Parise named captain!

SterioDesign

Hope parise will wake up with the C on his jersey (i am worried with the way he play 2 of 3 preseason games)... I still think kovalchuk is the one who deserve it but hey its my opinion.

Ilya dont need a C to be the leader of this team and giving Zach the C will help to resign him.

I have a spoiler for you... Bettman at the end of the playoff will said... Zach parisé come get the stanley cup!

I don't think there's any reason to worry about Parise's pre-season. That should be expected after such a long layoff. A couple of weeks into the season he should be right back where he was in before the injury.

And like you, I see good things this season... maybe not THAT good, haha, but good! :koolaid:

It seems that many people have forgotten how important Zach Parise is to this team. I do agree that Kovalchuk is a great candidate for captain, but that does not make Parise any less qualified. I'm happy with this decision.

exactly. its only been like a year without seeing him play

This still gives me chills...

Me too, Colin. Six years to the day, according to that video.

I am sad at the negativity in this thread. This is our new captain, on his first day in the new job. Can we get behind him 100% already please?

For me, Zach epitomizes the never give up attitude. Where lesser players would make a shot then ease up, he's the kind of guy to fight for the 5% chance, to drive to the last moment. If he can take the new guys under his wing and inspire them to emulate his energy level and commitment, this will be an outstanding season for our team.

Jersey's Team. Let's go Devils - Zach's Devils.

Im very happy for Zach. Its a decision that I dont think a fan of this team can argue against faithfully. Its still a tempered feeling. I'd like to see the number 7 under his contract years for this moment. I am not convinced he's here for the future, but I am excited for this year and have high hopes he'll be a long-term captain.

my only concern is that he'll be too nice. Patty let some toughness show last season so ...

I always get the feeling Stevens when he was in a groove - say on ice or just a hockey groove - I kind of get the feeling he says stuff by accident. I kind of think he actually might have that fast thinking mind when it comes to hockey in any event and maybe out of force of habit dealing with brothers and stuff --- I just wonder if he didn't say some fast true comments that are pretty hurtful and may have seemed uncalled for... he just seems like he passes fast harsh judgements - that bite, you know - that have teeth.

Because he throws them away - Like if a chubby person grabbed a candy he'd blurt out "That's why you're such a fatass" and kind have a non-malicious air maybe even deliver it with a friendly chuckle - and be kind of going so fast that you didn't even get to react and call him a fvcker because it just hit you out of the blue - and if you react too late you look like an idiot. I mean -- I may be wrong.

but what I AM saying -- is that those little truths -- that make you hate the messenger.... they're kind of valuable. And you sort of need to hear them. NOT from a pot-stirring Holik who slowly says it and already has his defence ready... but from a nice smart guy you respect and means nothing by it -- he's just has this thoughtless arrogant a$$hole way of blurting out what he sees. It's a verbal open ice hit and the deliverer doesn't know better -- he thinks it's part of the game.

I know it's a flaw but if it's true it accomplished something really valuable that no one can replicate. It doesn't get you any Norris trophy <_< but a good captain needs to find a way to say that stuff. Even if it's not true - it's out there floating and needs to be addressed in a productive way now. Prove a$$hole wrong if it's not true, you know? Because you know that quite confidence that he's 100% right is just all the more infuriating.

or not. :saddevil: the truth of the matter really is that I'm that way. I can't tell you how many things I've done or said. I mean you all see it here. and I never want to take it back because it's true -- but it's out of line... :saddevil: but in a team situation, :noclue: Phaa never mind I guess --

I just don't want bullsh!t diplomacy or unfocussed righteousness that Langenbrunner had going on -- everyone may have been happy but it was not effective leadership.

Edited by Pepperkorn

my only concern is that he'll be too nice. Patty let some toughness show last season so ...

I always get the feeling Stevens when he was in a groove - say on ice or just a hockey groove - I kind of get the feeling he says stuff by accident. I kind of think he actually might have that fast thinking mind when it comes to hockey in any event and maybe out of force of habit dealing with brothers and stuff --- I just wonder if he didn't say some fast true comments that are pretty hurtful and may have seemed uncalled for... he just seems like he passes fast harsh judgements - that bite, you know - that have teeth.

Because he throws them away - Like if a chubby person grabbed a candy he'd blurt out "That's why you're such a fatass" and kind have a non-malicious air maybe even deliver it with a friendly chuckle - and be kind of going so fast that you didn't even get to react and call him a fvcker because it just hit you out of the blue - and if you react too late you look like an idiot. I mean -- I may be wrong.

but what I AM saying -- is that those little truths -- that make you hate the messenger.... they're kind of valuable. And you sort of need to hear them. NOT from a pot-stirring Holik who slowly says it and already has his defence ready... but from a nice smart guy you respect and means nothing by it -- he's just has this thoughtless arrogant a$$hole way of blurting out what he sees. It's a verbal open ice hit and the deliverer doesn't know better -- he thinks it's part of the game.

I know it's a flaw but if it's true it accomplished something really valuable that no one can replicate. It doesn't get you any Norris trophy <_< but a good captain needs to find a way to say that stuff.

or not. :saddevil: teh truth of the matter really is that I'm that way. I can't tell you how many things I've done or said. I mean you all see it here. and I never want to take it back because it's true -- but it's out of line... :saddevil: but in a team situation, :noclue: Phaa never mind I guess --

I just don't want bullsh!t diplomacy or unfocussed righteousness that Langenbrunner had going on -- everyone may have been happy but it was not effective leadership.

Yeah Zach is not as "intense" a person as Stevens for example, or even Patty. He's more of a stoic sort of leader, hence why he won't be changing much in his actual actions or anything. He leads by example and all that, but I also think that literally being made leader of the team as opposed to the past where he's be a sort of figural leader will really help him along, maybe make him realize the intensity.

It's there--he's gotten into fights before and when somebody pisses him off he lets them have it all game, but unfortunately he's prone to just taking it all game from some oaf like Steve Ott and then not really let it affect him other than stepping up his game (speed, passing, etc.). I think it's just a game of wait and see. It's not so clear how it's going to affect him on the ice, or if it will at all. I'm looking forward to it though!

Next year's Captain should be Zajac.

Are you ever optimistic? Sometimes I don't have to look at your posts. I just figure the worst possible scenario and thats what you posted. You must be a hoot to hang out with.

-"Hey Manta, want to go drink some beers?" "No, I am just going to piss it out anyway"

-"Hey Manta, want to go to 6 Flags?" "No, the roller coaster will probably break when I am on it"

Edited by lucifer91

I hate ESPN:

3. Where will Zach Parise be by March 5?

Burnside: Far, far away from Newark. If the Devils aren't firmly ensconced in a playoff spot, team president and GM Lou Lamoriello will have little option but to deal Parise, who does not have a no-movement/no-trade clause. Our guess? How about playing the wing with Mike Richards in Los Angeles?

Custance: The safe answer is New Jersey, and the Devils should do whatever it takes to get Parise signed to a long-term deal. But I'll go out on a limb and say he's in Los Angeles on March 5. If the Kings are truly going to challenge for a Stanley Cup this season, they still need one more elite goal scorer for their talented centers, especially if Simon Gagne can't stay healthy. GM Dean Lombardi has stocked his system with enough young depth and talent that he can afford to be aggressive at the trade deadline, even after raiding the system to deal for Mike Richards. And landing Parise would be a dramatic improvement over the move to add Dustin Penner last season.

LeBrun: Still in Jersey. The Devils will be contending for a playoff spot, so even if they can't sign him to an extension by then, they have to keep him for the stretch drive. If the Devils fall out of playoff contention and haven't been able to sign him to an extension, they must look at the trade market. Then, you can list a long line of suitors. Among them, in our opinion, would be Los Angeles. The Kings really covet Parise, and if they can't get him this March, they'll try again July 1 if Parise hasn't signed in New Jersey.

Congratulations to Zach. It was a no brainer who would be the next Devils captain. Zach becomes the 9th Devils captain in Devils history. Well deserved and will be a good leader and captain.

Langenbrunner put in a "good word" for Zach... :-)

From ESPN's 10 questions today:

Burnside: Far, far away from Newark. If the Devils aren't firmly ensconced in a playoff spot, team president and GM Lou Lamoriello will have little option but to deal Parise, who does not have a no-movement/no-trade clause. Our guess? How about playing the wing with Mike Richards in Los Angeles?

Custance: The safe answer is New Jersey, and the Devils should do whatever it takes to get Parise signed to a long-term deal. But I'll go out on a limb and say he's in Los Angeles on March 5. If the Kings are truly going to challenge for a Stanley Cup this season, they still need one more elite goal scorer for their talented centers, especially if Simon Gagne can't stay healthy. GM Dean Lombardi has stocked his system with enough young depth and talent that he can afford to be aggressive at the trade deadline, even after raiding the system to deal for Mike Richards. And landing Parise would be a dramatic improvement over the move to add Dustin Penner last season.

LeBrun: Still in Jersey. The Devils will be contending for a playoff spot, so even if they can't sign him to an extension by then, they have to keep him for the stretch drive. If the Devils fall out of playoff contention and haven't been able to sign him to an extension, they must look at the trade market. Then, you can list a long line of suitors. Among them, in our opinion, would be Los Angeles. The Kings really covet Parise, and if they can't get him this March, they'll try again July 1 if Parise hasn't signed in New Jersey.

From ESPN's 10 questions today:

Althought I think Parise will be at least a decent captain, there is a distinct possibility of this being his last season here.

BTW no surprise Burnside picked Parise to def be out of here. He also picked the Pens to win the East and cup. Again.

Read Burnside's Devils preview lol. I've been reading articles and opinions about this organization since the 80's, and i have to say i don't think there's one other who has written as much pure disdain about the organization over time the way he does. If so, then it's someone who doesn't stick in my mind and that's with the exception of Brooks.

It's like Burnside loves to agitate and instigate Devils fans and continues to feed off it when he reads the comments.

Read Burnside's Devils preview lol. I've been reading articles and opinions about this organization since the 80's, and i have to say i don't think there's one other who has written as much pure disdain about the organization over time the way he does. If so, then it's someone who doesn't stick in my mind and that's with the exception of Brooks.

It's like Burnside loves to agitate and instigate Devils fans and continues to feed off it when he reads the comments.

lol his hate of NJ is equal only to his severe love of everything Penguins.

The image I get when I imagine Burnside writing an article is that of a middle aged beer bellied loser, on his laptop, in his boxers.

I don't take anything he writes seriously. Besides which we always do better when we get no respect anyway.

That's funny, pretty much sums up what I imagine for a few (unnamed) people here.

And just for the record, I don't use a laptop.