• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

Wow, I actually give kudos to the senators. I didn't think they even noticed.

And I guess we have that 'at least their talking' mentality, but it's so hard to be optimistic.

While I hate Brooks' most times as he is the shill of shills for the players, I did like his article on Sunday.

Especially: "It is the No Hockey League, all right, the one that locks its doors not as a last resort but as a matter of course upon the expiration of labor agreements.."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/it_up_to_players_now_uBiTUJT4Kdpf0AWYIevSOM

Bettman is a cancer for this league & I just wish he'd go away.

Bettman has nothing to do with this. If he weren't there, some other guy would be.

I don't think the league will do this, I think it's just Watters blowing smoke. Replacement players don't work. The league's value is almost totally tied up in the current players.

I always had a level of optimism that these two sides would get a deal done in time. So, to see that we are this stage just floods me with disbelief at how stupid and stubborn the two sides are - that they would risk killing all the momentum and gains the league has made since the last lockout. (I side with the players but the fact that BOTH sides cant hold a meeting longer than two hours is unacceptable).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406581

No progress was made. Good job guys. You bunch of useless good for nothings.

I know many will come flocking back, probably me included, but I sense a lot more anger this time around...and a lot more awareness for the non-million and billionaires who will only get screwed by this squabbling. Will those who are angry and sick of it all actually stay away when this is resolved? Who knows, but the guess here is probably not enough to make the NHL sweat.

Here's the point I'm reaching: I still love hockey and everything about it...it's a great great sport and can be incredibly exciting, as we all know. But man I'm starting to hate the NHL and everything about it.

I know many will come flocking back, probably me included, but I sense a lot more anger this time around...and a lot more awareness for the non-million and billionaires who will only get screwed by this squabbling. Will those who are angry and sick of it all actually stay away when this is resolved? Who knows, but the guess here is probably not enough to make the NHL sweat.

Here's the point I'm reaching: I still love hockey and everything about it...it's a great great sport and can be incredibly exciting, as we all know. But man I'm starting to hate the NHL and everything about it.

Things are very different in the economy for one, so definitely people are going to take a lockout more personally. For another, I think people realized in 2004 the system needed to be changed, one way or another. It doesn't fundamentally need changing now, as much as the owners may whine it does (and yes the players should be making closer to 50% than 57%). Just about any team can compete, and win in the playoffs as this year's postseason proved. This time around there's less tangible reason for this nonsense to be happening. Plus you have Bettman - already hated for '95 and '04, AND Fehr - hated universally for his role in baseball's nonsense both involved.

For me personally, this is why I never describe myself as an 'NHL fan'. People that describe themselves as NHL fans (and the same is true of 'NFL fans, MLB fans, etc') will watch more than their team play and as such take it more personally when the sport's not there. I pay attention to the league certainly but I won't actively sit down and watch games besides the Devils. When their season's done, generally I'm done watching hockey other than bits and pieces of games maybe. My loyalty's to them, not the NHL. Maybe I'd feel differently if I thought the Devils were a main heavy with these lockouts but this year in particular, I think ownership has more pressing things to worry about than the players' HRR.

You don't watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs if the Devils aren't playing? :blink:

I don't watch complete games, I watch the last several minutes of a close game if that but I ain't staying up till 2 in the morning for a neutral game. I don't actively sit down and say I have to watch a Game 2 of Vancouver-Sharks. A cup clincher or watching a game to root against the Rangers or Flyers may be exceptions.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was pretty firmly in the Owners' camp last time. I even thought losing a season was worth it for the hard cap, as I thought their prior system was structurally unsound. This time though It's just shameless greed on the owners' part with no vision for how to actually fix the league's money issues.

Intellectually I want to give up on the NHL. I want the owners to suffer somewhat for their complete lack of respect for their labor force. But once an agreement is reached I'll give up on all these sentiments and be right back watching games cause I love watching hockey played at the highest level and the NHL still is the only league that can offer that.

I was pretty firmly in the Owners' camp last time. I even thought losing a season was worth it for the hard cap, as I thought their prior system was structurally unsound. This time though It's just shameless greed on the owners' part with no vision for how to actually fix the league's money issues.

Intellectually I want to give up on the NHL. I want the owners to suffer somewhat for their complete lack of respect for their labor force. But once an agreement is reached I'll give up on all these sentiments and be right back watching games cause I love watching hockey played at the highest level and the NHL still is the only league that can offer that.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at. It shouldn't be up to the players to make the framework of the deal that eventually gets passed.

But the owners don't care. It's not about total revenue. It's about profit. And with cost certainty, any losses get eaten up by the players.

I'm not on either side but if I had to choose I would be on the owners sides cause this comment I saw on tsn sums it up for me...

"How about - hey owners, thanks for making me a mulit millionaire to play a game, giving me the opportunity to make millions of more dollars through endorsement deals and advertising (which I keep all to myself, despite our 'partnership'). Thanks for being the major stake holders, paying all the operating costs and taking all the risk, after all we are partners. Thanks for having years were you loose 20 million dollars yet I still get 100% of my paycheck, afterall we are partners"

Have the two sides even talked about contractual issues yet? I believe that those issues are much more important in keeping the competitive balance around the league than this HRR bullsh!t. The contracts that came out this past summer were absolutely disgusting, and on top of that, how the big market teams like the flyers offered like 5 guys 100m contracts. Nashville got screwed by the flyers, and cause of these front loaded contracts they will probably never be able to make a significant singing until weber is off the books.

EDIT: and by the way i am neither pro NHLPA or pro owners. I think both sides are wrong in this. The owners for greed and concentrating on something that does not need to be drastically changed, and the players for their inability to compromise. When both sides end up at 50-50, everyone is going to wonder why it took so long.

Edited by njd3b1ink

Whelp, two weeks gone.

Yup.

http://prohockeytalk...hedule/related/

NHL cancels first two weeks of the schedule

It’s official, the lockout has cost the NHL and its players the first chunk of regular season games.

The NHL announced they’re canceling the first two weeks worth of the schedule from October 11-24 thanks to the lockout. In all, that makes 82 games to be canceled by the league. The wording of the NHL release leaves open the possibility the games could be rescheduled should a new CBA be worked out.

This marks the first time since the 2004-05 labor dispute that the league has canceled games. As you probably remember, the entire season was wiped out then.

While the league is doing that, Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports the two sides haven’t scheduled a date to meet again and bargain and it doesn’t appear likely they’ll get together until next week.

the owners are pissing me off so bad

"We were extremely disappointed to have to make today’s announcement. The game deserves better, the fans deserve better.."

fvck you you fvcking idiots. The league could go on without the new CBA in place there's NO reason to lockout the players its STRICTLY for leverage in the negociations that they are doing it fvck them

"We were extremely disappointed to have to make today’s announcement. The game deserves better, the fans deserve better.."

fvck you you fvcking idiots. The league could go on without the new CBA in place there's NO reason to lockout the players its STRICTLY for leverage in the negociations that they are doing it fvck them

That was never realistic. What incentive would the players have to give the owners a fair shake when they're getting their paychecks? The league simply can't go on if 2/3 of the owners are losing money.

No way, if the NHL allowed the players to play with no CBA they would have all the leverage and can strike at any part of the season. I dont agree with any sidebut the players saying they would play with 'good faith' is a load of crap.

I'm not on either side but if I had to choose I would be on the owners sides cause this comment I saw on tsn sums it up for me...

"How about - hey owners, thanks for making me a mulit millionaire to play a game, giving me the opportunity to make millions of more dollars through endorsement deals and advertising (which I keep all to myself, despite our 'partnership'). Thanks for being the major stake holders, paying all the operating costs and taking all the risk, after all we are partners. Thanks for having years were you loose 20 million dollars yet I still get 100% of my paycheck, afterall we are partners"

That is absolutely preposterous. The FANS are what create the demand to pay players millions of dollars. The owners are merely an overly well funded conduit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.