Highest-paying teams in the world

eaglejelly

The list is very interesting, although basketball tends to weigh higher on the list of AVG Yearly Salary because they have fewer data points...all it takes is one Kobe contract to skew everything very high.

On the American front, if we discount all the MLS teams at the bottom of the list, the Islanders (185) are the lowest avg salary team in America, just ahead of the Cincinnati Bengals (184). Lowest BB team is the Athletics (164), and in basketball it's the Pacers (66). The absolute lowest Avg Yearly salary is the Columbus Crew, whose total salary numbers are nearly equal to David Clarkson's cap hit ($2.77 mm) and who's players avg $89K/yr

I know it may seem almost cliche to think this but I am EXTREMELY surprised that there is no nfl team on that list

Cost control + higher number of players = lower Avg Yearly Salary. For every Peyton Manning, there are at least four practice squad scrubs to even out the salary. Rookie salary scale for football also helps.

NFL Football teams also have more people on their rosters than any other sport...but yeah, the non-guaranteed money and salary cap helps keep payroll down. Even if you wind up going $20-30 million above the cap in bonuses and whatnot, you're still going to be behind most of the teams on that list. I am surprised the Lakers are there though, since the NBA has a cap too (though you can go over it however much you want with your own players, you'd have to go like $80 million or so over whatever the cap is to be on that list).

I actually thought ManCity would be #1 and ManU would be on the list somewhere though.

Cost control + higher number of players = lower Avg Yearly Salary. For every Peyton Manning, there are at least four practice squad scrubs to even out the salary. Rookie salary scale for football also helps.

Oh, I thought this list was just highest payroll...if it an average than yeah, I could see where teams like the Lakers would be on it and how the list would be different than just listing who pays the most total money for their roster.

I know it may seem almost cliche to think this but I am EXTREMELY surprised that there is no nfl team on that list

Very few guys make guaranteed big money. The economics of the NFL are pretty much entirely on the side of ownership.