The Official "2012 Playoffs Excitement" Thread

Colin226

The Kings are 1 game away from the Finals and have lost 1 game. Pittsburgh in 2008 breezed to the finals with 2 losses. So did the Ducks in 2003, Wings in 1995 and Hawks in 1992. They all lost when they got there. Ottawa lost 3 games (1 in each series) in 2007 before losing in 5 games to the Ducks. The Flyers lost 3 games in 1997 before being swept and the Sabres lost 3 games before losing in 6 to the Stars.

The Oilers dominated in the playoffs in the 80s and lost 2 games on route to Finals appearances in 85 and 88 winning both times.

Maybe there is something to facing adversity before the SC Finals begin?

I can definitely see LA fold under pressure when being down in the series. They have a young team and they might not be able to face the adversity.

The Kings are 1 game away from the Finals and have lost 1 game. Pittsburgh in 2008 breezed to the finals with 2 losses. So did the Ducks in 2003, Wings in 1995 and Hawks in 1992. They all lost when they got there. Ottawa lost 3 games (1 in each series) in 2007 before losing in 5 games to the Ducks and the Flyers lost 3 games in 1997 before being swept.

The Oilers dominated in the playoffs in the 80s and lost 2 games on route to Finals appearances in 85 and 88 winning both times.

Maybe there is something to facing adversity before the SC Finals begin?

the 03 Ducks and 92 Hawks were both teams that got obscenely hot who weren't that good to begin with. The Blackhawks especially didn't have much offensive depth at all...it was all Roenick. They had grit but very little skill.

The 95 Wings just didn't have the goaltending, and were exposed as soft. They just blew everyone away offensively until running into the Devils, who crushed them physically. The whole adversity/tested physically argument might ring true with them

Yes, they serve no purpose. No one cares about New Jersey, and Rangers already dominate New York. NYC metro area is Rangers territory.

Devils are better off serving people of Quebec City or create new market in Seattle.

Humor me. What team do you like? NYC metro isn't "Rangers territory" it's Giants/Jets/Mets/Yankees/Knicks territory. Hockey is dead last in NY. You hear a lot of so called Rangers fans come out of the woodwork now because they are close to actually accomplishing something again (minus winning one cup in 70 years. If you call that an "accomplishment")

And you say no one cares about the Devils? I believe the devils ranked in the top 5 in average road attendance 5 out of the last 6 years if I am correct. So when you have opposing home teams fill up their building to see their team play the Devils, they dont care right?

Edited by Zubie#8
  • Like 1

EVEN YOUR GOVERNOR is a RANGERS fan. What does that tell you? I live in tri state area, theres NO Devils fans, well, cant say none. Theres barely one in every 100 HOCKEY fans in NYC area.

NYC area DOESNT NEED 3 NHL teams. MLB has 2, NBA has 2, NFL has 2. NYC area doesnt need the Devils.

Ya a man who was a Rangers fan before the Devils were even in New Jersey. Good job. Someone ban this troll.

Road attendance means people care, so that point you made is wrong and we do not have one of the worst home attendance in the league. Your an idiot.

Edited by Zubie#8

EVEN YOUR GOVERNOR is a RANGERS fan. What does that tell you? I live in tri state area, theres NO Devils fans, well, cant say none. Theres barely one in every 100 HOCKEY fans in NYC area.

NYC area DOESNT NEED 3 NHL teams. MLB has 2, NBA has 2, NFL has 2. NYC area doesnt need the Devils.

And road attendance means VERY little, especially if the team cant sell out at home.

Used to think it was because IZod center was garbage and it was. The Rock is a great arena and they still cant sell out. Went to a game against the Isles and less than 10000 people showed up. its a travesty that Thrashers had to move but not the Devils.

Nice to see you answered my question. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheMazz

its a travesty that Thrashers had to move but not the Devils.

:rofl:

So by your logic seven NHL teams has to be moved first before the Devils since New Jersey ranked 22nd in attendance.

Bye bye to Phoenix Dallas Columbus Islanders Carolina Colorado Anaheim and Florida. You sir are an idiot.

Edited by Zubie#8

No road attendance dont mean jack. Why does that matter? devils play in the same division as Rangers and Flyers and Penguins. All have very high attendance UNLIKE the Devils, they all actually sell out every night.

New Jersey has been a RANGERS TERRITORY BEFORE AND IT STILL IS. Devils are not needed! They can better serve the league by moving to QC where they will undoubtly make more money or Seattle where they will create new fans. My issue with Devils isnt attendance. Because they arent the worst, but they play in the greatest sports market in the North America and still do terribly. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THEM HERE. You people are the absolute minorities. There are markets that can use NHL team more than another one in NYC area. Get real. its the truth. Jersey folks can EASILY support the Rangers. No need for Devs.

So you gonna answer me about what team you like?

Oh and what proof do you have that Seattle cares about hockey? Also (as I've said) people in New York don't care about the Rangers...listen to NY Sports radio. When do you hear them mentioned outside of a free agent signing or a playoff appearance? Never. Your argument is the most flawed I've ever heard. Regardless...what team do you like bro?

Edited by TheMazz

No road attendance dont mean jack. Why does that matter? devils play in the same division as Rangers and Flyers and Penguins. All have very high attendance UNLIKE the Devils, they all actually sell out every night.

New Jersey has been a RANGERS TERRITORY BEFORE AND IT STILL IS. Devils are not needed! They can better serve the league by moving to QC where they will undoubtly make more money or Seattle where they will create new fans. My issue with Devils isnt attendance. Because they arent the worst, but they play in the greatest sports market in the North America and still do terribly. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THEM HERE. You people are the absolute minorities. There are markets that can use NHL team more than another one in NYC area. Get real. its the truth. Jersey folks can EASILY support the Rangers. No need for Devs.

Road attendance matters because you said no one cares about New Jersey, I proved you wrong so you stepped away from the argument that 'no one cares'.

The Devils are the ONLY team that can survive a New York Market that is not based in New York. That is impressive and was only possible due to fans. You sir are an idiot.

LOL you said attendance is not your concern but you were the one who brought it up.

Used to think it was because IZod center was garbage and it was. The Rock is a great arena and they still cant sell out. Went to a game against the Isles and less than 10000 people showed up.

And you are making a huge contradiction because you said it is a travesty for the THRASHERS....the ATLANTA THRASHERS to be moved. Ya like a lot of people 'care' about them.

....once again sir you are an idiot.

Edited by Zubie#8

They dont because they have no team. If Seattle did have a team NHL would have a much greater influence there. Thus, team in Seattle being better for the league.

Yea I realize there are very little NHL talks in general on 66 WFAN. But when there is its all RANGERS. Never Devils unless Brodeur sets a record in NHL.Isles arent relevant because they are just horribly managed so I am letting them go. they have an excuse Devils DONT. One of the most well managed franchise in NHL. Lou Lam I got a huge respect for.

I support Detroit Red Wings, so its not relevant at all. From Detroit area. Where NHL is more relevant I have to say.

Look if NHL had no where else they can go that they would benefit better from I wouldnt care about the devils. But NHL needs teams in Seattle or QC far more than a team in JERSEY.

Really? When I watched the Wings this season I didn't see the Joe as packed as it normally is. Tell me do you actually watch hockey or did you just pick an original six team out of your ass? Of course WFAN would talk Rangers - they are bandwagoning NYers that know nothing about the sport and get their talking points from the NY Post. I don't listen to WFAN for hockey anyway so that isn't relevant. Atlanta is a major market and they didn't have a hockey team for the longest time after the Flames left for Canadaland...

Look how great of a "success" the Thrashers turned out.

You sir are an idiot. Learn to type properly while you are at it as well.

Edited by TheMazz

Really? When I watched the Wings this season I didn't see the Joe as packed as it normally is. Tell me do you actually watch hockey or did you just pick an original six team out of your ass? Of course WFAN would talk Rangers - they are bandwagoning NYers that know nothing about the sport and get their talking points from the NY Post. I don't listen to WFAN for hockey anyway so that isn't relevant. Atlanta is a major market and they didn't have a hockey team for the longest time after the Flames left for Canadaland...

Look how that turned out.

You sir are an idiot. Learn to type properly while you are at it as well.

#Winning :cheers:

They say Coyotes need to move to quebec City because they have no fans.

Devils need to move because they have no fans.

Its been over 2 decades with 3 Stanley cups and they still cannot sell out. Or even come close.

its not a new market like Phoenix so thats not an excuse.

Devils do nothing for NHL. They would better serve the league in QC or Seattle where they either make more money or create a new market for NHL. NJ is Rangers territory. And it should be. Rangers and Isles are enough to serve NYC area. Devils are far from needed. Devils need to go.

I Matteau#32, do solemnly swear that this is NOT some dual I.D. I created, nor did I suggest this person come here and start posting.

the 03 Ducks and 92 Hawks were both teams that got obscenely hot who weren't that good to begin with. The Blackhawks especially didn't have much offensive depth at all...it was all Roenick. They had grit but very little skill.

The 95 Wings just didn't have the goaltending, and were exposed as soft. They just blew everyone away offensively until running into the Devils, who crushed them physically. The whole adversity/tested physically argument might ring true with them

I believe the Blackhawks won 11 in a row leading into the finals. Problem for them was the Penguins entered with a 7-game winning streak, as well.

You are right about the 95 Wings. Back then, the Eastern Conference was MUCH more physical than the West. The West was a borderline European league.

As for the Kings, there is a good chance they will have over a week off between games, which is not a good thing. (Now, I will be objective) Whether they play the Devils or the Rangers, they are going to have a MUCH tougher time than anyone they played in the West. Vancouver? When was the last time you saw a President's Trophy team have a goaltender controversy? Last time I can remember was the 92 Rangers and they lost in the 2nd round. St Louis? How many of their players had played in the play-offs before this year? Will say, I am surprised they are up 3-0 on Phoenix. BUT, every hot streak eventually comes to an end.

Actually, it does. There is a reason why several of the smaller market teams were not happy with the schedule format for the first 3 years after the lock-out. Smaller western teams were annoyed they weren't guaranteed to have teams like the Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Penguins, Bruins, Flyers, come into town. Pens for Crosby, the others as they relied on the opposing fans who have migrated to the sun belt to sell out the building. Same for smaller eastern teams when it came to teams like the Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks. I even remember some fellow Rangers season ticket holders not being happy the years the Wings and Hawks didnt come to MSG. Those games are always in fairly high demand.