brandon Dubinsky would probably be the best 3rd line center in the league. I don't care if he's a 3rd line center or what he is - before last year he was playing 19 minutes a game, difficult minutes, and doing well. Last year they jammed him up with really hard minutes and he still did okay.

Anisimov is also a very good player, underrated, can contribute a lot.

Nash has lots of leverage. He could suck next year. That would make his trade value even worse. He could get hurt. You are taking way more risk, and deals like this just don't open up during the season unless a team is really going poorly - again, what are the circumstances where someone wants to deal a great value for this contract?

Also, the deal being dollar for dollar doesn't matter, and you can't in one breath bemoan the fact that these players aren't under team control for long, then in the other state how it's a dollar for dollar trade. They traded 2 players for 1, that's not dollar for dollar, you mitigate risk a great deal that way. Nash could be near untradeable after an injury. Unlikely that happens to any of the guys Columbus got.

As for killing the franchise, I mean the franchise as the Columbus Blue Jackets. I don't know how long you can continue at this point. Even if this makes them more mediocre, the franchise is poison right now and like Carter got out, all of these guys will get out, even if they have to bide their time to do so.

Meh. I think they're making some nice moves - they obviously lack top-end scoring, but they've shored up their defense a bit and they have a decent group of forwards. Goaltending is obviously... goaltending.

Edited by Triumph

Hope Nash likes boring hockey and blocking shots.

It does make me wonder how much players consider that when going to the Rangers.. "hmmm the coach wants me to put my face in front of pucks and will scream his head off at me all the time.. sign me up"

that looks horrible. i dont think they will be a much better team. they lost depth and thats what teams need now a days

Exactly! What people are missing in analyzing this trade is the system/luck factor the Rags enjoyed last year. For a team to play a shot block heavy system to be as healthy as the Rags were throughout the season and into the post-season was amazingly fortunate and simply not something an organization can afford to count on. Consequently, if they can expect injuries then they MUST have depth and they've lost some of that critical element. One bad shot and Gaborik is gone; another and so is Nash. And that assumes that Nash is willing to buy into the Rags' "take one in the nuts for the King" system. It isn't clear to me that he will.

Edited by AEWHistory

It does make me wonder how much players consider that when going to the Rangers.. "hmmm the coach wants me to put my face in front of pucks and will scream his head off at me all the time.. sign me up"

this.

tortorellas style is their issue. cant wait til nash breaks his face eating kovalpuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Nash is a bit more concerned with getting to see his name in lights. He's been relegated to obscurity by the casual hockey fan most of his career.

Bingo, Bango, Boingo

From what I've read ..the rags were the only team on his list, and that is for ONE reason....fame. Just like Gomez wanted the world to see he landed in NYC so does Nash.

It will be interesting to see if he buys into Torts "defense & backcheck & block shots first" game plan.

Edited by hargsy