Holik signs with NJ

Jake

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou's gonna be broke? You do realize that it's a ONE YEAR CONTRACT. And just what indicates that this team will be in re-building mode? If you can see 3/4 years in the future, god bless you. But we'll have a superstar in Zach Parise, and a solid d-man in Paully Martin, Trav will be better, hopfeully some of the recent drafts have worked out. And the team's NOT stupid; they're GOING to find a goalie in the next few drafts, because they KNOW Marty's future is limited. But let's not through the white-flag in yet, especially after Lou goes and picks up 2 solid free-agents, we can move Gionta/picks both for cap-space and a quality blueliner and we'll be really good this year, and Lou will do what Lou thinks is right for next year...but signing a guy to a 1 year 2.5m contract in no way, shape, or form just sent the Devils into rebuilding mode.

Not sure how to respond to this.

Lou's gonna be broke? Re-read my post. My comment is that there is little attention focused on the future and while some posters have reasonably pointed out that Marty is a one of a kind talent and should be the center piece of a cup run now, I still believe that we are in line for some lean years in the not so distant future.

While you seem to mock me for my concerns and you label me as someone who thinks they can see the future, re read your post. Seems to me there are a couple of predictions there too:

Superstar in Zach, Solid D-man in Martin, Trav will be better. The team is GOING to find a goalie.

Who wants Gionta/picks for a quality blueliner? Find me a team? If it happens then great but look for the value on both sides not just what makes sense for the Devils. It takes two to trade. Plus the picks weaken our future more.

I think a better Offensive Crash line would be..

Zubrus/Holik/Clarkson..

That is the best 4th line in the league right there..

Is that going to win a cup?

Why are people so focused on the negative.

Maybe they won't win a cup.

What matters RIGHT NOW, is that we are a MUCH MUCH better team than we were before.

We got a pure scorer in Rolston, we got a huge checker and faceoff competitor in Holik. The hell more do you want? Hossa/Campbell don't win stanley cups either you know. Shut up and get excited.

Why are people so focused on the negative.

Maybe they won't win a cup.

What matters RIGHT NOW, is that we are a MUCH MUCH better team than we were before.

We got a pure scorer in Rolston, we got a huge checker and faceoff competitor in Holik. The hell more do you want? Hossa/Campbell don't win stanley cups either you know. Shut up and get excited.

I'll check with you next time I want to express an opinion. :blahblah:

As a fan of this team from the beginning, I've seen some really crappy teams and the obvious great ones. Sure the thrill is in the chase but the goal is not the second round of the playoffs. With a franchise with so much recent success compared to most other franchises in the sport the bar has been set as the cup, nothing less, at least in my eyes.

"MUCH MUCH better" is up for debate that we will only be able to answer 11 months from now. As to what I want? A younger scorer or two, better defense, a PP QB just to name a few.

I think he can be effective in front of the goal.. I think hes more aggressive than Zubrus can be in front of the net.. Zubrus doesn't always use his body and drive to the net like he should

He also punishes players on the boards, Holik has no problem throwing his weight around.

He also punishes players on the boards, Holik has no problem throwing his weight around.

Yeah, Mike Rupp has similar size but is horrible at throwing good checks so it'll help to have a banger out there that will be feared

Yeah, Mike Rupp has similar size but is horrible at throwing good checks so it'll help to have a banger out there that will be feared

Exactly, that's how mistakes happen and we'll get turnovers in the offensive end and scoring chances.

Not sure how to feel about this , all i can say is thank god its only a one year deal. At $0.75 mill a year les i like it , but not to hot on it right now.

Do we have the most expensive Third and Fourth lines in the NHL LOL

Not sure how to feel about this , all i can say is thank god its only a one year deal. At $0.75 mill a year les i like it , but not to hot on it right now.

Do we have the most expensive Third and Fourth lines in the NHL LOL

I agree with you CD but that third and fourth line might just be the difference as the season wears on. Let's hope anyway.

If the options are trashing the team, trading Marty and gutting it out for a few years while we let prospects grow OR signing veteran players and taking another run at the top knowing that in a couple of years this team will be in trouble because of the age of the roster I vote to sign the older players.

Alot of people on this board aren't old enough to remember the days of Muller and Cirella when we flat out sucked and the joy we had when MacLean scored against Chicago just to make the playoffs. Those were dark, "Mickey Mouse" days - no one who remembers those days in their right mind would want to return to them.

We will never have a player as good as Marty, we should do all we can while he is here to try to win it all.

I remember those days. :D They were bad as a team but everything else was fun :D

Those were dark, "Mickey Mouse" days - no one who remembers those days in their right mind would want to return to them.

But out of that mess came good young players and we were able to build a team that won several cups. You can alternately be bad and good or you can be the St. Louis Blues and never win the cup.

I'm glad that Lou is spending the money to give Marty one last shot at winning. But if this doesn't work, we need to find some way of getting some young talent into the organization.

Do we have the most expensive third and fourth lines, perhaps. But we probably have one of the better and more consistent third and fourth line pairings in hockey, especially once you consider the way the Devils play and how they are incorporated into that.

In terms of Holik, theres no question his offensive ability has diminished and hes no longer a serious goal scoring threat, but he is geniunely feared by goalies and defenseman in this league. Holik simply doesnt care, he will throw himself at you, around you, on you. He creates space and takes defensemen with him as he moves because hes so imposing.

Do we have the most expensive third and fourth lines, perhaps. But we probably have one of the better and more consistent third and fourth line pairings in hockey, especially once you consider the way the Devils play and how they are incorporated into that.

In terms of Holik, theres no question his offensive ability has diminished and hes no longer a serious goal scoring threat, but he is geniunely feared by goalies and defenseman in this league. Holik simply doesnt care, he will throw himself at you, around you, on you. He creates space and takes defensemen with him as he moves because hes so imposing.

I cannot wait to see Frankenbrow barrelling over the soft d-corps of the Atlantic division. Awesome!!