2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

its going to be the first time since 1987 (27 years) that the devils will miss the playoffs consecutive years .  Yes it sucks this year, but besides the red wings who just get in every year, how many other teams can say this?

and 3 of those misses belong to this idiot of a coach

its going to be the first time since 1987 (27 years) that the devils will miss the playoffs consecutive years . Yes it sucks this year, but besides the red wings who just get in every year, how many other teams can say this?

and 3 of those misses belong to this idiot of a coach

Actually only two misses will be DeBoer's. 2011 was the MacLean disaster where Lemaire had to mop up.

Columbus is playing well lately so this probably is actually the best case scenario, but let's assume they somehow lose to the Blackhawks, Coyotes, and Lightning in regulation, but beat the Isles, Panthers, and also Dallas (that's a make-up game where they're already up 1-0 when Peverly had his heart problem), that's 3 wins for 6 points which puts them at 91.  We can only afford then to go 5-0-1.  4-1-1 or 4-0-2 which would be tough enough as it is wouldn't even do it  Again, best case scenario for the wild card spot that Detroit occupies is essentially the same, having them go 3-3, assuming losses to Mtl, Stl, and Pit, with wins against Buf (2x) and Car.  That would put them at 92pts, and in that situation we'd have to win all 6 of our remaining games.  So...unless one of those teams really tanks and goes 1 or 2 wins in their last 6, and we get 4 or more, then we're toast.  The thing no one erally sees is that we have a lot of the same opponents as them (NYI, BUF, FLA), but the difference being that we lost to them because we're not respected and they played hard against us because they knew they could be us, yet when Det or Cmb plays them they will likely falter and lose because they know they're inferior to them. 

What would be hilarious is if after the weekend is over and we manage to beat Wsh and Car, and Columbus loses to Chi and NYI, we'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot with a week to go, but Columbus has a pretty weak schedule to finish the year and although ours is weak too, there's a much better chance of them holding that would-be 1pt lead or even extending it than there is of us continuing to somehow put together a 3+ game win streak which we haven't done all year.

The worst part of it all is, I truly want to hang on to hope and like an idiot I am going to continue watching the games as the season winds down, praying for a miracle, but in all honesty and reality I actually have almost no hope or faith whatsoever that they'll even make this a photo finish.  5pts seems insurmountable now and frankly I could see this team letting out it's last gasp of air and losing tonight, and basically washing away the last few games, to end up finishing the season 8-9 points behind the final wildcard team.

Columbus is playing well lately so this probably is actually the best case scenario, but let's assume they somehow lose to the Blackhawks, Coyotes, and Lightning in regulation, but beat the Isles, Panthers, and also Dallas (that's a make-up game where they're already up 1-0 when Peverly had his heart problem), that's 3 wins for 6 points which puts them at 91.  We can only afford then to go 5-0-1.  4-1-1 or 4-0-2 which would be tough enough as it is wouldn't even do it  Again, best case scenario for the wild card spot that Detroit occupies is essentially the same, having them go 3-3, assuming losses to Mtl, Stl, and Pit, with wins against Buf (2x) and Car.  That would put them at 92pts, and in that situation we'd have to win all 6 of our remaining games.  So...unless one of those teams really tanks and goes 1 or 2 wins in their last 6, and we get 4 or more, then we're toast.  The thing no one erally sees is that we have a lot of the same opponents as them (NYI, BUF, FLA), but the difference being that we lost to them because we're not respected and they played hard against us because they knew they could be us, yet when Det or Cmb plays them they will likely falter and lose because they know they're inferior to them. 

What would be hilarious is if after the weekend is over and we manage to beat Wsh and Car, and Columbus loses to Chi and NYI, we'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot with a week to go, but Columbus has a pretty weak schedule to finish the year and although ours is weak too, there's a much better chance of them holding that would-be 1pt lead or even extending it than there is of us continuing to somehow put together a 3+ game win streak which we haven't done all year.

The worst part of it all is, I truly want to hang on to hope and like an idiot I am going to continue watching the games as the season winds down, praying for a miracle, but in all honesty and reality I actually have almost no hope or faith whatsoever that they'll even make this a photo finish.  5pts seems insurmountable now and frankly I could see this team letting out it's last gasp of air and losing tonight, and basically washing away the last few games, to end up finishing the season 8-9 points behind the final wildcard team.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

Even with 92 points it shows slightly under 80% chance to get in. We would have to go 6-0-0. I don't see this team stringing together 6 wins.

Also, you are not an idiot for continuing to watch the games. I will watch them too even though I have already come to terms with the fact that we are not making the playoffs. Support your team through the good and bad, etc...yadda yadda yadda. Nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by mrthemike

Philly and Boston know what they're doing. Operation fvck over NJ

Why would anyone even care about New Jersey?... Honestly, I look at Columbus' roster and system, and New Jersey's roster and system, and if I'm Philly or Boston, I'd want to play New Jersey. You think they're somehow scared of the team that lost to the Isles and Sabres in the past 6 days?

I'm glad things worked out the way they did last night. We've been an injured howling dog for weeks; we were better off being put down now than the inevitable happening next week or the week after. At least I can go on with my month of April not giving a sh!t and just go to the games to enjoy watching live hockey 4 more times until September, I'm numb.

Edited by DJ Eco

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

Even with 92 points it shows slightly under 80% chance to get in. We would have to go 6-0-0. I don't see this team stringing together 6 wins.

Also, you are not an idiot for continuing to watch the games. I will watch them too even though I have already come to terms with the fact that we are not making the playoffs. Support your team through the good and bad, etc...yadda yadda yadda. Nothing wrong with that. 

Yeah I hear ya, but when I watch games I have to go out of my way to see them, and most of the time I am suffering through less-than-superb quality and often skips/lags since I have to watch it on a laptop on whatever stream I can find.  It'd be one thing if I lived in the tri-state area and could still watch the game while at a friend's house on a Fri/Sat night, or even watching the game in the background if it was on a bar, but since I'm not then watching the games means me passing up spending time with friends/family on those said days.  When the team doesn't play well and ultimately misses the playoffs, especially in the waning weeks when more than likely the final 2-3 games of the year won't mean anything at all for us, it makes me feel sh!tty and like I am wasting my time because I am really busy lately and I am arguably in the prime of my life, so it honestly gets me a little depressed when I devote my time to watch the team I love and they don't win so I feel like I could have spent my time better and doing something that really matters in life (only saying this because, in the end, hockey is "a game", despite the fact that most of us would say we love the team more than life itself)

Sorry for rambling, I'm just frustrated and anxious for tonight's game.

Yeah I hear ya, but when I watch games I have to go out of my way to see them, and most of the time I am suffering through less-than-superb quality and often skips/lags since I have to watch it on a laptop on whatever stream I can find.  It'd be one thing if I lived in the tri-state area and could still watch the game while at a friend's house on a Fri/Sat night, or even watching the game in the background if it was on a bar, but since I'm not then watching the games means me passing up spending time with friends/family on those said days.  When the team doesn't play well and ultimately misses the playoffs, especially in the waning weeks when more than likely the final 2-3 games of the year won't mean anything at all for us, it makes me feel sh!tty and like I am wasting my time because I am really busy lately and I am arguably in the prime of my life, so it honestly gets me a little depressed when I devote my time to watch the team I love and they don't win so I feel like I could have spent my time better and doing something that really matters in life (only saying this because, in the end, hockey is "a game", despite the fact that most of us would say we love the team more than life itself)

Sorry for rambling, I'm just frustrated and anxious for tonight's game.

Seriously man, enjoy the prime of your life. Missing games for other plans is not a bad thing. Hockey will always be around, but those times with people you care about have a way of disappearing as you get a little older.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I have to miss most of the games this year because of school and work... but i still went to 4 games this year (Schneider win vs Blue Jackets, the Bruins debacle game, S/O losses to coyotes and blue jackets so 1-1-2). I'll be graduating college this year so I'm going to try and go to more games next year (probably doing weekday partial plan or something). But I treat the devils as an enjoyment to life and if they lose, then theres always next year. But, I will always cheer on my boys so LGD!

Well yea, if you got other things to do go do that instead. I'm going to go drink and play some games with a friend today instead of watching the Devs (though i'll monitor the updates on my phone).

Edited by mrthemike

Seriously man, enjoy the prime of your life. Missing games for other plans is not a bad thing. Hockey will always be around, but those times with people you care about have a way of disappearing as you get a little older.

Psh, speak for yourself man. I'll always regard those other Devils fans with social lives as dirty, filthy casuals.

/heavy sacrasm

Yeah, I am trying to.  In fact, fortunately since the game is on NBCSN tonight, as much as I wouldn't mind watching it on my couch in my own home for once rather than the laptop, I will actually more than likely be going out and meeting a friend too, so hopefully I'll be able to catch it wherever we go.