Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

Well one thing for sure, Parise jerseys wont be selling too well this season, i wouldnt spend a few hundred bucks on a guy who may leave a few months after... And its not like buying a shirt for "history sake" like elias, stevens, nierdermayer, brodeur or wtv

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$6 mil? Coming off of an injury that forced you to miss basically a season, is a $1 mil bump in actual salary (as an RFA) market value or a little over? Are they in the ballpark $$ wise but not length? I guess I'm asking if there are any clues with 6 mil.

arbitration is really strange, and i don't know if anyone's ever gone to arbitration coming off a season like zach's. i'm not convinced he would've gotten more than 5.5M in arbitration. so 6M is kind of a favor. i think it's notable that 6M is also kovalchuk's salary for next year, and elias's cap hit.

Edited by Triumph

If it was just about the injury they should have just given him the one-year offer weeks ago, kept Rolston and avoided this dog and pony show.

This. The team should have said so right up front in its initial offer and not asked for arbitration.

This. The team should have said so right up front in its initial offer and not asked for arbitration.

right, and then parise could've negotiated with other teams and found out what they might pay him next year, plus possibly sign an offer sheet. smart plan.

I know that people say hindsight is 20/20, but it's almost too early to judge this deal. With the inside knowledge we have of the situation (not much), it's too difficult to pass judgement on this deal until about a year from now, in all honesty. Yeah, it sucks having to wait, and I would have loved to have locked Parise up long term, but if Zach really has plans of staying in NJ long term, then this deal is just fine. Again, we don't know enough about what Zach is thinking to judge this deal until a year in the future.

Today's events does not signal anything negative even though a long term deal was not reached. I think most fans should be relieved they didn't go to arbitration.

There was no way they were going to arbitration anyway after Zach publicly broached a one-year deal weeks ago. In retrospect, that was the first red flag things weren't going swimmingly.

Why sign today? why not wait until weds to announce it? Either Zach want to test FA or Lou doesn't trust his knee. Any other reason?

Zach may want to see how the team does too. If the Devils do poorly again he would more likely want to leave.

right, and then parise could've negotiated with other teams and found out what they might pay him next year, plus possibly sign an offer sheet. smart plan.

I find it hard to believe that all the negotiations were a ruse and the team wanted him on a one year deal along. I can believe the team trying to get a long term deal at cheaper than Parise/his agent wanted, then deciding just to go with a one year deal, but the idea that this was all part of a master plan to sign Parise to a one year deal is ludicrous to me.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I think Lou's idea of longterm was 5-7 yrs which leaves Parise in a bad spot to get paid (32-34). Parise's idea was likely lifetime (10-12yrs).

Only my thoughts backed up by nothing... buts that's how I see them both saying they want him to stay long term but not agreeing.... they take a 1 yr pass to avoid a hearing. I think Lou breaks his norm and works on this during the season... if he doesn't then ill be pisses. But as of now, this isn't desirable but makes sense for both sides

Big deal. Don't act like this franchise is completely screwed without him. We got someone who is arguably much better than Parise and actually showed up for the playoffs in 2010. This might set up a trade this season, who knows. As long as he doesn't walk for free...

Edited by Marv4Life

Big deal. Don't act like this franchise is completely screwed without him. We got someone who is arguably much better than Parise and actually showed up for the playoffs in 2010. This might set up a trade this season, who knows. As long as he doesn't walk for free...

Yes Im not the only one, Zubrus is our franchise! Career high 30 plus goals coming up!....Oh Kovalchuk, that's right :whistling:

Edited by Zubie#8

Its entirely too early to be negative about this. He's ours for this year and maybe an exception to Lou's normal re-negotiation routine will be made come January if Zach is off to a hot start.

Avoiding arbitration is a good thing. We have even more money coming off the books next year too. Its not lost until he signs with someone else or is traded.

We still havent had a full season of Zach and Kovy on the same team. While they wont be linemates, I'm very interested in seeing the dynamics over a full season.

I agree. Does Parise help the team? Absouloutley. But i wouldn't give the guy a 9 mil cap hit for a decade. If he wants to be here and wants to win, he will sign a favorable contract. Bottom line.

at least we def have him for this year.. plenty of time to get an extension once the new years begins... it is what it is, and we all hope he gets a long termer

on a more annoying note, 29 other teams idiot fans will say how Parise hates NJ and wants to go to __________

and how he would look great in a _________ sweater

Let the season begin, if hes 100% healthy and things go right, hell be joining the rest of the Devil-for-life players

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this deal. Obviously it is great that they avoided the arbitration hearing and a 1 year deal gives the Devils a chance to see how he recovered from the injury and it gives Parise a chance to earn himself a better payday. Still for the first time regarding Parise being a Devil for a long time I'm legitimately worried. Even if he comes back and has a monster first half and raises his price, I'm sure the Devils will do everything in their power to keep him. However, it has to be tempting as the player to go to July 1st. Hopefully they get a deal worked out and announced shortly after January 1st.

Not really happy with just a one year deal, but I guess it is what it is.

Well per TG..

In 2007, the Rangers filed for team-elected arbitration with goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and agreed to a one-year deal to avoid arbitration as well. The Rangers then signed Lundqvist to a six-year extension the following February.

I guess we are going to find out how badly Zach wants to remain a Devil.

I guess we are going to find out how badly Zach wants to remain a Devil.

Of course we're going to have to wait six months to a year to find that out...god, can we have one frigging season without a black cloud hanging over it already?

The whole notion that Lou said he ran out of time is bullsh!t.

This is what happens when you do everything last-minute. Sometimes it bites you. I guess Lou's still waiting to figure out what the cap number's going to be for this year :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well, I'm not really happy with this. I was hoping for a longer term deal. Zach seems to be a nice guy, class guy and a fan favorite. He is a hard worker and a good athlete. I'd love to see him in Devil red for the next 10 years but so far that's not the case. It doesn't mean he won't be a Devil in the future but this 1 year deal makes me a little nervous. Seriously though, if you are a Devils fan you live with nervous. That's the nature of the team.

Bottom line... I was hoping for a longer deal but I trust management. I'd rather see a 1 year deal then to over pay for a player. I wouldn't want to have to be sad in the future about his contract like I did with Rolston. Not comparing the two mind you, just the fact that the contract could be out of wack if he was asking for too many years or too much money.

Scoops

This is what happens when you do everything last-minute. Sometimes it bites you. I guess Lou's still waiting to figure out what the cap number's going to be for this year :P

yes, that's what happened. even though the hearing is 4 days away, they clearly ran out of time to negotiate a new deal.

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.

We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.

The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.

And if we're serious about possibly trading Parise, our situation is no different now than it was before the contract.