Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Breakdown of remaining UFAs (forwards) and my editorials of each

Mind you - we might not be in the market for any of these players, especially if NJ really does want to resign Zidlicky.  But I suspect if they don't (or can't) sign Zids, NJ will look to add another forward.  Let's take a look...

1. Jagr - no, too old, and non-factor come playoff time - but not terrible as a 1-year PP experiment option
  2. Ponikarovski - awful in reunion to Devils; pass
  3. Grabovski - talented player, but temper and expletive-laden reaction to buyout likely makes us pass on him (plus we don't need a top 6 center)
  4. Brunner - interesting option, goal scorer; however not proven and not worth more than 2.5m (which DET offered)
  5. Penner - no, slow, aging (and we have enough of that)
  6. Morrow - see above
  7. Cleary - not a bad bottom 6 fill at all, but at 34, pass
  8. Hejduk - old as they come, no
  9. Mueller - no, concussion issues, and we already have Clowe to fill that role
  10. Boyes - yes, had a good year in NY and is a nice complimentary player
  11. Wellwood - inconsistent, avoid
  12. Gomez - HELL NO
  13. Antropov - too slow
  14. Raymond - yes, the best (and youngest) name still available - definitely a great option to add in
  15. Gagne - old and would not thrive in our system
  16. Selanne - NA, will most likely play for ANA or retire (as per usual)

Thoughts?

Breakdown of remaining UFAs (forwards) and my editorials of each

Mind you - we might not be in the market for any of these players, especially if NJ really does want to resign Zidlicky.  But I suspect if they don't (or can't) sign Zids, NJ will look to add another forward.  Let's take a look...

1. Jagr - no, too old, and non-factor come playoff time - but not terrible as a 1-year PP experiment option
  2. Ponikarovski - awful in reunion to Devils; pass
  3. Grabovski - talented player, but temper and expletive-laden reaction to buyout likely makes us pass on him (plus we don't need a top 6 center)
  4. Brunner - interesting option, goal scorer; however not proven and not worth more than 2.5m (which DET offered)
  5. Penner - no, slow, aging (and we have enough of that)
  6. Morrow - see above
  7. Cleary - not a bad bottom 6 fill at all, but at 34, pass
  8. Hejduk - old as they come, no
  9. Mueller - no, concussion issues, and we already have Clowe to fill that role
  10. Boyes - yes, had a good year in NY and is a nice complimentary player
  11. Wellwood - inconsistent, avoid
  12. Gomez - HELL NO
  13. Antropov - too slow
  14. Raymond - yes, the best (and youngest) name still available - definitely a great option to add in
  15. Gagne - old and would not thrive in our system
  16. Selanne - NA, will most likely play for ANA or retire (as per usual)

Thoughts?

ive been pretty high on him for awhile, he's really really fast, not a natural goal scorer but he can still score a little

As much as I like Raymond, Brunner, and Mueller for the Devils, where do you think they would fit in the lineup? 

Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-xxxx-Zubrus

xxxx-Carter-Bernier

We have Josefson, Olesz, Tedenby, and Gionta to fill those spaces. It's also nearly certain that Josefson is going to take that third line center role. The only reason I left him off is because he still hasn't played a full season yet. So you've already got three guys fighting for one spot. That spot (on the fourth line) is not somewhere any of those FAs you listed will want to be. That is, of course, unless another move is coming that would change up the forwards group. The top 9 seems pretty untradable at this point anyway, though.

As much as I like Raymond, Brunner, and Mueller for the Devils, where do you think they would fit in the lineup?

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-xxxx-Zubrus

xxxx-Carter-Bernier

We have Josefson, Olesz, Tedenby, and Gionta to fill those spaces. It's also nearly certain that Josefson is going to take that third line center role. The only reason I left him off is because he still hasn't played a full season yet. So you've already got three guys fighting for one spot. That spot (on the fourth line) is not somewhere any of those FAs you listed will want to be. That is, of course, unless another move is coming that would change up the forwards group. The top 9 seems pretty untradable at this point anyway, though.

Unless we sign another top 9 center then Henrique will be a top 9 center. Brunner or Raymond would be a 3rd line winger

Were apparently interested in Gerbe

per andyStrickland

Former #sabres Nathan Gerbe hoping someone steps up and offers one-way contract...#isles #devils #caps #Coyotes  #Sharks all interested

i like him but he's very small, having him Gionta and Tedenby in the lineup would not scare away too many people

Were apparently interested in Gerbe

per andyStrickland

Former #sabres Nathan Gerbe hoping someone steps up and offers one-way contract...#isles #devils #caps #Coyotes  #Sharks all interested

i like him but he's very small, having him Gionta and Tedenby in the lineup would not scare away too many people

If all he's waiting for is a one-way, I'd be shocked if the Isles didn't offer it up. I like Gerbe, but I don't know if the Devils really have room for him with how the team stands now.

Unless we sign another top 9 center then Henrique will be a top 9 center. Brunner or Raymond would be a 3rd line winger

I don't think Brunner would sign somewhere to be a 3rd line winger.  Raymond is buyer beware, he's gotten worse over the last few years.

Gerbe'd be fine on a two-way but on a one-way no dice.  As for size, NJ also has Olesz, Zubrus, and Clowe - think they can deal with some smaller players in the lineup.

Depends on the internal marketing.  The whole top6-bottom6 thing isn't as meaningful in 2013 as it was 10 years ago.  If the Devils can roll 3 super strong forward lines, why not try and get that done?

For example - this group would be stronger than counting on Josefson to come through as an important 3rd line center.  But hey, it's also a valid point that many FAs will not want to sign unless offered a top 6 spot, so we'll see.  But I don't think it's out of the question or anything to try and lure someone to be part of a deep group.

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Boyes-Henrique-Zubrus

Josefson-Carter-Bernier

Depends on the internal marketing.  The whole top6-bottom6 thing isn't as meaningful in 2013 as it was 10 years ago.  If the Devils can roll 3 super strong forward lines, why not try and get that done?

For example - this group would be stronger than counting on Josefson to come through as an important 3rd line center.  But hey, it's also a valid point that many FAs will not want to sign unless offered a top 6 spot, so we'll see.  But I don't think it's out of the question or anything to try and lure someone to be part of a deep group.

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Boyes-Henrique-Zubrus

Josefson-Carter-Bernier

i think it may be Lou's idea. We technically could be done. but we keep hearing that we're interested with a few guys so he may still be looking at getting us a good depth, cause really thats what get you far in the playoffs