GDT SCF GAME 3: NJ DEVILS vs LA KINGS

lazer

Bush league? Oh get over it. You're reaching. If this happened at the Rock and it was all LA celebs faces this boards would be celebrating.

Its a cute idea and heats up the rivalry. I'm not happy we're losing but I enjoy the intensity.

I enjoy going there, sitting behind the NJ bench and having Bailey come by and squirt water on me, bang on the glass, and such in my NJ jersey.

Its a lot better than when Staples was a moratorium 5-7 years ago.

The difference is the Devils' FANS are doing this on their own accord. NJ Devil is not the conductor of the choir. This is an example of the Kings ORGANIZATION doing something minor league like this...pretty bush league to do in a Cup Finals IMHO...

I agree with you on that. Then again, what do you expect from an organization that hasn't won anything in 45 years and is based in one of the country's media hotspots and entertainment cesspools. Not a lot of class to be had there collectively.

I missed the entire game due to a high school awards show i had to attend, but that bit is pretty funny (unless you are getting view blocked by one of those heads)

I would assume the heads were only up during a stoppage of play anyway.

We need to win tomorrow, then we can put Sopranos heads behind their bench Saturday, maybe that'll scare them lol.

• Like 1

And btw how is this different from NJay mock stealing the Hollywood D and displaying it in Championship Plaza? It's not, and if you don't find this stuff funny, buy a sense of humor.

Ha, is that was the 'D' was? I thought it was just a thing to sign like the puck on opening night.

I agree with you on that. Then again, what do you expect from an organization that hasn't won anything in 45 years and is based in one of the country's media hotspots and entertainment cesspools. Not a lot of class to be had there collectively.

Right - because you've lived out here and are familiar with all the areas.

Mock the fanbase fine - but LA is a great place to live as are parts of NJ.

yea i would think that only the rags have a right to that one, and marty taunts back saying he enjoys it. who the fvck are kings to taunt anyone?

I feel exactly the same way. As much as I hate when the ranger fans do it it annoyed me more to hear kings fans doing it. Like they haven't earned the right or something.

I dont know. I think the Kings have earned the right to have some fun. It hasnt always been easy finding and playing for the fanbase in SoCal, and yet they have survived. Its a good story - one that many of us would be rooting on if they were playing anyone else but the Devs.

As usual, Colorado was spot on with his post.

It's funny (and sad), but in some ways the Kings are reminding me more and more of the '95 Devils...the story clearly isn't a carbon copy, and the Devils didn't come into the 2012 SCF as a vast "on paper" favorite, the way the Red Wings did in '95, but the similarities are there between the '95 Devils and the '12 Kings:

Both teams finished with underwhelming regular season records.

Both teams struggled offensively for much of the regular season.

Both goalies raised their level of play considerably when the playoffs began (Marty's regular season save% was only .902 in '95, compared to .927 for the playoffs. Quick has seen a .21 increase in his '12 playoff save%).

Both teams basically blew away their competition throughout the playoffs (just four losses for the Devils, and two to date for the Kings).

I'm really hoping I'm not saying "and the winner swept the loser". So hoping for that Game 6...

The only slightly bush league thing the Kings did last night that I noticed was have the organist lead the "Maaarty! ... Maaarty!" chants a few times after Kings goals. Doc even mentioned it.

Agree 100%. Every round has seen the MAAARTYY taunts sink to new lows. Philly doing it before a goal is even scored. New York doing it before the puck even drops on Game 1. Now L.A.'s organist and jumbotron guy leading the way.

You've gotta be good for everyone to be so desperate to try to get in your head. :evil:

It's never easy to see it all end like this...but exactly what way WOULD be easy to watch your team lose in the SCF? There really isn't one.

As long as the player handshakes haven't started, the series is still on, but it's really hard to believe that the Devils are coming back from 3-0. They haven't been able to buy a break, but I can't make a real case for LA not deserving to be up 3-0 in these Finals. I guess one can point out that Games 1 and 2 could've gone either way, but the Devils have had their fair share of "either way" games in these playoffs...they had to win two OT games in Games 6 and 7 just to get out of the first round.

And that's all I really expected/hoped for from the Devils this year...to get past the first round. Once they drew the Flyers in the second round, I thought they'd lose in five. They won in five. Once they drew the Rangers in the ECF, I thought they'd lose in six. They won in six. This has truly been a magic carpet ride, a run no one saw coming...it's unfortunate and sad that it appears to be coming to such an abrupt end, and for now I'm just going to hope that the Devils can find a way to force a Game 6...yes, that's getting ahead of myself, as we don't even know if a Game 5 is in the cards yet, but I guess in this season of surprises, I'm aiming high.

If anything good has come out of this, along with having a new banner to send up to the rafters and a month of entertaining playoff hockey, it's that it looks like the Devils have at least re-established themselves as playoff contenders for the forseeable future, and in the anything-can-happen landscape that has become the NHL playoffs, that's all we can ask for. Clearly Kovy is not 100%, probably nowhere near that, but he's shown that he can contribute when the stakes are raised, and that "one career playoff win" monkey that he carried (somewhat unfairly) on his back is gone for good. Year #2 of his deal couldn't have gone much better for him than it did.

I'll save the offseason stuff for when the offseason actually gets here. The Devils might be wounded, but they ain't dead yet.

Thank you Devils. Every last one of you. Even if you get blown out tonight, you all did one hell of a job. None of you have anything to be ashamed of.