2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Because scoring goals is overrated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You know, I really want to see a line of Henrique - Elias - Ryder again.  Ryder has been playing well despite not scoring.  I think maybe putting him on a line with those two might put him over the hump.  I wanna see it for a full game though.

You know, I really want to see a line of Henrique - Elias - Ryder again.  Ryder has been playing well despite not scoring.  I think maybe putting him on a line with those two might put him over the hump.  I wanna see it for a full game though.

In what world has Ryder been playing well?

Maybe, but he isn't impressing anyone with his defensive effort.  Or his speed for that matter.

He's not good in either aspect for sure.  But that's also not his role.  But the Devils need him to start putting the puck in the net.  I think that's he's got the best chance if he plays with Elias.  Zubrus hasn't played center a lot in recent years, but Pete has no other choice imo.  Unless he wants to use Carter at center.  Elias is being wasted on the 3rd line, and I don't think it helps the team much with him being there.

He's not good in either aspect for sure.  But that's also not his role.  But the Devils need him to start putting the puck in the net.  

this is exactly why he hasn't been playing well, his one and only job is to score and he hasn't. He bring literally nothing else to the table. You can call it bad luck but 23 games now is more than just luck no matter who you play with.

Marty starting against Boston. 

I'm kind of meh about it for the time being.  The save percentage is what it is, but with so few games left in the season, you might as well go with the hot hand. 

Yep, unfortunately Cory hasn't really given DeBoer any other choice but to start Marty this week, he's made it really hard to put trust in him since the Olympic break, which really sucks.

Marty is playing against Boston.

Yeah, Daniel posted that over an hour before you did. 

Anyway, like others are saying, Cory isn't giving PDB much of a reason to put him in over Marty, crazy as it sounds.  Hope Cory pulls it together soon.  Even if Marty has been decent overall in his last five (and benefitted from some goal support before the Tampa nightmare), no way I can expect him to continue that.   

my point now is... can we REALLY say one goalie is giving us a better chance to win than the other, and considering we are not out yet but LETS SAY we'd be out for sure.

Well the answer to me is still Cory, the guy is our future (and well not even sure he will be so far) seems to me that you want to look at the future and work on that in this situation. Whats the point of giving more starts to a guy on his last leg? We have a guy to make happy and to make sure he gains confidence and that he become our guy. 

Same logic with Larsson, whats the point of risking ruining him instead of helping him and play old vets that will be gone very soon and that are not bringing much more now? so fvcking frustrating

my point now is... can we REALLY say one goalie is giving us a better chance to win than the other, and considering we are not out yet but LETS SAY we'd be out for sure.

Well the answer to me is still Cory, the guy is our future (and well not even sure he will be so far) seems to me that you want to look at the future and work on that in this situation. Whats the point of giving more starts to a guy on his last leg? We have a guy to make happy and to make sure he gains confidence and that he become our guy. 

Same logic with Larsson, whats the point of risking ruining him instead of helping him and play old vets that will be gone very soon and that are not bringing much more now? so fvcking frustrating

Can you give me one example of a player who was ruined by leaving him in the minors?

Can you give me one example of a player who was ruined by leaving him in the minors?

of course he can't because it's all speculation. and I'm not saying that to better your point. i'm saying that to better his (first time for everything maybe). if you're stuck in the minors, it almost always means that someone doesn't value you as much as another player. the issue is that it can be wrong. if the nhl decision makers (read GMs) say you're not good enough, then whether you are or not is irrelevant.

larsson CLEARLY showed he could not only play, but had enough tools and flashes that it would be more likely than not a better than average NHLer. lets say, for arguments sake, that lou brings back the same defensemen next year which absolutely has a non-zero chance of happening. hell, he essentially did it this year other than tallinder. larsson's gotta battle it out again and being just solid won't be enough because you could argue he's exactly the same as merrill and the north american kid almost always wins that matchup.

meanwhile hedman is on year 5 with a similar pedigree and is one of the better defensemen in the league.

gotta admit, ruined may have been a bad choice of word but he's CERTAINLY growing frustrated with this unfair situation and this could be bad on many levels.

This is only true if you go by a belief that an organization's job is to make everyone happy. How is keeping a 21 year old in the minors getting big minutes unfair? It's only unfair if you think that player feels entitled to play in the NHL as a 21 year old. I think these players are more realistic than that. He knows to keep working and that when he makes it to the NHL, he'll be a mainstay.

This is only true if you go by a belief that an organization's job is to make everyone happy. How is keeping a 21 year old in the minors getting big minutes unfair? It's only unfair if you think that player feels entitled to play in the NHL as a 21 year old. I think these players are more realistic than that. He knows to keep working and that when he makes it to the NHL, he'll be a mainstay.

well i based my belief on Larsson himself saying he was frustrated lol

well i based my belief on Larsson himself saying he was frustrated lol

Then he can keep working and be ready when he gets his next shot. Players get drafted, and while a team has a responsibility to give them the tools to help develop them into better players, the player also has a responsibility to make the best of whatever situation he is in. Being frustrated isn't justification for an NHL job. He was playing well, got hurt, and Merril jumped in. He will get another opportunity, and when he does it's his job to make the most of it. Meanwhile, there's nothing wrong with him getting into every-game situations in the AHL instead of being in and out of the NHL lineup.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Then he can keep working and be ready when he gets his next shot. Players get drafted, and while a team has a responsibility to give them the tools to help develop them into better players, the player also has a responsibility to make the best of whatever situation he is in. Being frustrated isn't justification for an NHL job. He was playing well, got hurt, and Merril jumped in. He will get another opportunity, and when he does it's his job to make the most of it. Meanwhile, there's nothing wrong with him getting into every-game situations in the AHL instead of being in and out of the NHL lineup.

it's not really about that, it's about the mishandling of the roster again. It's one thing to take it on yourself and admit you're where you are cause you did a bad job. It's another thing to be stuck in the minors and watch Salvador/A-Train play every single night and getting away with murder. 

of course he can't because it's all speculation. and I'm not saying that to better your point. i'm saying that to better his (first time for everything maybe). if you're stuck in the minors, it almost always means that someone doesn't value you as much as another player. the issue is that it can be wrong. if the nhl decision makers (read GMs) say you're not good enough, then whether you are or not is irrelevant.

larsson CLEARLY showed he could not only play, but had enough tools and flashes that it would be more likely than not a better than average NHLer. lets say, for arguments sake, that lou brings back the same defensemen next year which absolutely has a non-zero chance of happening. hell, he essentially did it this year other than tallinder. larsson's gotta battle it out again and being just solid won't be enough because you could argue he's exactly the same as merrill and the north american kid almost always wins that matchup.

meanwhile hedman is on year 5 with a similar pedigree and is one of the better defensemen in the league.

Larsson's in next year because he is waiver eligible - so is Gelinas.  I think Merrill will make the team too.  Still, this is the last chance the Devils have to use him in the minor leagues.  I think it's impossible that the same D return next year and will bet you on that gladly.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=ADAMLARSSON&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=VICTORHEDMAN&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

Now you have to zone start adjust these numbers and adjust for their competition (NJ starts a lot more in the O zone than Tampa over these seasons), but you can see that Hedman is clearly better.

Larsson's in next year because he is waiver eligible - so is Gelinas.  I think Merrill will make the team too.  Still, this is the last chance the Devils have to use him in the minor leagues.  I think it's impossible that the same D return next year and will bet you on that gladly.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=ADAMLARSSON&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=VICTORHEDMAN&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

Now you have to zone start adjust these numbers and adjust for their competition (NJ starts a lot more in the O zone than Tampa over these seasons), but you can see that Hedman is clearly better.

Sort of off topic, but why is no one talking about Hedman as a Norris candidate? I think he's right there with dmen who are around the same age (Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo)

re: pedigree - they came into the league with similar pedigrees. hedman's team was pretty bad and he was given the chance to fail and get better. larsson had a bit of that in year one when they tried to give him everything. they dialed back and then he got subban'd as was out. last year he was not handled right - everyone admitted that. and then this year. he was improving a lot, got hurt, and then wally pipp'd by merrill. merrill wasn't so head and shoulders above him that larsson shouldn't have gotten put back and continued his upward track.