Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

it became real clear that lemaire lost the locker room somewhere along the way, and it happened long before jamie's pouting incident. jamie had surgery and came back in basically record time in 2009, and i don't doubt his commitment for the coming season.

+1.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And (Keenan) then was planning his own jump to the Red Wings DURING THE STANLEY CUP FINALS, people forget about that because he WON, what Keenan pulled was a THOUSAND times worse then anything JL did... and his team still RALLIED AROUND EACH OTHER and won in SPITE of the coach, but you've been blind to that point no matter how many ways it gets shown to you....

REAL character is shown during adversity.... and Captain CrabbyPants showed you what he's not worth :P

That comparison is ridiculous. Did the Rangers play a team they couldn't win against for anything all year long. Do you think it might of had something to do with that? If you're expecting captains to be magicians capable of turning a team into something their not, you're obviouslly expecting too much. Lags was not playing well all year. There was no difference in his play prior to this issue going public and after. There is no reason I should believe that he gave up. The guy was a solid captain the prior two years, and he's shown his leadership years prior to being captain.

Pandolfo down to the AHL

Rolston for Finger, send Finger down to the AHL

Kovalchuk for 8 million Martin for 5 million Clakson for 1.75

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Kovalchuk - Arnott - Elias

Palmieri - Zubrus - Clarkson

PLL - Josefson - Zharkov

Peters

Martin - White

Greene - Salvador

Corrente - Taormina/Salmela

Brodeur

Frazee (Just used him)

57 300 000

I like how you think!

That comparison is ridiculous. Did the Rangers play a team they couldn't win against for anything all year long. Do you think it might of had something to do with that? If you're expecting captains to be magicians capable of turning a team into something their not, you're obviouslly expecting too much. Lags was not playing well all year. There was no difference in his play prior to this issue going public and after. There is no reason I should believe that he gave up. The guy was a solid captain the prior two years, and he's shown his leadership years prior to being captain.

I'm not expecting a miracle comeback.... but to turn and FLAT OUT QUIT because you disagreed with the coach???

Go play soccer with the damn French if that's how you roll :P

Keenan's person business did not interfer with his coaching ability. His team rallied because he brought in his own people who he respected and listened to, not to mention had almost 50% of the old Edmonton Oilers who he respected.

I don't disagree with your character traits growing through adversity, the point was that there was no need to be the adversity here. JL lost the team plain and simple. In the playoffs NO ONE played very well.

I think you're spot on.

Elias/Arnott/Kovy is A-Line 2.0. That with ZZ Pops is a lethal top 2 lines. Also wouldn't mind seeing Tedenby or someone moved to play with Parise and Zajac...

As has been noted already, thats a poor second line. The A-line was awesome because it was constant cylcing of the puck. Thats not Kovy's style.

If we can trade Whiny-btch Langs then we can pair Parise with Kovy for that dream top line!!!

If we can trade Whiny-btch Langs then we can pair Parise with Kovy for that dream top line!!!

Why? Because its Parise? Why would that be a great line? Because Parise is the fan favorite and everyone loves Kovy?

As has been noted already, thats a poor second line. The A-line was awesome because it was constant cylcing of the puck. Thats not Kovy's style.

Parise and Kovy do not work well together and its a dumb strategy come playoff time.

Although I think Kovy's agents have basically priced him out of everyone's range, I am hoping he just goes to Russia next year.

tried to read all the responses to this thread:

it's an excellent move. i've been saying for months that halischuk has been passed over and should be disposed of ASAP - this is an excellent instance of trading up. halischuk's a nice player and he might turn into something, but he's small and can't stay healthy, not the most promising combination on a team that has plenty of smaller forwards who can play on the bottom 6. a 2nd round pick in 2011 is probably worth a 3rd round pick in 2010. while i don't love dealing more picks, a 2nd round pick is most likely to make the NHL between 4-6 years after he is drafted, so that's taking away from the 2014-2017 devils.

furthermore, it buys a year for josefson and henrique to develop. it's not a stopgap like brendan morrison where you just hope that he gets on the correct side of percentages or somehow recovers some magic. who knows, maybe arnott has a decent season and he signs another 1 year deal. this is one case where we are actually taking advantage of no-trade clauses - there's no way we get jason arnott for that little if he doesn't have an NMC.

My only concern is the contract and cap hit. We couldve found a cheaper fill-in player. That way we can squeeze in Kovy and Martin.

That said, I like the trade itself.

Parise and Kovy do not work well together and its a dumb strategy come playoff time.

What do you base that on? I hope not solely on the Flyers series.

I still think they should try to get another Russian to play with Zubs and Kovy. Zharkov maybe if they can't sign or trade.

That would be 3 potential scoring lines depending on if we gave up someone and who.

Parise - Zajac - XXXXX (maybe Langs)

Kovy - Zubs - XXXXX (maybe Zharkov)

Elias - Arnott - XXXXX (Maybe Rolston)

I think Kovy played his best with Zubs.

My only concern is the contract and cap hit. We couldve found a cheaper fill-in player. That way we can squeeze in Kovy and Martin.

That said, I like the trade itself.

What do you base that on? I hope not solely on the Flyers series.

Well, they are both primarily shoot-at-the-net type guys. They could have success because they are each individually good, but it wouldn't be because they are working together.

I still think they should try to get another Russian to play with Zubs and Kovy. Zharkov maybe if they can't sign or trade.

That would be 3 potential scoring lines depending on if we gave up someone and who.

Parise - Zajac - XXXXX (maybe Langs)

Kovy - Zubs - XXXXX (maybe Zharkov)

Elias - Arnott - XXXXX (Maybe Rolston)

I think Kovy played his best with Zubs.

Arnott was acquired to be 2nd line center so Zubie and Elias can get away from center.

If you're expecting captains to be magicians capable of turning a team into something their not, you're obviouslly expecting too much.

No great Captians (yes like Messier) do exactly that.

Lags was not playing well all year.

It was the second best year in his career.

There was no difference in his play prior to this issue going public and after.

Before incident 77GP 60 points After Incident 9GP 2 points.

Edited by Elias26

Well, they are both primarily shoot-at-the-net type guys. They could have success because they are each individually good, but it wouldn't be because they are working together.

Arnott was acquired to be 2nd line center so Zubie and Elias can get away from center.

I think Zubrus did pretty good in the center but I hear what you're saying. I just like it my way better.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I love the mythology of "great" Captains. So did Messier all of a sudden suck after that? Because if I recall correctly his teams missed the playoffs entirely pretty much the rest of his career.

I think Zubrus did pretty good in the center but I hear what you're saying. I just like it my way better.

I don't think he did bad at all, considering what was asked of him. I have a feeling that Josefsen gets that 3rd line center spot though. I would like to see what an Elias-Arnott-Zubrus line could do.

I don't think he did bad at all, considering what was asked of him. I have a feeling that Josefsen gets that 3rd line center spot though. I would like to see what an Elias-Arnott-Zubrus line could do.

If Kovy walks, I definitely like Zubrus on the right of that line as opposed to Rolston or Clarkson.

I love the mythology of "great" Captains. So did Messier all of a sudden suck after that? Because if I recall correctly his teams missed the playoffs entirely pretty much the rest of his career.

I love that you think that a great Captains is a myth considering we were lucky enough to have one man our blue line for quite a few years. Obviously the captain can't play the game by himself he needs help but the fact is this team had nothing to feed off of. Jamie is a quitter plane and simple. He was an emotionless piece of garbage out there and a disgrace to the Devils organization.

I love that you think that a great Captains is a myth considering we were lucky enough to have one man our blue line for quite a few years. Obviously the captain can't play the game by himself he needs help but the fact is this team had nothing to feed off of. Jamie is a quitter plane and simple. He was an emotionless piece of garbage out there and a disgrace to the Devils organization.

No, I just don't overrate their effect and inflate their importance into mythic proportion.

Stevens was a great captain, but he had to learn to be great, same with Yzerman. One of the knocks against Stevens his entire career until we finally won the Cup was that you could easily take him off his game by using his temper. You can interpret this as quitting on his team because he would put his selfish ego before the team.

If Jamie was a quitter than you can include the rest of the Devils players of this as well as NO ONE stepped up in the playoffs.

I guess this team has no leaders including Parise, Elias, or Brodeur etc.

It was the second best year in his career.

Before incident 77GP 60 points After Incident 9GP 2 points.

The 9 games prior to "the quitting" Lags only had 4 pts. The last 9 he had 3 pts. The only thing that it was evidence of was that the team wasn't playing nearly as well as it did in the first half of the season.

And please, without Matteau, we wouldn't even be mentioning Messier.

I guess this team has no leaders including Parise, Elias, or Brodeur etc.

Not Parise! OMG! :blink: Parise is always a leader!!, doesnt matter if we lose or win he is a leader and always has other teams defenders key on him which is why he doesnt always score! :giggle:

LOL

You see it all the time with successful companies.

If you worked for a company that was losing market share and upper management couldn't turn the business around with their own strategies and would not listen to the sales force/workers in the field about what is going on, your company is going to fail anyway. Its basically the Emperor's New Clothes.

But stock wasn't falling. The team was in first place. The employees just stopped working hard because they thought their boss was a big fartyhead.

Look, it could be entirely true that Lemaire was pulling all the wrong strings, rubbing everyone the wrong way and being a total dick. But personalities don't have to mesh. Ask the 1980 U.S. Olympic team how much they enjoyed doing "Herbies" until their ankles bled. Coaches can do weird and seemingly inexplicable things, but the player's job is to do what the coach tells him. If it works, the coach is a genius. If it doesn't, the coach is a crackpot who gets canned. But when the players don't do what the coach says, we'll never know if he was a genius or a crackpot.

Damn you guys are persistent. You may get your wish with Langs back as the captain next year. I doubt Johny Mac has the balls to give the C to someone else and his NTC and low pay will be hard for Lou to move and be able to get something comparable. All I can say is, enjoy Mr. :evilcry:

But stock wasn't falling. The team was in first place. The employees just stopped working hard because they thought their boss was a big fartyhead.

Look, it could be entirely true that Lemaire was pulling all the wrong strings, rubbing everyone the wrong way and being a total dick. But personalities don't have to mesh. Ask the 1980 U.S. Olympic team how much they enjoyed doing "Herbies" until their ankles bled. Coaches can do weird and seemingly inexplicable things, but the player's job is to do what the coach tells him. If it works, the coach is a genius. If it doesn't, the coach is a crackpot who gets canned. But when the players don't do what the coach says, we'll never know if he was a genius or a crackpot.

i think it's really tough to argue that the devils didn't do what lemaire said. i think it's pretty easy to say that lemaire rubbed the players the wrong way. it's not just about personalities meshing - it's about lemaire undermining langenbrunner as captain. whether jamie should've thrown a fit about having the 'C' taken away - he probably shouldn't've. and i think had things on the team been going well, he wouldn't have. i don't think either party, langenbrunner or lemaire, is in the right here. certainly people should continue to work hard when their boss is a jerk, but in reality, most people don't do that.

also, what langenbrunner said in that interview is that he didn't feel like he was playing his best hockey. i think that's a very large difference between that and 'i dogged it and lost on purpose'.

Damn you guys are persistent. You may get your wish with Langs back as the captain next year. I doubt Johny Mac has the balls to give the C to someone else and his NTC and low pay will be hard for Lou to move and be able to get something comparable. All I can say is, enjoy Mr. :evilcry:

may get our wish? i think it's a near-certainty we get 'our wish'. yeah i still wouldn't mind langenbrunner being moved for something of value but it's not going to happen.