OOT Thread

Daniel

Landeskog got rocked by Stuart. Nice hit in my opinion, tucked his elbow into his body, didn't leave his feet until after contact was initiated, Landeskog really put himself in a vulnerable position there. The Sharks announcers were brutal though, they seemed offended that O'Byrne would would go after someone who just drilled his captain. Awful, awful announcing. Hate that O'Byrne got the dumbest penalty in hockey - instigator but it's the way the NHL is unfortunately.

Landeskog got rocked by Stuart. Nice hit in my opinion, tucked his elbow into his body, didn't leave his feet until after contact was initiated, Landeskog really put himself in a vulnerable position there. The Sharks announcers were brutal though, they seemed offended that O'Byrne would would go after someone who just drilled his captain. Awful, awful announcing. Hate that O'Byrne got the dumbest penalty in hockey - instigator but it's the way the NHL is unfortunately.

It looked like Stuart went too high w/ the shoulder but that might've just been because Landeskog's head was down. But I'm sure to O'Byrne, it looked dirty and of course you're going to protect your 20 year old Captain when it looks like he got hit in the head

edit: meant shoulder, not elbow

Edited by DH26

It looked like Stuart went too high w/ the elbow but that might've just been because Landeskog's head was down. But I'm sure to O'Byrne, it looked dirty and of course you're going to protect your 20 year old Captain when it looks like he got elbowed in the head

When I went frame by frame in slow motion it showed Stuart actually tucked his elbow into his body. Stuart's shoulder clearly hits Landeskog's head which is really Landeskog's fault but the NHL will probably have a problem with it since there was contact in the head. I'm a big believer in responding to big hits no matter if they are clean (like this one) or dirty by fighting the player who committed the hit. I just wish those situations resulted in 5 minute fighting majors and nothing more.

Even more intriguing on the Stuart hit is the instigating with a visor. I've always said tht when players fight, removing the helmet should be as customary as dropping the gloves

O'Byrne got 4 minutes for that (instigating and fighting with a visor). Marleau promptly scored 2 PP goals, game is now blown open: 4-0 going into the 3rd.

I think that's a clean hit 10 years ago, and you can maybe make a case that it's clean today (unavoidable contact as Landeskog's head was down) but I expect Stuart to be suspended.

O'Byrne got 4 minutes for that (instigating and fighting with a visor). Marleau promptly scored 2 PP goals, game is now blown open: 4-0 going into the 3rd.

I think that's a clean hit 10 years ago, and you can maybe make a case that it's clean today (unavoidable contact as Landeskog's head was down) but I expect Stuart to be suspended.

That was as clean an open ice body check as I've ever seen. And a$$hole O'Byrne starts a fight over it like a little bitch. Can you imagine if Scott Stevens played today? He would've been suspended for the Kozlov hit, which was perfectly clean, for like 7 years the way these hits are treated today. Why don't they just go ahead and ban open ice hits, its fvcking ridiculous the way you seemingly can't lay a finger on anyone in open ice without it being labled as 'dirty' by someone. It makes me want to puke.

That was as clean an open ice body check as I've ever seen. And a$$hole O'Byrne starts a fight over it like a little bitch. Can you imagine if Scott Stevens played today? He would've been suspended for the Kozlov hit, which was perfectly clean, for like 7 years the way these hits are treated today. Why don't they just go ahead and ban open ice hits, its fvcking ridiculous the way you seemingly can't lay a finger on anyone in open ice without it being labled as 'dirty' by someone. It makes me want to puke.

They were talking about it in the broadcast. I agree it's a stupid part of the game that after a big hit someone has to start a fight, but it's a part of the game nevertheless. Don't blame O'Byrne, blame the nature of the sport.

Obviously too early to make a big deal out of anything to this point, but man am I loving Rangers being 1-3, and now being outscored 16-9 on the season (including tonight's first period).