Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

The Goal Bar used to be fully open and available to regular ticket holders before and after games. Now regular ticket holders are limited to a roped off section while a curtain is drawn to block the view of the ice (albeit, the one game I saw the curtain was a day game so it may have only been drawn to keep sunlight from hitting the ice).

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The Arena Bar will be opening up a sports bar section in about a month. I'm excited to see what's in store for us Devils fans!

Me too. The part that's been open since the season began has been a bummer. That place used to be great and now it's, I don't know, snobbish and crappy.

Me too. The part that's been open since the season began has been a bummer. That place used to be great and now it's, I don't know, snobbish and crappy.

I've never felt out of place or been treated differently, even after the renovations. I watched last night's game there and stuck around to nearly 1 am. I've even been there to closing a couple of times last season. I've always been treated well and I do enjoy the place.

From what I've been told, the bar's bread and butter is it's regular 10pm-4am crowd. Can't fault ownership for catering to the people paying the bills on a daily basis. But the owners also want to cater to the hockey fans too, hence the sports bar section. Should be just as great as you thought it used to be. Hey, maybe we'll run into each other down there one day! I am going to the Oilers game on Sunday...

The Spot is a good, quiet place. Scullys WAS good but too long and you'd expect they were have hostess if you dont want to go to the bar and just want to eat but they didnt so me and my buddy left. But always up to try new places.

I like The Spot, but since we do the Business plan, we're usually just getting to the arena in time. Another place, which opened last year I think, is The Key Club. I haven't been there yet, it's closer to the PAC on Park Place. Looks a bit fancier than the Hockey Jersey crowd. :P

The problem I have with checking out all of these nice places to eat on game days is that I have a hard time getting there early enough, primarily on weeknights.

I'll be going to this Wednesday's game against NYR. I really want to eat out, but I also want to be in my seat by the time the puck drops. I figure I can be parked by 6:00 pm or a few minutes earlier if I am lucky. Where do you guys recommened I should eat? What is my best bet? :noclue:

Edit: Last season, I checked out both Hell's Kitchen and Scully's and enjoyed both places. I would gladly go back to either one, if that was the best option.

Edited by 95Crash

The problem I have with checking out all of these nice places to eat on game days is that I have a hard time getting there early enough, primarily on weeknights.

I'll be going to this Wednesday's game against NYR. I really want to eat out, but I also want to be in my seat by the time the puck drops. I figure I can be parked by 6:00 pm or a few minutes earlier if I am lucky. Where do you guys recommened I should eat? What is my best bet? :noclue:

Edit: Last season, I checked out both Hell's Kitchen and Scully's and enjoyed both places. I would gladly go back to either one, if that was the best option.

I went to Hell's Kitchen on Sunday and HIGHLY recommend going back. I have the same issue with you where I can't get to Newark too early, but I also don't want to miss the start of the game...I got to Hell's Kitchen around 5:30 and left around 7 for the 7:30 puck drop, but we could have been out much earlier - it happened that I went to high school with one of the waiters, and he was quite nice to us with regards to drinks :)

God, this whole board probably thinks I'm a drunk...I'm really not, I swear...

But yes, my vote (?) is for Hell's Kitchen.

[

If you guys looking for a great Fast Food, I got Recomend: "Hamburgao" They got 3 restaurants. 2 in Newark, one in Kearny on the Kearny Ave.

For under $10 you buy a giant Steak Sanduiche called "hamburgao Beef" made on the Brazilian style( Bread, Mayo, corn Lettuce, tomato, Egg's Ham, Mozzarela , steak ) And you proprably would not be able to ate it all.

The Best sanduiches are.

Hamburgao Beef

Hamburgao Frango(samething as a Hamburgao Beef but made with chicken)

X-tudo(same as the HB or HF but made with Hamburguer unstead of beef or chicken)

Da-Casa( pealed chicken breast, Brazilian creamy chease, mayo, corn, lettuce tomatoes, and a lot of thing that i forgot.)

The Down side its a little far from the arena is in the heart of Ironbound.

here the map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...e=UTF8&z=15

On a happy note, Hell's Kitchen was rockin last night! Mostly Devils fans there, which was nice. They were raffling off Devils memorabilia, such as a signed Martin Brodeur hockey stick. Luckily, I was able to get there a little after 5 pm, about an hour earlier than I normally would be getting there. Had some hot wings and a Guinness burger, and both were delicious. But the best part was the drinks. The bartender made them nice and strong. There was no skimping on the alcohol, like other places try to do. I really got my money's worth. And everything came out in a timely fashion. I could tell that the staff realize that the fans don't want to be late for the game. Saw a few Reserved signs on some of the tables. For anyone wanting to eat there before a game -- especially big games like Rangers-Devils -- I would recommend calling in advance and reserving a table. I'll probably do that next time because by 6 pm last night, there was a bit of a wait for tables.

All in all, a big thumbs-up for Hell's Kitchen -- a positively cool (hot) Devils bar!

• 2 weeks later...
A new place called "The Spot Lounge" just opened on Commerce street neat the corner of Mulberry. I walked past it a few times and there are always Devil fans in there before the game. We stopped in before the Philly game and the food was pretty good. Two people ate and had 2 drinks each for $30.

http://atthespot.net/

I checked out The Spot tonight and definitely liked it. The place reminds me a lot of what Arena Bar used to be. The only downside is that they don't have any beer on tap (the proprietor said it had something to do with a garage being under the bar and the keg lines would have to be too long), but the bottle selection is thorough. But the food was great, everything was relatively affordable, and the people working there were extremely friendly. Nice place.

It wasn't really much of a hockey crowd, though. Aside from me and my friends, there were only two other people in the bar who were headed to the game. But as gametime approached, the place still got pretty busy, despite the fact that they weren't really pulling in the hocey crowd (yet). I'm hoping this place catches on with more and more Devils fans.

All in all, I recomment The Spot to anyone who liked what Arena Bar used to be and to anyone looking for a change of pace from Scully's or Hell's Kitchen.

I checked out The Spot tonight and definitely liked it. The place reminds me a lot of what Arena Bar used to be. The only downside is that they don't have any beer on tap (the proprietor said it had something to do with a garage being under the bar and the keg lines would have to be too long), but the bottle selection is thorough. But the food was great, everything was relatively affordable, and the people working there were extremely friendly. Nice place.

It wasn't really much of a hockey crowd, though. Aside from me and my friends, there were only two other people in the bar who were headed to the game. But as gametime approached, the place still got pretty busy, despite the fact that they weren't really pulling in the hocey crowd (yet). I'm hoping this place catches on with more and more Devils fans.

All in all, I recomment The Spot to anyone who liked what Arena Bar used to be and to anyone looking for a change of pace from Scully's or Hell's Kitchen.

If you don't mind walking but like free parkign I suggest parking on the Norh End of Halsey and trying Killkennys Ale House ( http://www.kilkennyalehouse.net/ ) , Mcgoverns ( http://www.mcgovernstavern.com/ ) , Nicks in Newark ( www.nicksinnewark.com ) and then crawl over to Maize (not quite the sports bar, but neither is theater square grill but this is my Saint Pat's day bar crawl list now :joker: ), the Key Club, 60 Park, the Spot, Sullys and if your still standing and didn't miss the game you will be a very happy devils fan :boogie:

If you don't mind walking but like free parkign I suggest parking on the Norh End of Halsey and trying Killkennys Ale House ( http://www.kilkennyalehouse.net/ ) , Mcgoverns ( http://www.mcgovernstavern.com/ ) , Nicks in Newark ( www.nicksinnewark.com ) and then crawl over to Maize (not quite the sports bar, but neither is theater square grill but this is my Saint Pat's day bar crawl list now :joker: ), the Key Club, 60 Park, the Spot, Sullys and if your still standing and didn't miss the game you will be a very happy devils fan :boogie:

To hell with Belmar, I think you may have outlined my new St. Pat's plans. :cheers:

food around the rock: maaaaaaaaaaaaad expensive.

Well that's entirely determined by how far you go from the Rock. Someone mentioned Hamburgao but you have to check out Altas Horas on Ferry street by Sol De Mar, espectially for post game activities. I am willing to concede I usually have a few beverages in me when I go there, but they are 24/7 and they have a sandwich that is steak, chicken, egg, bacon, hamburger and a few other things, I had to break it apart to get my mouth around it, and I think it was 7 dollars.

Looks like I'm FINALLY gonna check out Boi Na Brasa before this Saturday's game with my folks. I've been wanting to eat at this place since I first heard about it last season, but could never seem to get there. Before going, does anyone have any advice? Like what time to show up, what to order (is there even a choice? Or is it just meat sliced off swords?), etc.?

Boi Na Brasa is AMAZING! I'm still not sure what the difference between the BBQ Rodizio and the Sirlion Rodizio is (other than $2), but hot damn was the food good! The top sirlion was the best. The chicken hearts were surprisingly decent ... kind of mushroomy. I wasn't a fan of the bull hump. The pork, pork sausage, chicken, turkey wrapped in bacon and prime rib were all excellent.

Simply amazing.

food around the rock: maaaaaaaaaaaaad expensive.

Coming from Manhattan, I definitely disagree. I feel like I'm at a 30% off sale at all the restaurants when I'm in Newark. Plus its definitely nice not seeing $13 cocktails on the menus.

Hell's Kitchen is one of the biggest bargains around. You just cannot top the $25 beer vessel, which even comes with mozzarella sticks!