2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Curious about others' thoughts, but like I said - Black has NHL speed. I was reminded of Vladimir Zharkov, Eric Wellwood, and I hate to mention him, but Darren Helm and John Madden too (although these sorts of players represent his top top end) - players that can disrupt the opponent's breakout, players whose sheer speed, agility, and forechecking knowhow make up for any other potential deficiencies wrt scoring or passing. On multiple occasions, Medicine Hat defenders were surprised that Black closed on them as fast as he did. I only hope DeBoer and his system stay here long enough that Black can play in it, because if the Devils sign him to a contract, he's going to play in it. On the minus side, I felt his play on the PK was relying on the fact that he has such great speed - his positioning wasn't as good as I would hope, but there's years to work on that.

Scarlett - less impressed with him, though he got some good chances late, made some good decisions QBing the power play. Wasn't enthused about his PK ability or breakouts. Still, I think judging D men off one game is way harder than judging forwards.

Edited by Triumph

I was mostly watching UFC, so I caught most of the first and parts of the rest of the game.

Black was definitely quick and energetic. With his legs and his speed, and being an older player in the league, I'm wondering why he hasn't found a way to put more points on the board.

I'm not sure how to tell a defenseman's actual game from on TV and with a team I don't know. I don't know where the coaches want him or how their system works. I did like that Scarlett seemed composed, kept his head up and looking around, and had really nice footwork with his skating when changing directions.

Thanks for the reports triumph and Devils731! Black is going to turn 20 in a few weeks so I guess he is a guy we will see in Albany next year along with Scarlett.

I asked Michigan beat writer @MattSlovin about Merrill's ETA and this is what he said:

"@onepasthunter Will be evaluated on Jan 2. Could return shortly after if cleared."

Saturday 12/29

OHL

Windsor lost to Saginaw 8-3 (Saginaw scored 5 times in 7:41 in the 2nd)

Ben Johnson LW: Goal, -2

Kitchener lost to Belleville 3-2

Ben Thomson LW: E, 4 PIM (Hooking, Roughing)

WHL

Swift Current lost to Medicine Hat 4-1

Reece Scarlett D: -1, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)

Graham Black C: -2

NCAA

Minnesota defeated Air Force 4-0

Seth Helgeson D: E, 6 PIM (Roughing x2, Spraying the Goalie), 4 Shots, 1 Block

Ohio State lost to Penn State 5-4

Curtis Gedig D: Assist, E, 3 Shots, 3 Blocks

Miami lost to Robert Morris 1-0

Blake Coleman C: E, 4 PIM (Tripping, Interference), 7 Shots, 8/18 Faceoffs

I was mostly watching UFC, so I caught most of the first and parts of the rest of the game.

Black was definitely quick and energetic. With his legs and his speed, and being an older player in the league, I'm wondering why he hasn't found a way to put more points on the board.

I mean, if he did, he'd be a first round pick. Clearly his legs are faster than his hands. Plus they're using him either on the 2nd PP unit or not at all on the power play, that never helps. I wish we had shot data from the WHL but they're stuck in the 1960s - we could see if maybe the percentages aren't working in his favor.

2 minutes for spraying the goalie? :giggle:

I hope he sent a blizzard of snow at the goalie since it sounds like a ridiculous call. :P

I mean, if he did, he'd be a first round pick. Clearly his legs are faster than his hands. Plus they're using him either on the 2nd PP unit or not at all on the power play, that never helps. I wish we had shot data from the WHL but they're stuck in the 1960s - we could see if maybe the percentages aren't working in his favor.

I don't understand why shot and faceoff data is available for the QMJHL and not for the OHL or WHL. I hope this changes soon.

Sunday 12/30

WJC

USA lost to Canada 2-1

Blake Pietila LW: E, 1 Shot, 4/4 Faceoffs

NCAA: 17 GP 10-2-12 -4 28 PIM 20.00 SH% 2.94 SH/GP 56.95 FO%

WJC: 3 GP 0-2-2 +3 0 PIM 1.33 SH/GP 69.23 FO%

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand lost to Gatineau 6-5 (SO) (BLB outshot GAT 40-14)

Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), +3, 8 Shots, 0/2 Faceoffs, Stopped in SO* 3rd Star

Season: 30 GP 17-10-27 +18 61 PIM 16.83 SH% 3.37 SH/GP 35 Hits 50.00 FO%

WHL

Kelowna defeated Everett 5-1

Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), E

December: 11 GP 2-14-16 +9 12 PIM

Season: 37 GP 5-21-26 +13 44 PIM

NCAA

Minnesota defeated Boston College 8-1

Seth Helgeson D: +1, 1 Shot

Season: 19 GP 0-3-3 E 28 PIM 0.95 SH/GP

Monday 12/31

WJC

USA defeated Slovakia 9-3

Blake Pietila LW: +1, 2 Shots, 2/3 Faceoffs

WJC: 4 GP 0-2-2 +4 0 PIM 1.50 SH/GP 68.75 FO%

OHL

Sarnia lost to London 3-2 (London now has a 24 game winning streak)

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, Assist, +2

Season: 36 GP 27-17-44 +14 32 PIM

Windsor lost to Plymouth 5-2

Ben Johnson LW: Assist (PP), -2

December: 10 GP 3-3-6 -8

Season: 38 GP 7-8-15 -8 16 PIM

What (NHL) player has Pietela been compared too? Hopefully I can catch some of the games

I haven't seen any comparisons but I'd have to imagine his upside would be a solid 3rd line winger.

Tuesday 1/1

OHL

Sarnia defeated London 6-5 (OT) (London's win streak stops at 24)

Reid Boucher LW: 2 Assists, +1, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

Season: 37 GP 27-19-46 +15 34 PIM

Just 13 of Boucher's points are from the PP (9-4). Great to see him scoring more at even strength this year.

WHL

Swift Current lost to Lethbridge 6-4 (SC allowed 5 goals in the 3rd)

Reece Scarlett D: Assist, -2

Season: 36 GP 5-15-20 -1 24 PIM

Graham Black C: Assist (PP), -2

Season: 39 GP 16-14-30 -1 12 PIM

I haven't seen any comparisons but I'd have to imagine his upside would be a solid 3rd line winger.

Tuesday 1/1

OHL

Sarnia defeated London 6-5 (OT) (London's win streak stops at 24)

Reid Boucher LW: 2 Assists, +1, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

Season: 37 GP 27-19-46 +15 34 PIM

Just 13 of Boucher's points are from the PP (9-4). Great to see him scoring more at even strength this year.

WHL

Swift Current lost to Lethbridge 6-4 (SC allowed 5 goals in the 3rd)

Reece Scarlett D: Assist, -2

Season: 36 GP 5-15-20 -1 24 PIM

Graham Black C: Assist (PP), -2

Season: 39 GP 16-14-30 -1 12 PIM

If I would compare him to a Devils player(past or present), it'd probably be Pando. Kid's got wheels, doesn't have great hands, but his speed will cause turnovers(breakaway in the QF#1 against the Czechs) and he'll score points here and there. If I recall, early in Pando's career, he was more of a scorer than thought of later in his career. I could see Pietela as a 3rd line checking line guy who can put up 20-30 points on the top end, but his speed and defensive skills will make life easier for his linemates.

If I would compare him to a Devils player(past or present), it'd probably be Pando. Kid's got wheels, doesn't have great hands, but his speed will cause turnovers(breakaway in the QF#1 against the Czechs) and he'll score points here and there. If I recall, early in Pando's career, he was more of a scorer than thought of later in his career. I could see Pietela as a 3rd line checking line guy who can put up 20-30 points on the top end, but his speed and defensive skills will make life easier for his linemates.

Pando was a big time collegiate scorer, scored at a point a game or better pace all 4 years in school. Pietila isn't scoring at that high a clip, but he's been putting up some points, so it seems like he has a chance to put up some offense in the pros and not be a black hole to offense.

Pando was a big time collegiate scorer, scored at a point a game or better pace all 4 years in school. Pietila isn't scoring at that high a clip, but he's been putting up some points, so it seems like he has a chance to put up some offense in the pros and not be a black hole to offense.

Two things to consider -

A: Pandolfo played at a big time school, Pietila does not

B: I imagine the level of play in college hockey has gotten exponentially better since Pandolfo's days at BU. It would be a route less frequently traveled by players who wanted to play in the NHL.

Tomorrow is a big day for Jon Merrill: http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michigan-hockey-to-find-out-friday-if-jon-merrill-can-return-to-depleted-defensive-corps/#.UOYJz8FXGE8.twitter

The Michigan hockey team expects to receive an update on defenseman Jon Merrill’s status Friday, as the team hopes to receive a jolt to a defensive corps that has thinned considerably in the last two weeks.

Thursday 1/3

WJC

USA defeated Canada 5-1

Blake Pietila LW: E, 4/7 Faceoffs

WJC: 6 GP 0-2-2 +5 0 PIM 1.67 SH/GP 64.00 FO%

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 3-2

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal (SH), +1, 6 Shots, 2/4 Faceoffs, 3 Hits

Season: 31 GP 18-10-28 +19 61 PIM 16.82 SH% 3.45 SH/GP 50.00 FO% 38 Hits

Friday 1/4

OHL

Sarnia defeated Windsor 8-5

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, 2 Assists, +3 (Leads OHL with 28 goals)

Ben Johnson LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), -3* 3rd Star

Kitchener defeated Peterborough 4-3 (SO)

Ben Thomson LW: Goal, Assist (PP), E

WHL

Swift Current lost to Kootenay 4-1

Reece Scarlett D: -1, 2 PIM (Holding)

Graham Black C: -2

Kelowna defeated Prince George 4-2

Damon Severson D: Assist, +2

6 assists in past 5 games, 2 goals and 15 assists in past 11 games.

NCAA

Michigan lost to USNTDP U-18 5-3 (exh)

Jon Merrill D: E, 2 PIM (Tripping)

Wisconsin defeated Alaska-Anchorage 5-3

Joe Faust D: E

North Dakota defeated Holy Cross 5-2

Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (Out 2-3 weeks after a cut to his thigh by a skate)

Edited by thefiestygoat