Possible Buyout Candidates

brodeur14301991

I thought players got 2/3 of the money total of a buyout, spread over six years in Volchenkov's case? That might change in a new CBA regardless but I guess it saves 'up-front' money.

Amnesty buyouts under the previous arrangement were 1/2 of the money, though I don't remember how the money was distributed.

I don't think anyone's really in a 'good' cap situation if the owners get what they want, though I suspect the $60 million number has to be negotiated up a little. We're just above the floor this year and it's basically $5 million less than what the celing's supposed to be next year. With our UFA's, total salaries might be a wash at best if all four re-sign. Elias and Zubrus will get a little less (4-4.5 and 2-2.5), Clarkson and Zajac (4+ and 5.5-6) a little more. Other RFA's might have to get a raise.

The NHL is a closed system. That means that of necessity, some teams must be in a better cap situation than others. The Devils having tons of cap room (with UFAs) is a great situation to be in, because there will be a reduced market for all players. Big market teams will not only not be looking to add, they will be looking to subtract to get under the cap. Clarkson's current contract was signed with a 59.4M cap. He won't get a substantial raise unless he has a great half-season (and even if he does, the Devils should let him walk because there'll be better players available for less money). I agree with you that I don't think 60.xM is the final number, but something like 62M could be the number, and that still puts a lot of teams up against it. Small market teams aren't looking to spend any more, either.

Amnesty buyouts under the previous arrangement were 1/2 of the money, though I don't remember how the money was distributed.

Over double the duration of the remaining contract....when Colin White was bought out he had one year left, so the buyout cap hit counted for two seasons

Less realistic. Volch looked like Mark Fraser in the playoffs last year. Contract aside, I'd rather have the spot for someone else to get a look.Saving the money is just a bonus.

Salvador is also considered a strong leader of that locker room, and the leader of the 'no name defense.' He really got them to rally around that in the playoffs. From all accounts, he's very determined and hard working in pre-season and practice. He's the kind of guy you want the younger players working with and following the example of.

Just curious what people think, but what about iginla? He's got 1 year left. I don't think he will be re-signing in Calgary. Maybe he gets bought out or traded?

Thats absolutely impossible and a disgrace from the organization to buy out Iginla... Would be absolutely disgusting

Thats absolutely impossible and a disgrace from the organization to buy out Iginla... Would be absolutely disgusting

Agreed. It would be like us buying out Marty. No matter how bad it gets, Marty has done us so right, that we have to stick to him through a bad season or finincial issues even if it hurts us. Calgary should feel nearly the same for Iginla. The guy spent his whole career there, later on to only be stuck on awful teams where Kiprusoff was/still is the only saving grace of that team. Both those guys should have long ago disappeared from Calgary, but they didn't.

now they are talking about 2 buyouts per team?

The more the better, right? The more guys dumped into FA just devalues them; supply and demand will bring their cost down.

Edit: Or do you think two buyouts might allow teams to weasel out of too much of their bad contracts and help them too much? Though if the cap does go down to $60-65M, two might not help everyone.

Edited by ATLL765

Maybe not a buyout but I feel a trade is likely.

that should have been done a long time ago... they should have blow the team and get good picks cause they really dont have a bright future... but they will wait till its too late and that their top players are not worth too much.

Iginla's their franchise player and I expect him to stay in Calgary his whole career. And even if he's not, he will go to a sexier franchise than NJ for his declining years (which I don't think I want to be a part of - he was brutal at even strength last year)

2 buyouts won't be used by that many teams IMO

He's not talking about dealing, talking about who might be available via FA due to the amnesty buyouts and Horcoff was mentioned as a possibility on Puck Daddy earlier today or last night.

I get that this is a buyout thread, but I'm just talking about bringing anyone in from Edmonton, trade or buyout.

I get that this is a buyout thread, but I'm just talking about bringing anyone in from Edmonton, trade or buyout.

Got ya. Though I have a feeling Gagner isn't getting bought out on a one year deal, lol. I really like the thought of Hossa coming to NJ, but surely that's nothing more than a pipedream. I think if we can pick up anything viable as a top 6 RW, it'll help significantly.

I assume the top 6 is gonna look like this:

Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Butler

I don't mind Zubs in the top 6, but I don't like the thought of him as a first line guy since he's not gonna hit more than 40-45 points and I definitely don't like counting on an unproven young player like Butler to be someone who can contribute well and regularly. Though I guess the two of them could be swapped at any point without much issue, I just cringe at our two top RWs being Zubs and Butler or possibly Clarky.

Edited by ATLL765

I hear that! Edmonton and New Jersey are a match made in heaven this offseason, as far as trade pieces are concerned.. I think we have a few disposable pieces they could use in exchange for a good forward or two. Love their roster!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each team now has 2 amnesty buyouts, right? Is it 1 before this season and 1 before next season? Or are they both for before next season? Thanks.

What I heard is that it's this upcoming summer and next summer. A team can use them at different times or at the same time.