596 replies to this topic

#141 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

For Boucher to really show some progress this year, what do you guys think his stats should look like? I mean, this team is dying for a high skill RW and even if it comes in a player that lacks somewhat in his all around game, I'd take it at this point. The Devils have had a hole at RW for years and haven't done much to fix it besides plugging the hole with a band-aid here and there.

I don't really follow junior hockey, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what his stat line should look like in comparison to last year in order to show he's rounding out his game instead of being that one trick pony that is satisfied with lighting it up in juniors and not learning how to really play the game.

Boucher is a very late draft pick - had he been born 8 days later, he wouldn't've been eligible for the draft until 2012. That makes projecting him a little trickier since he is 6 months younger than the average 2012 'of age' pick. Still, NHL equivalencies suggest that his performance so far this year would be equal to 25 points over 82 games in the NHL. I'd like to see better than that, because none of the scouts seem to think his defense is any good, so he might be the kind of player who has to score 20 goals per 82 games to justify a spot in the NHL. We'll see once he goes to the AHL next year, but I think of him now as I thought of Nick Palmieri a few years ago - if you squint and hope you can definitely see the possibility of a good NHL player, but more likely than not it won't come together for him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#142 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Friday 11/16
QMJHL
Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Drummondville 6-3
Stefan Matteau LW: E, 7 PIM (Charging, Fighting, Game Misconduct), 1 Shot, 1/3 Faceoffs, 2 Hits

OHL
Sarnia lost to Sudbury 3-2 (SO)
Reid Boucher LW: -1, Stopped in SO

Kitchener defeated Erie 3-1
Ben Thomson LW: E

WHL
Kelowna lost to Tri-City 3-2
Damon Severson D: -1

NCAA
Michigan lost to Notre Dame 4-1
Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Minnesota tied Wisconsin 2-2
Seth Helgeson D: E, 4 PIM (Roughing x2), 2 Shots, 1 Block

Wisconsin tied Minnesota 2-2
Joe Faust D: +1, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

Ohio State defeated Northern Michigan 2-0
Curtis Gedig D: E, 1 Block

North Dakota tied Minnesota-Duluth 4-4
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 3 Shots, 1/1 Faceoff

Miami tied Michigan State 2-2 (Won SO)
Blake Coleman C: E, 2 PIM (Interference), 2 Shots, 8/16 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech defeated Bemidji State 5-4 (OT)
Blake Pietila LW: Goal, +2, 2 Shots, 1 Block, 6/8 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat, 17 November 2012 - 01:13 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#143 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Saturday 11/17
OHL
Windsor lost to Barrie 6-5 (OT)
Ben Johnson LW: Assist, E

Kitchener lost to Owen Sound 4-0
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 6 PIM (Cross Checking, Roughing, Hooking)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Red Deer 2-1
Reece Scarlett D: -2
Graham Black C: -1, 2 PIM (Holding)

Kelowna lost to Tri-City 3-2
Damon Severson D: -1, 2 PIM (Hooking)

BCHL
Coquitlam lost to Chilliwack 5-1
Alex Kerfoot C: E

NCAA
Minnesota defeated Wisconsin 3-1
Seth Helgeson D: Assist (EN), +2, 3 Blocks

Wisconsin lost to Minnesota 3-1
Joe Faust D: E, 4 PIM (Roughing x2), 1 Block

Ohio State defeated Northern Michigan 4-2
Curtis Gedig D: +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 4 Shots, 1 Block

North Dakota defeated Minnesota-Duluth 4-3 (OT)
Derek Rodwell RW: -1, 4 PIM (Roughing Double Minor), 1 Shot

Miami defeated Michigan State 2-0
Blake Coleman C: E, 4 Shots, 7/13 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech defeated Bemidji State 2-1 (OT)
Blake Pietila LW: Goal (GWG), E, 4 Shots, 5/13 Faceoffs

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#144 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

brutal weekend for the prospects. if we had real hockey i wouldn't be following so closely.

coleman and pietila still giving me hope that they will be solid AHLers and potential NHLers though

#145 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

My general take on the prospects just by following stats, blogs, and very limited viewings...

Out of the NCAA prospects I'm really excited about Merrill but it sucks how much time he's missed the past year and a half. I like the skillset Coleman brings to the table even if he is about to be a 21 yr old sophomore. He's averaging .5 points per game, 4 shots per game, and has a 50.29 FO% as Miami's 3rd line center. Pietila is having a great start to his sophomore year and I love everything I've read on his defensive game. I haven't heard too much on Gedig but he seems like a solid shot blocker and trusted player for Ohio State. Helgeson seems like a physical d-man who will have a shot to play in Albany next year and we'll get an idea if he can be a solid pro player. Rodwell and Faust don't seem like they have a chance of getting signed by NJ when they finish college. Hell, Faust is a junior and it appears he is still on the 3rd pairing for the Badgers.

Out of the CHL guys I really like Matteau and Severson and to a lesser degree Black and Scarlett. Matteau's point totals may not be where people expect but like Coleman, I like his skill set. Severson already has a lot of WHL experience for a solid program in Kelowna and is night in and night out taking on the toughest assignments. Scarlett seems to be having a slightly underwhelming year thus far but I still think he has a real shot at being in NJ one day. Black has really justified his overage selection. I have a hard time getting as high on Boucher as others due to the lack of his overall game outside of his shot. He is one of the younger guys for his draft year so perhaps I am judging him too harshly but I don't know if his shot alone will be great enough to make him a solid pro. Not that excited about Johnson or Thomson.

Kerfoot in the BCHL is project pick so I can't hold any sort of judgement on him for a while. Still disappointed that Gavrus isn't playing in Owen Sound and given his injury history I would be surprised to ever see him in NJ.

#146 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Add two more goals to Graham Black's total. He now lead the Broncs in that category with twelve and counting.

#147 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Out of the NCAA prospects I'm really excited about Merrill but it sucks how much time he's missed the past year and a half. I like the skillset Coleman brings to the table even if he is about to be a 21 yr old sophomore. He's averaging .5 points per game, 4 shots per game, and has a 50.29 FO% as Miami's 3rd line center. Pietila is having a great start to his sophomore year and I love everything I've read on his defensive game. I haven't heard too much on Gedig but he seems like a solid shot blocker and trusted player for Ohio State. Helgeson seems like a physical d-man who will have a shot to play in Albany next year and we'll get an idea if he can be a solid pro player. Rodwell and Faust don't seem like they have a chance of getting signed by NJ when they finish college. Hell, Faust is a junior and it appears he is still on the 3rd pairing for the Badgers.

I know I said the same about Miller/Fayne but I could see the Devils passing on Helgeson, depending on what happens with McPherson and Hraberenka. Right now it looks like, signed for next year on D in the Devils' org are: Volchenkov, Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson, Salvador, Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon. So that's 10. Kelly and Young are RFA and probably won't be brought back on an NHL contract. Corrente could be put back on an NHL deal. But then you've got Merrill and Scarlett - unless NJ wants to leave Scarlett in Swift Current for his y-20 season which makes no sense. Helgeson seems like a low-upside guy - takes a lot of penalties. I could see him brought in on an AHL deal like McPherson.

Kerfoot in the BCHL is project pick so I can't hold any sort of judgement on him for a while. Still disappointed that Gavrus isn't playing in Owen Sound and given his injury history I would be surprised to ever see him in NJ.

I did forget that Hraberenka is Belarussian, which is at least someone in the organization who can talk it up to him. He could be the AHL in two years.

Edited by Triumph, 18 November 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#148 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Sunday 11/18
QMJHL
Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 5-1
Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 6 Shots, 4/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit* 1st Star
Season: 22 GP 12-9-21 +11 48 PIM 15.58 SH% 3.50 SH/GP 25 Hits 52.0 FO%

OHL
Sarnia lost to Sault Ste. Marie 9-2
Reid Boucher LW: Goal, -1, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)
Season: 23 GP 13-10-23 -2 22 PIM

Windsor lost to Owen Sound 1-0
Ben Johnson LW: E
Season: 23 GP 3-5-8 E 14 PIM

Kitchener lost to London 4-3
Season: 22 GP 3-6-9 -4 31 PIM

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-2
Reece Scarlett D: -1
Season: 22 GP 1-9-10 -7 18 PIM
Graham Black C: 2 Goals (1 PP), -1* 2nd Star
Season: 23 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

BCHL
Coquitlam lost to Vernon 7-5
Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, Assist, 2 PIM (Slashing)* No +/- on the gamesheet
Season: 14 GP 7-11-18 E 14 PIM

#149 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Sunday 11/18
QMJHL
Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 5-1
Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 6 Shots, 4/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit* 1st Star
Season: 22 GP 12-9-21 +11 48 PIM 15.58 SH% 3.50 SH/GP 25 Hits 52.0 FO%

OHL
Sarnia lost to Sault Ste. Marie 9-2
Reid Boucher LW: Goal, -1, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)
Season: 23 GP 13-10-23 -2 22 PIM

Windsor lost to Owen Sound 1-0
Ben Johnson LW: E
Season: 23 GP 3-5-8 E 14 PIM

Kitchener lost to London 4-3
Season: 22 GP 3-6-9 -4 31 PIM

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-2
Reece Scarlett D: -1
Season: 22 GP 1-9-10 -7 18 PIM
Graham Black C: 2 Goals (1 PP), -1* 2nd Star
Season: 23 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

BCHL
Coquitlam lost to Vernon 7-5
Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, Assist, 2 PIM (Slashing)* No +/- on the gamesheet
Season: 14 GP 7-11-18 E 14 PIM

Big night for Matteau and Black.

Out of interest what is the level of quality like in the BCHL and the WHL?

Kerfoot and Black seem to be putting up nice numbers.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#150 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Big night for Matteau and Black.

Out of interest what is the level of quality like in the BCHL and the WHL?

Kerfoot and Black seem to be putting up nice numbers.

The Dub is typically the more defensively geared league of the OHL, and Q. I mean look at some of the defensive prospects. Dumba, Reinhart, Murray, Reilly, Seth Jones, Myles Bell, Derrick Pouliot, etc.

There's also our guys like Severson and Reece, who look like marginal prospects compared to those above. I really like Ryan Pulock, kid is 2013 eligible, 3rd in points by defencemen and he recently recorded a 101 mph slapper in the Wheat Kings skills competition. Plus he's a right handed shot and the team's captain.

BCHL I don't know much about.

As for Black and Matteau. It seems like they would both be even more fit if they were to switch league's. Matteau likes a physical game which would be more fit for the W, and Black's game is mostly about speed which is most fit for the Q. Although in the Subway Super Series, Black did show some aggression and willingness to be physical. I really like Black and hope someday he makes the team. I can see him being a mid-six guy who may be better off at the wing. I really want to see him play with Henrique on a line.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324, 19 November 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#151 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,584 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

BCHL is a cut below all the other leagues.

For example, look at Zajac's final year in it before going to US College.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=69006

You can look at the BCHL on hockeydb.com to see they don't have a lot of draftable talent in that league from year to yet.

http://www.hockeydb....2&leaguenm=BCHL

http://www.hockeydb....1&leaguenm=BCHL

Kerfoot's numbers are ok, considering the league he is in, but he was a 5th round pick so it isn't a surprise he isn't a guy that is going to look like a huge prospect. Since the BCHL lacks the higher end talent I think it becomes hard to look at numbers and evaluate how well a guy is doing, it will be a lot easier to do that when he is at Harvard next year.

Kerfoot was a 5th round NHL pick and a 12th round WHL pick and his production hasn't improved from last year to this year in a lesser league. It sounds like he has some good tools by what people say, but he has a long road to go to even start looking like a NHL prospect, to me.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#152 SMantzas

SMantzas

Head Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Tri, I dont remember if it was in this thread, but you had a stat that measured how Boucher would do if he went pro. Could you plug in the same formula for Matteau and Black?

#153 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

I feel like the difference in the junior leagues is exaggerated. It's not like there aren't plenty of physical players who've come out of the Q or fast guys who've come out of the WHL.

Mantzas: by NHL equivalencies and assuming the same rates of scoring, Black would have 20 points, Matteau 22 over 82 game seasons. Both guys are goal heavy though which I like.

#154 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

The Dub is typically the more defensively geared league of the OHL, and Q. I mean look at some of the defensive prospects. Dumba, Reinhart, Murray, Reilly, Seth Jones, Myles Bell, Derrick Pouliot, etc.

There's also our guys like Severson and Reece, who look like marginal prospects compared to those above. I really like Ryan Pulock, kid is 2013 eligible, 3rd in points by defencemen and he recently recorded a 101 mph slapper in the Wheat Kings skills competition. Plus he's a right handed shot and the team's captain.

BCHL I don't know much about.

As for Black and Matteau. It seems like they would both be even more fit if they were to switch league's. Matteau likes a physical game which would be more fit for the W, and Black's game is mostly about speed which is most fit for the Q. Although in the Subway Super Series, Black did show some aggression and willingness to be physical. I really like Black and hope someday he makes the team. I can see him being a mid-six guy who may be better off at the wing. I really want to see him play with Henrique on a line.

Thanks for the info, if both players can excel in leagues where there games aren't totally suited then that can only be a good sign. Although really I would want a prospect playing in the most difficult league possible no matter what their skill set. You learn more when you are placed in situations like that.

BCHL is a cut below all the other leagues.

For example, look at Zajac's final year in it before going to US College.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=69006

You can look at the BCHL on hockeydb.com to see they don't have a lot of draftable talent in that league from year to yet.

http://www.hockeydb....2&leaguenm=BCHL

http://www.hockeydb....1&leaguenm=BCHL

Kerfoot's numbers are ok, considering the league he is in, but he was a 5th round pick so it isn't a surprise he isn't a guy that is going to look like a huge prospect. Since the BCHL lacks the higher end talent I think it becomes hard to look at numbers and evaluate how well a guy is doing, it will be a lot easier to do that when he is at Harvard next year.

Kerfoot was a 5th round NHL pick and a 12th round WHL pick and his production hasn't improved from last year to this year in a lesser league. It sounds like he has some good tools by what people say, but he has a long road to go to even start looking like a NHL prospect, to me.

Thats a fair point, i mean based on a full season at his current production rate Kerfoot would be puting up 81 points which would put him in the top 10 in the league based on last years standings.

But if the League is not as strong then as you pointed out maybe he needs to be putting up Zajac numbers and getting closer to 100 points or pushing 2 points per game.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#155 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Monday 11/19
Belarus
Neman Grodno defeated HC Brest 9-3
Artur Gavrus F: 2 Goals, +2, 4 Shots
Season: 12 GP 5-2-7 +8 0 PIM 13.51 SH% 3.08 SH/GP

Tuesday 11/20
WHL
Swift Current lost to Edmonton 2-1
Reece Scarlett D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Season: 23 GP 1-10-11 -6 20 PIM
Graham Black C: E
Season: 24 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

#156 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Belorussian men's league probably sucks but nice to see Gavrus doing reasonably well there.

Saw this tweet from a WHL viewer:

"Reece Scarlett of the Broncos has been exceptional tonight - Devils 6th round pick. Great puck mover."

#157 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

When I seen Reece Scarlett I instantly thought raw Paul Martin. A lot of things need to come into place in order for him even resemble Martin but he has the raw skills, panic threashhold and passing ability.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#158 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Belorussian men's league probably sucks but nice to see Gavrus doing reasonably well there.

It may suck but Gavrus is doing exceptionally well, especially in a lockout year. When Sergei Kostitsyn played in 04/05, his draft year, he put up 14 points in 40 games. Regardless if its a level below the KHL, he is still putting up a lot of shots and nice production for an 18 year old at 9 points in 13 games.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 21 November 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#159 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Gavrus with another strong game:

Neman Grodno defeated Junior 3-0
Artur Gavrus F: 3 Assists (2 PP), +1, 8 Shots
Season: 13 GP 5-5-10 +9 11.11 SH% 3.46 SH/GP

#160 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Gavrus with another strong game:

Neman Grodno defeated Junior 3-0
Artur Gavrus F: 3 Assists (2 PP), +1, 8 Shots
Season: 13 GP 5-5-10 +9 11.11 SH% 3.46 SH/GP

Where are you getting his stats at. I can't see anything to do with shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users