Is this the worst stretch of luck in NHL history?

'7'

Because I can't explain it at this point, I have never in all my years of watching hockey seen this kind of bad luck. The shots, the scoring chances, the posts, the bad bounces. EVERYTHING we throw at the net doesn't go in, EVERY rush ends up in our net. Every shootout OT game we lose.

It's like a 1 in 100000000 bad luck run.

We know Brodeur isn't good anymore, maybe he's still hurt so I'll lay off him...but this team is getting chances offensively. They are doing a good job holding pucks in at the point, they cycle well, they get chances, they set up screens, they crash the net, they outchance the opposition by a lot...they get 5 on 3's. Nothing works EVER.

We have outshot the opposition 61-29 in the past two games and LOST both in regulation. I have never seen a team allow 18 and then 11 shots on goal and lose both in regulation

Take a good look. Because you will never see a better team dumped on by the hockey gods like this. We MASSACRED Ottawa at even strength today

Edited by '7'

'7' is exactly right and why you can't kill this team. this isn't a "bad" team. the parts are there.

the lack of finish is disturbing but there are offensive players that can score - elias, clarkson, zajac - these guys can score. obviously kovalchuk too. henrique and loktionov have offensive ability.

its weird but i feel like i did going into last year - this team is going to have vegas summer odds of 35/1 and i'm going to love taking it.

if you're gonna have the worst luck ever, then at least get rewarded with a top 10 pick.

If you don't score, you don't win.  You don't win, you're not good.

Very simple.  It's more than luck at this point.  This is a flawed hockey team even if Kovalchuk was playing.

It needs serious reconstruction in the offseason.

If you don't score, you don't win.  You don't win, you're not good.

Very simple.  It's more than luck at this point.  This is a flawed hockey team even if Kovalchuk was playing.

It needs serious reconstruction in the offseason.

you don't consistently outshoot and often outplay your opponents and lose 10 in a row. that just doesn't happen.

the reconstruction the team needs is a replacement for hedberg to keep marty playing 40 games, and an additional top 6 forward.

i am convinced that a team like (and this is just an example of what i'm talking about):

kulimen-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-clarkson

zubrus-henrique-bernier

carter-josefson-d'agostini/barch

greene-larsson

zidlicky-merrill

salvador-volchenkov/harrold

brodeur

reimer

could certainly finish with 92+ points next year.

'7' is exactly right and why you can't kill this team. this isn't a "bad" team. the parts are there.

the lack of finish is disturbing but there are offensive players that can score - elias, clarkson, zajac - these guys can score. obviously kovalchuk too. henrique and loktionov have offensive ability.

its weird but i feel like i did going into last year - this team is going to have vegas summer odds of 35/1 and i'm going to love taking it.

if you're gonna have the worst luck ever, then at least get rewarded with a top 10 pick.

i guess this...  we all know that once youre in the playoffs you never know... but i mean... its written in the sky that it's not our year... so if we're really not a bad team, well good if we can add a top 10 player from the draft or wtv in a few years... same as 2 years ago... we were not a team that should of draft 4th overall.

it just really sucks cause i cant handle those losses and all... but its when you get trash talked by other fans and all you have as an excuse is that your team is not lucky... you simply look ridiculous

Sure, they dominate the perimeter and the wall.  Next year when they come back with pretty much the same team and are middle of the pack in the league in scoring goals, it'll be all 'they dominate the front of the net sometimes, but are inconsistent other times'.  What a fvcking crock.

sundstrom is right - if you're in Vegas past July 10 and the Devils have re-signed Elias and Clarkson, put some money down on NJ to win the Cup.

Not all the parts are there obviously.  They need at least one and probably two legitimate top six forwards.  Right now they only have two, and Elias is getting older.  Zajac I've kinda lost faith in as a top six forward, unless we get a Parise clone to play with him.  Clarkson's not a top six forward on a good team.  Henrique's taken a step back this year and we don't know if his celing is a good third-liner like Clarkson or above that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sure, they dominate the perimeter and the wall.  Next year when they come back with pretty much the same team and are middle of the pack in the league in scoring goals, it'll be all 'they dominate the front of the net sometimes, but are inconsistent other times'.  What a fvcking crock.

sundstrom is right - if you're in Vegas past July 10 and the Devils have re-signed Elias and Clarkson, put some money down on NJ to win the Cup.

Yep, because teams with 41 year old goalies, average defensemen (and let's be honest, the guys that are issues are not going to all go away), and have one primary scorer, who doesn't score at even strength, win Cups all the time.

They've played "well" for probably 2 weeks + right now.    But still have nothing to show for it.   Can't get in front, can't get multiple chances, if they get a chance in the slot it's snuffed or flubbed, etc.   You've got way too much faith in this.   It's not baseball.

Yep, because teams with 41 year old goalies, average defensemen (and let's be honest, the guys that are issues are not going to all go away), and have one primary scorer, who doesn't score at even strength, win Cups all the time.

They've played "well" for probably 2 weeks + right now.    But still have nothing to show for it.   Can't get in front, can't get multiple chances, if they get a chance in the slot it's snuffed or flubbed, etc.   You've got way too much faith in this.   It's not baseball.

'It's not baseball' is what people like you said about baseball when baseball wasn't baseball.  But now it's baseball and everything else isn't.

Goaltending aside - and that's obviously a big problem - this is pretty much the same team as last year which made the Cup Finals not as a fluke. And before you yammer to me about Parise, Parise is a rotten ES scorer by percentage also - there's no reason why a guy like that can't be part of a run like this.

'It's not baseball' is what people like you said about baseball when baseball wasn't baseball.  But now it's baseball and everything else isn't.

Goaltending aside - and that's obviously a big problem - this is pretty much the same team as last year which made the Cup Finals not as a fluke. And before you yammer to me about Parise, Parise is a rotten ES scorer by percentage also - there's no reason why a guy like that can't be part of a run like this.

Goaltending wasn't the problem tonight and the same thing still happened.   Do I think they're going to be awful next year?   No, but you're putting way too much stock in a mediocre forward roster that can't score.   For them to be good next year there's going to have to be changes up front.   To control games to the degree they're controlling them and not be able to score, and in most cases, not being able to generate the quality their control should get them... that's a big problem and it's outside the box you want to put everything in.

The explanation for this losing streak is very simple, no Kovalchuk. It has nothing to do with shots on goal, puck posession, puck luck, "driving play" or whatever other sophistry you want to throw out there. Having Kovalchuk qb'ing the power play, especially a minute twenty 5 on 3 dramatically increases your odds of scoring, especially when the guy taking his place is Zidlicky. And you want him at even strength much more than whatever alternative you can think of.

Perhaps an easier way to see the point is to look at things from the other team's perspective. Would you like your odds of winning a lot more if you don't have to go against Kovalchuk for 25 minutes of ice time a game? If you've worn a jock strap you know the answer is yes. The Rangers saw this when Nash was hurt.

And yes, not having Parise makes the team worse off. How much so is difficult to say. But you get rid of him AND have Kovy out of the lineup, and you have a team that is not nearly as good as it was last year. In fact, you have a team that's pretty dreadful, as we're all witnessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Goaltending wasn't the problem tonight and the same thing still happened.   Do I think they're going to be awful next year?   No, but you're putting way too much stock in a mediocre forward roster that can't score.   For them to be good next year there's going to have to be changes up front.   To control games to the degree they're controlling them and not be able to score, and in most cases, not being able to generate the quality their control should get them... that's a big problem and it's outside the box you want to put everything in.

Find me 5 other teams like this in the last 20 years.  This roster can score - not a lot, but certainly more than it has - and Kovalchuk coming back will help the power play a great deal.

Daniel:  Oh please bet with me next year.  NJ's on pace for what, 47 points?  In a full year, let's call that 82 - I'll take the over.

Edited by Triumph

You should take the over at 82 with virtually every team in the league.   That's not much of a bet.   We're 21st in the league going around a point a game.

Anyways, everyone better be pulling for them to be good next year, because the biggest kick in the balls you could have as a fan would be to have a bad season next year.   It's the one year ever that they can't afford it.

This is the same kinda stuff we saw two years ago...they can't shoot 5% forever.  Well maybe not forever but they sure can shoot it long enough to destroy two seasons in three years.  They need more offensive talent, I don't know how many 35-shot 0-1 goal games people have to see before they realize this.

You can shoot a low percentage all day long if you take low percentage shots.    

Sure, and how do we know they're low-percentage shots?  Because they're not going in.  A wonderful circle of logic.  BTW, how many scoring chances do you think were counted for the 1-0 Boston game on NJ's side?

Sure, and how do we know they're low-percentage shots?  Because they're not going in.  A wonderful circle of logic.  BTW, how many scoring chances do you think were counted for the 1-0 Boston game on NJ's side?

So when Clarkson takes one of his floating, unscreened wrist shots from just inside the blueline off the boards, that's a high-percentage shot?  They have at least ten of those a game, with Clarkson leading the team in that category.

Edited by NJDevs4978