Detroit Red Wings @ New Jersey Devils--7pm

Neutral Zone Trap

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. If it was the old NHL, there is no way Holmstrom stays in the crease like that. Stevens and Daneyko would have destroyed his ass! More and more this new NHL is really turning into a creme puff league, which is sad. They need to protect the goalies more than what we saw last night with all the interference on Brodeur.

My how the times change. The Devils had the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals stolen from them with all those bullsh!t "in the crease" disallowed goals. Hell, Billy Guerin had three of four taken away from him for having a toe in the crease. Of course if Slava Fetisov doesn't deflect Stepanie Matteu's centering pass past Brodeur we would still be listening to that beautiful ring to the 1940 cheer!

Guys like like Cam Neely and Tim Kerr made careers by hanging in front and taking the punishment from D-men. If the league is not going to allow defensemen to get overly physical with forwards then they have to keep the them out of the crease. I would like to see Marty take a page out of Billy Smith's book and start hacking away at players such as Holmstrom. All is fair in love, war and hockey!

My how the times change. The Devils had the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals stolen from them with all those bullsh!t "in the crease" disallowed goals. Hell, Billy Guerin had three of four taken away from him for having a toe in the crease. Of course if Slava Fetisov doesn't deflect Stepanie Matteu's centering pass past Brodeur we would still be listening to that beautiful ring to the 1940 cheer!

Guys like like Cam Neely and Tim Kerr made careers by hanging in front and taking the punishment from D-men. If the league is not going to allow defensemen to get overly physical with forwards then they have to keep the them out of the crease. I would like to see Marty take a page out of Billy Smith's book and start hacking away at players such as Holmstrom. All is fair in love, war and hockey!

That was 1997.

Don't worry about it, the 94 cheer will be about the only thing we'll be hearing out of them for a while. Like Sam Rosen said, "This one will last a lifetime."

Yes. Up in section 228.

Well played sir.

I wish I could go, but distance dictates. I do get to go to some roads games once in a while. Dallas, St Louis, Phoenix, and Denver. All of those destinations are far closer to me than NJ.

Perhaps I was not clear in my original post. The game was recorded as a sellout, but there were many empty seats. So, people bought tickets and then didn't show up? Just because the weather was not ideal? That's what irritated me.

Very few games are ever truly sellout, as in 100% attendance. I mean, the Rangers report 18,200 every night, but I just turned it on and saw empty seats.

Still though, I thought it was pretty loud. 209 was noisy as usual.

I've been up in the 208/209 corner a bunch of times, and it's been good and loud. Hell, on Friday night I was in 208 and got to listen to someone yell at Niittymaki that he sucked for the entire game because he used to be a Flyer.

I know there's never 100% attendance for a variety of reasons: brokers not reselling all of their tickets, corporate tickets not used, etc., it just seemed like there were a lot of empty seats for being sold out.

Edited by TackleDummy

+1!

Totally agree with you there IceDog. The new NHL rules are certainly not for the defensemans and the goaltenders. It is for the scores as the new NHL wants offense, more goals and more goals.

Yes. Up in section 228.

I was in section 228 too, last row behind the very enthusiastic and friendly devil fan who kept on holding up an "I'm with stupid" sign, which was referring to his buddy from Detroit. It was a real fun night. It was my first time being up that high. I was surprised how great the sight lines were from up there.

Edited by The Facepainter

Good to hear the tickets were sold, but there were a lot of empty seats. WTF people? The weather wasn't that bad. Get your asses in the building and yell for your team.

Just because you "see empty seats" does not mean they are not sold. There are reasons other than the possibility of that seat holder not at the game in his or her seat for the seats to be empty.

A-seat holder could be standing in the Fire, Ice or Goal bars/lounges watching the game which happens a lot at the Prudential Center.

B-seat holder could be watching the game from the resturant eating and drinking.

C-seat holder could be watching the game in standing room area locations all over the main and upper concourses.

The whole sellout thing for most teams is usually BS. I am sure Lou tells people to call it a sellout any time it looks over 16,000.

I was just listening to Doug MacLean the other day, and he was asked just about the number they announce. You know what he said. "Every home game the marketing guy would go into his box and ask what do you want announce. I'd look around the arena and say looks like 14,000, but let's go 16,000. The marketing guy would say well there is actually 14,400...so I'd say alright make it 16,400."

Just because you "see empty seats" does not mean they are not sold. There are reasons other than the possibility of that seat holder not at the game in his or her seat for the seats to be empty.

A-seat holder could be standing in the Fire, Ice or Goal bars/lounges watching the game which happens a lot at the Prudential Center.

B-seat holder could be watching the game from the resturant eating and drinking.

C-seat holder could be watching the game in standing room area locations all over the main and upper concourses.

D-seat holder can be sick at home with the flu :P

It was definitely not a sellout. Section 134 did not have on person in it. The lower level seats (reds, not clubs) had a lot of empties... that said, the crowd was great and it felt like a playoff game. I was very pleased.

Also, a question. If someone knows... do the restaurant, goal bar, and suite seats count towards the 17,625? I remember somewhere that certain seats... like the table seats, don't count.

It was definitely not a sellout. Section 134 did not have on person in it. The lower level seats (reds, not clubs) had a lot of empties... that said, the crowd was great and it felt like a playoff game. I was very pleased.

Also, a question. If someone knows... do the restaurant, goal bar, and suite seats count towards the 17,625? I remember somewhere that certain seats... like the table seats, don't count.

The restaurant does not count towards the attendance of 17,625. If you have a ticket anyone can go to the restaurant. The goal bar and those special tables does have season tickets, numbers and sections as it counts to the attendance of 17,625.

The suite seats are owned by companies and corporations which are already paid for and counts as sold for the games attendance of 17,625. It is up to the owners of those company/corporation suites if they want to give them out to the employees, family, friends etc.

Edited by SatansDevils

ANOTHER CRAZY MOVE IN THE SHOOTOUT BY PARISE!

WOW! :gd::gd:

I have officially stolen his move whenever im practicing a shootout/breakaway and it pretty much always works (as logs a i do it right)

As for the game, haven't seen Marty that pi$$ed off for a while. He had good reason to be Holmstrom needed to be put in his place by someone.

Nieds is has picked up where he left off which is really posative and Jay was shooting whenever he got the chance. I was skeptical about signing Rob but at the moment it looks like being a pretty good move by Lou.

Although Greene lost out with some risky plays he was still generating chances at the other end and that just a compramise the Devils are going to have to live with untill he either improves that aspect of his game or we get someone better, but he looks to have at least turned a corner in terms of consistancy.

No way that was a sellout lol. Section 134 didnt have a soul in it, and there were some empties scattered about the arena, particularly lower level. If they sold all of those tix then there were AALLOOOOTTT of no-shows. Still a good crowd though.

It's no shows plus teams always fudge the numbers a little. For example, there is no way is hell Atlanta is getting 14,000 a night, which is a shame since they are doing so well right now.