Devils at Rangers, Tuesday Feb 7

Triumph

Well, I hate to say you should check it out cause obviously productivity would take a hit, but you should, lol. I find out about almost all hockey news there first, and it's one of the best places on the internet I've found to talk hockey. (Other than Devils... I mean you can talk Devils there but if you want specifically Devils... obviously why we're on njdevs...) But for general league news and such, and happenings around the NHL ... most people are pretty objective, or else you get downvoted into oblivion, lol.

haha alright Ill check it out. Theres so many subreddits its insane. Theres some good stuff on there though. I get a good amount of laughs during the day.

For those of you that have no idea what we are talking about:

http://www.reddit.com/r/devils/

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/

The main page of this sit has EVERYTHING and ANYTHING on it. Its pretty interesting and funny stuff and has a wide variety of things.

Edited by Quinn01

haha alright Ill check it out. Theres so many subreddits its insane. Theres some good stuff on there though. I get a good amount of laughs during the day.

For those of you that have no idea what we are talking about:

http://www.reddit.com/r/devils/

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/

The main page of this sit has EVERYTHING and ANYTHING on it. Its pretty interesting and funny stuff and has a wide variety of things.

good call on linking to it for everyone else...

Yes, there is an insane amount of subreddits. I unsubscribed to most of the default ones, as a lot of dumb stuff seems to get floated to the top in the most popular ones. And I definitely find the funniest stuff on there. Case in point: that .GIF you posted, lol

I'll apologize if this has already been posted and I just didn't see it...

...but here's Fraser's explanation on why the goal should have counted:

I can tell you firsthand just how difficult it is, in real time and with traffic going to the net, to determine intent (deliberate or incidental) or if any action by a defending player caused the contact to result on the goalkeeper. If the referee happens to be on the opposite side to where contact was initiated (as referee Dan O'Rouke was in this case), it is often next to impossible to get an accurate read on the play.

That is exactly what happened last night in Madison Square Garden in the dying seconds of the game with the Devils leading 1-0. As the Rangers attacked the net, Marian Gaborik attempted a full blown stop with snow flying in front of Martin Brodeur.

Initially, it might appear that Gaborik just ran out of real estate and crashed into Brodeur, which would result in a goalie interference penalty. From referee O'Rourke's position, a little bit behind the goal line on the near side to Gaborik, that is exactly how it would appear to the ref in real time.

As I saw the reverse look of the play, I noticed Gaborik's left skate break from his natural stopping motion and slide marginally to the left, causing an unnatural fall into Brodeur with Anton Volchenkov exerting backdoor pressure on Gaborik from the opposite side.

Upon closer inspection, we see that Volchenkov places his stick between the legs of Gaborik and the pressure exerted causes the NY Ranger to fall and crash into Brodeur. The clear evidence is seen when the players attempt to untangle themselves in the crease. Vochenkov's stick blade can be found stuck in the plastic blade holder of Gaborik's left skate!

If anyone didn't think the contact from the back side was significant to put Gaborik into Brodeur, Volchenkov's stick placement should provide the smoking gun!

What does all this mean? The Rangers certainly lost at least one point last night. Beyond that, it should highlight for you what I have known for years, ever since we had to deal with the ridiculous toe-in-the-crease standard that was rewritten into Rule 69 - Interference on the Goalkeeper. The refs need help with this call.

Fraser's Explanation

Dont give me credit for it. I took it from here and posted it there. haha

Ah, I see. You're just as much of a thieving bastard as I am! Carry on.

(The buddy I stole it from on FB is a regular HF poster, so he probably got it from one of the many Photoshoppers there.)

Fraser's Explanation

Everyone is going to interpret this play differently. I've seen it split both ways among hockey commentators, and among hockey fans in general, and I'm sure it's the same with league officials. In my opinion, Gaborik did not do nearly enough to stop or avoid Brodeur, and that's why it is interference. Also, I disagree with Fraser that Volchenkov's stick tripped him up. His stick is a non-factor until after they had already started to fall, at which point it gets tangled up.

Either way, what's done is done. We've had MUCH more questionable game-deciding calls go against us and there wasn't 10% of the interest as there is in this one. The Rangers need to stop their whine-fest and move on with life.

Ah, I see. You're just as much of a thieving bastard as I am! Carry on.

(The buddy I stole it from on FB is a regular HF poster, so he probably got it from one of the many Photoshoppers there.)

I wanted to spread it like chlamydia. Its hilarious and the world needs to see it. :lol:

Fraser's Explanation

Wow. Fraser needs a life. Yea..cause the ref based his call on this explanation. No. The ref called goalie interference because he knew Gaborik was acting and 'pretended' to stop. He got caught. End of story. So sick of this sh!t. This definitely wouldn't be happening if the Devils supposedly were pushed into Lunquivst. It would be chalked up as just another win for the Rangers and would be the top headline on NHL.com

#NYR Tortorella suggested NHL adopt NFL-style review in last minute of game. "In the last minute of the game, you need to get it right."

jesus christ boy get over it, not as if you needed that extra point that much

Thank Goodness the ref did get the call right, otherwise imagine how bad this would get. :rofl:

At least Fraser has a better explanation than simply 'he tried to stop'...but I still don't agree with that point of view. Even if you want to argue Volchenkov's stick got in Gaborik's skate, Gaborik was still skating way too fast to stop. I've been using this analogy - saying Gaborik was trying to stop is like saying I was trying to slam the brakes on my car doing 60 a few feet from a red light. It doesn't matter if you try to stop at that point, you're already going way too fast to avoid hitting the goalie, or running the red light.

Thank Goodness the ref did get the call right, otherwise imagine how bad this would get. :rofl:

It's because it happened to the Rangers. God forbid there was one tenth of the media attention on Zach's 'kicking' motion that cost us a tie against the Isles, that was at least debatable and probably wrong.