New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also -- Let me ask you Triumph.. isn't the point to win the cup every year? Yes there has to be balance because you dont want to end up with a Chicago Situation on your hands, but if someone offered you a Cup this yr, for a blow up of the team in the offseason would you take it. I would for sure.

So yeah, Give me Kaberle... ill take him on my squad this yr even if it means we lose Clarkson. We dont have a dearth of offensive prospects in the system, and what is going to happen is in a few years we will need spots for the guys mentioned, Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson ETC.

There was the clowe + 1st rumor a few days ago for kaberle. Is clarkson better than clowe? I think Burke likes clarkson more for sure. That being said I understand your point about hurting themselves depth wise at rw by dealing him.

clowe shoots left-handed and can therefore play LW. not to mention that all the kaberle rumors are all probably coming straight from burke, who is the Єklund (2.3% accurate) of GMs.

burke already got his clarkson with armstrong. no way i would trade clarkson and a 2nd for one year of kaberle.

It's also funny be use you talk about all the devils contracts that are ready to blow up, yet often refer to how good shape the devils are in after next year. Unless you're referring to kovalchuck and parise contracts that could be issues in say 5 years if/when their productivity drops.

i am referring to tallinder, elias, zubrus, and volchenkov. the devils are in great cap shape because they will have younger players who should be able to be productive, thus diminishing the effect of these players' decline.

Also -- Let me ask you Triumph.. isn't the point to win the cup every year? Yes there has to be balance because you dont want to end up with a Chicago Situation on your hands, but if someone offered you a Cup this yr, for a blow up of the team in the offseason would you take it. I would for sure.

So yeah, Give me Kaberle... ill take him on my squad this yr even if it means we lose Clarkson. We dont have a dearth of offensive prospects in the system, and what is going to happen is in a few years we will need spots for the guys mentioned, Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson ETC.

Getting Kaberle does not equal Stanley Cup. So what happens if we get Kabs and we don't win the cup. Then Kaberle signs somewhere else the following year and we don't have Clarkson and we're left holding the bag.

what's going to be blown up on this team? the hawks still have toews, kane, hossa, sharp, campbell, keith and seabrook. that is their core. they got rid of everything else.

the devils equivalent would be parise, kovalchuck, zajac, elias, greene, volchenkov and broduer.

we actually do. the problem isn't that new jersey doesn't have offensive prospects in the system, it's that they don't have anyone really behind the guys who will enter the system this year. it's exceptionally slim pickings in the rest of the organization. that means that if some of those guys bust (and henrique and josefson's upsides are massively overstated around here IMO - i think both are very significant underdogs to be 1st line quality), new jersey doesn't have any backup. the devils drafted one forward with NHL promise in the last 2 drafts, and that's josefson. the rest are huge longshots. of guys outside the organization, it's david wohlberg and mike hoeffel, two college players with bottom 6 type upside.

now if we could work out some sort of rolston-clarkson-tedenby-3rd for finger-kaberle, now we're talking a deal i can get behind.

Edited by Triumph

we actually do. the problem isn't that new jersey doesn't have offensive prospects in the system, it's that they don't have anyone really behind the guys who will enter the system this year. it's exceptionally slim pickings in the rest of the organization. that means that if some of those guys bust (and henrique and josefson's upsides are massively overstated around here IMO - i think both are very significant underdogs to be 1st line quality), new jersey doesn't have any backup. the devils drafted one forward with NHL promise in the last 2 drafts, and that's josefson. the rest are huge longshots. of guys outside the organization, it's david wohlberg and mike hoeffel, two college players with bottom 6 type upside.

now if we could work out some sort of rolston-clarkson-tedenby-3rd for finger-kaberle, now we're talking a deal i can get behind.

I'm interested in your opinion of McIntyre.

I'm interested in your opinion of McIntyre.

bottom 6 potential, mostly. when i say 'bottom 6', i'm not being dismissive - new jersey has lacked bottom 6 prospects for years, and has had to sign people like sergei brylin and jay pandolfo to overinflated contracts, while digging for hope with people like ilkka pikkarainen, or hoping that guys like dowd and mcammond can contribute. plus their injury fill-ins have been largely terrible over the years, with stiffs like pihlman, tallackson, and ryznar getting NHL ice time that they had no business getting. so if he can contribute on a 4th line some either this year or next, that'd be just fine.

Annnnnnnnnnd TG just posted his daily "Nothing to report" article on his blog..

Oh look! A dead horse.. Everyone get your bats!!!

Surely! :horse:

EDIT: Oh...I was beaten to it. Oh well, I'm still bringing my bat..

Edited by Devsfan118

We can't stop (talking about Kovy) here! This is bat country!

batcountryinmyeye.gif

Best quotes from that movie, when the coke gets spilled and Del Toro say "Look what god did!" and especially the "Clean out your shorts like a big Boy!" Bu the best one is where Depp talks about being on the verge of complete physical and mental collapse.

Burke wants at least a couple of 1st rounders in addition to another player. I waht has been said is true that we don't have much talent in the pipeline behind Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby, Urbom etc., then even the thought of giving up a couple of 1st round picks(not to mention Clarkson or even Rolston considering the 1st round picks) is totally right out.

Depends on the penalties for going way over.

So now you want a soft cap with lots of technicalities and specific exceptions, making the cap even more arbitrary than it all ready is? Just think how that will turn out. The way you keep your league respectable is by maintaining the rules you set forth. Once you start down the road of exceptions (see: the NBA) you hit the slippery slope of destroying the cap altogether.

Why even have the luxury tax? A tax just equals a higher cap for big market teams if ya know what I mean. And teams like the Phoenix Coyotes won't complain when they only get 25 wins a season because of the money they're getting paid from the tax (see: the MLB). It's literally "keep your mouth shut" money.

They're is already a rule in place to let you keep your homegrown talent - it's called restricted free agency. With a 59 mill cap and restricted free agency it's very hard to steal a player away without damaging your team. With a luxury tax, restricted free agency becomes a joke. No matter how loyal a player feels to a team he's not going to turn down a ridiculous offer from the Rangers.

With the unrestricted free agency system in the NHL, players go to teams that they WANT to play for. Sure, some teams are going to lose their stars but it's only because they didn't have a good experience on the team or the team is low-balling them. A team like the Coyotes can now compete with a team like the Red Wings for the best player. Sure, the player is more likely to be drawn into playing for Detroit, but it won't be because they're offering more money. I mean when a player like Kovy is a FA and Detroit, New York, Chicago and Montreal, etc... are not in the bidding, you're league is doing something right.

Burke wants at least a couple of 1st rounders in addition to another player. I waht has been said is true that we don't have much talent in the pipeline behind Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby, Urbom etc., then even the thought of giving up a couple of 1st round picks(not to mention Clarkson or even Rolston considering the 1st round picks) is totally right out.

Burke says alot of things.

Tri - that Toronto deal gives a ton up. Did you expect to sign kaberle to an extension with that deal? That's an awful lot just to essentially dump rolston and it really hurts the devils depth. I just think it's too much.

dumping rolston is enormous. and no, i wouldn't expect to sign kaberle. i guess that is too much, though.