Florida panthers vs NJ Devils

caron14

Omg, I couldnt think the RW-LW discussion for Kovy couldnt get even worse...now the conversation is back when he is hurt.

For the last time...it doesn't matter what side he is on. He came rushing on the left side multiple times last night alone. It doesn't matter. He is all over the place.

Edited by Zubie#8

I remember earlier this season the Rags Callahan suffered what looked like a very severe shoulder injury during a fight and only missed like 2-3 games. Hopefully we'll be just as fortunate.

I was thinking the same thing. When he got hurt people thought he would be out a while because of how bad it looked but then when he was evaluated it wasnt major. Thats what im hoping for. Obviously it hurt alot when it happened but maybe its not as serious as everyone thinks. Im hopeing he will be out for a week and play next monday against the isles

If Kovy is out, I dont see how we make the playoffs.

The Devils schedule in April is brutal.

Filling his spot with D'Agostini really won't be that different at even strength.

Wow, you can take a player you have at best seen play a few minutes during the course of hs career, and conclude he can fill in the same at even strength for Kovalchuk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, Kovy sadly has been a non factor at ES this season (with a butt load of shots hitting the post to his credit). We will certianly miss his presence at ES since he most likely draws tough minutes against shutdown lines and D pairings. But he has been outstanding on the PK all year, he was a monster yesterday. Also yesterday shows why Kovalchuk mans the point on the PP. The entire thing is run through him, he knows what to do without thinking twice. The entire team was lost without him after they got set up with Harrold and Zidlicky at the points.

Edited by Zubie#8

Wow, you can take a player you have at best seen play a few minutes during the course of hs career, and conclude he can fill in the same at even strength for Kovalchuk. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen Kovalchuk for years and he is a breakeven player at ES.  There is no way to cut up the numbers to prove anything else.  He's a dynamite penalty killer and they'll miss him on the PP, but I really can't find evidence that he is all that good at even strength.

Filling his spot with D'Agostini really won't be that different at even strength.

You can say that about a lot of players around the league in terms of ES differences.  I understand and get where you are coming from and what you will use as a baseline argument, but I'm actually not willing to buy it outright without more of a sample size first.  When it comes to ES play, there's more than than just the numbers.  Kovy brings different elements at ES play.  He'll rush the puck in, he's a terrific passer as wel despite the fact he'll turn the puck over still at a fair rate, but he also plays a pretty diverse style of hockey nowadays, bringing physicality, puck-handling, good passing.  I don't see D'Agostini bringing any of those things, and our quality at forward is average at best as is, with depth still a problem as far as I see it.

Either way, we're going to find out and I don't think it's going to be pretty.  I'm not a huge D'Agostini fan and I doubt he'll be on the team next year, but I'll hope for lightning in a bottle here.

And I never thought we'd see it, but the impact Kovy had on the PK will be felt, but the PP will obviously be moreso. 

Wow, you can take a player you have at best seen play a few minutes during the course of hs career, and conclude he can fill in the same at even strength for Kovalchuk. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen Kovalchuk for years and he is a breakeven player at ES. There is no way to cut up the numbers to prove anything else. He's a dynamite penalty killer and they'll miss him on the PP, but I really can't find evidence that he is all that good at even strength.

I've watched him too, and he can make great passes through the neutral zone that 99 percent of players can't make (see game 3 against the Flyers) and draws extra defenseman to himself (see game 6 against the Panthers). He's better defensively now than when he first got here.

Hockey is not baseball, where you can rely on the numbers. For all the stats you throw out there, you get back to the chicken and egg issue. You seem to even admit this, but provide little in the way of answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've watched him too, and he can make great passes through the neutral zone that 99 percent of players can't make (see game 3 against the Flyers) and draws extra defenseman to himself (see game 6 against the Panthers). He's better defensively now than when he first got here. Hockey is not baseball, where you can rely on the numbers. For all the stats you throw out there, you get back to the chicken and egg issue. You seem to even admit this, but provide little in the way of answers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What chicken and the egg issue?  Yeah, your stats rely on the other 5 guys on the ice.  But it's been 5+ years, and Kovalchuk has shown no sign of being able to drag his teammates forward or shoot significantly above the NHL average (anymore).  Are the Devils a bad team now?  No, they have a terrific defense.  They've gotten him good forwards to play with and bad.  Kovalchuk can make great plays, he can also make bonehead ones, he takes bad angles to pucks on the forecheck, he seldom sells out to keep a puck in, he makes low-percentage passes and sometimes they connect, and he makes 1 on 1 moves where often, he shouldn't.  All that adds up to being break-even.  D'Agostini is break even-ish too.  Like I said, I don't think he will be missed at ES.  But on the PP, for sure, and on the PK, especially so.

Much needed two points, but of course the result will be overshadowed by the Kovalchuk injury.  Of course we're gonna miss him on special teams and we're gonna miss his game breaking ability. However, our D is really, really good. We've given up less than 25 shots in thirteen straight games.  As long as our D plays well and some guys step up, we'll be fine.  

I've watched him too, and he can make great passes through the neutral zone that 99 percent of players can't make (see game 3 against the Flyers) and draws extra defenseman to himself (see game 6 against the Panthers). He's better defensively now than when he first got here. Hockey is not baseball, where you can rely on the numbers. For all the stats you throw out there, you get back to the chicken and egg issue. You seem to even admit this, but provide little in the way of answers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He has 4 goals at ES.   He's 4-7-11.   Zajac, that guy everyone's bitching about, is 4-6-10.

He absolutely did no such thing - he went back briefly but was then moved back to RW.  He is playing RW now. But he only has 5 ES goals.

Shows how much I've been watching.   LOL, I assume he stayed back.

Much needed two points, but of course the result will be overshadowed by the Kovalchuk injury.  Of course we're gonna miss him on special teams and we're gonna miss his game breaking ability. However, our D is really, really good. We've given up less than 25 shots in thirteen straight games.  As long as our D plays well and some guys step up, we'll be fine.  

I keep thinking they are playing like they were during the 2010-11 run with Lemaire.

Oh I didn't know D'Agostini was capable of playing 27:00 mins a game. Think before you post.

You realize that Kovalchuk puts in a good 8-10 a night playing D, right?   Especially since our PP sucks and tends to use the entire 2 minutes...

Edited by maxpower

Oh I didn't know D'Agostini was capable of playing 27:00 mins a game. Think before you post.

Kovalchuk's ES minutes are way down lately.  He's been playing a ton on special teams, but he probably has been playing closer to 15 minutes a night at ES in non-OT games.  Give 13 of those minutes to D'Agostini and spread the other 2 around.

It doesn't matter. Is D'Agostini capable of playing those mins for a stretch?

Someone will have to, the D minutes go back to the D.  The forward minutes are alot but at least it requires no change to the PP forward lineup.   Hope Larsson is ready to play the point.

Kovalchuk's ES minutes are way down lately. He's been playing a ton on special teams, but he probably has been playing closer to 15 minutes a night at ES in non-OT games. Give 13 of those minutes to D'Agostini and spread the other 2 around.

Its not that simple. Will the opposing team burn their top pair defensemen more when D'Agostini is out there or will they focus in more on the Elias line...