2014 Yankees Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

he deserves 50 games, cheating is cheating!!

i find it funny that pineda got 10 games for pine tar but martin maldonado for the brewers who clearly punched another player straight in the face got only 5. i think pineda should of just pitched wildly and hit boston players for a lesser suspension

i think pineda is not a smart person to do it so obvious in a location where everyone can see. they interviewed farrell after the game and said its not the fact that he did it, its the fact that it was out in the open

Edited by grcenter47

Why does doctoring the ball seem to get a pass?? again cheating is cheating, suspension should be same as steriods...

It's a grey area since pine tar is commonly used by pitchers. It's not like applying Vaseline, KY Jelly, etc. Where Pineda went wrong was being so open about it rather than hiding it on his belt (Leiter and Cone said they did this) or on his hand inside his glove. I wouldn't call it cheating since hitters don't have a problem with it from a safety standpoint. Plus they know their own pitchers are doing it. Pineda just has to be smarter about it like other MLB P.

What I want to know is how did no one in the Yankees dugout see Pineda's neck and/or say something to him? They had to know he was going to be under the microscope. Apparently Lester was so worried about getting caught with something during his start this series that he ended up pitching "naked" and having a rough outing. Foolish by Pineda and the Yankees.

Why does doctoring the ball seem to get a pass?? again cheating is cheating, suspension should be same as steriods...

you're so full of sh!t. Nobody in baseball holds pine tar to the same standards as steroids. Pine tar is used legally by players across the mound from the pitcher just look at their bats.

I don't know what Pineda was thinking. Terrible job at hiding it. Ten game suspension- yanks have two days off so this could just be one start he'll miss.. Not a bad scenario

It against the RULES!! Cheating is cheating

Why are spit ball considered gamesmanship and accepted when it is clearly cheating!!

And I have seen interviews w/ ballplayers who state pine tar is no different the vasoline!

Cheating is cheating

Steroids are just icky. That's what it all boils down to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Cool story. Pretty deflating 9th. Robertson serves up the tying home run to Willingham. The Twins bat around and score 6 runs. That's D-Rob's first real implosion. Betances struck out 5 of 6 too. He's amazing.

A Don Zimmer "Forrest Gump" list (from SI's Tom Verducci)

Zimmer met Babe Ruth (in 1947), was a teammate of Jackie Robinson (1954-56) and played for Casey Stengel (1962). He was in uniform for some of the most iconic teams in history: the team that lost the most games ('62 Mets) and the team, including postseason play, that won the most games ('98 Yankees). He was in uniform for the only World Series championship for the Brooklyn Dodgers (1955), one of the most famous World Series home runs (Carlton Fisk's shot in 1975), one of the most famous regular season home runs (Bucky Dent in 1978), the Pine Tar Game (1983), the first night game at Wrigley Field (1988), the first game in Rockies history (1993), and all three perfect games thrown at Yankee Stadium (Don Larsen, David Wells and David Cone).

RIP, Don; hopefully there's a managerial opening in that big ballpark in the sky.

• 2 weeks later...

I really didn't know what to expect from Tanaka and I really didn't expect this hot start. Small sample size but his numbers are insane for a rookie: 99.2 IP, 10.20 K/9, 1.44 BB/9, 7.06 K/BB, 0.95 WHIP, 0.90 HR/9, 47.2 GB%, 1.99 ERA, 2.69 FIP, 2.31 xFIP, 2.39 SIERA

Scary to think where this team would be without him given the horrendous offense and injuries to 3/5 of the rotation. At least one positive on the team is how great Betances/Warren/Robertson has been, especially with Kelly hurt/not in form this year.

I also can't wait for Nuno to get off the team. Phelps and Whitley have done a fine job stepping in - though I worry about how many innings Whitley goes before he runs out of gas. He's already thrown 65 innings (majors + minors) this year and has never thrown more than 91 in a year (2011). He only threw 67.2 innings last year. Hopefully Sabathia can get back and be serviceable. They say that Pineda is out until August at the least - with his health I just hope they get him back at some point.

It's pretty crazy the Yankees have already used 24 pitchers this year and 8 different starters. The 2nd wildcard really complicated the trade market and it's not like the Yankees have a lot to give. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up landing someone like Jason Hammel whose on an expiring deal, has AL East experience, and is better than Nuno.

another quality start from Nuno.. sike.. got that ERA up to 5.88 and another L

we'll probably have to just sit and take the pain and suffer through a couple more of his starts because I'm betting he's in there until CC comes back.. or Pineda but god knows when that'll be

Finally had the chance to see Tanaka pitch live, what a show! Too bad the offense didn't show up (no surprise). If you get the chance, I highly recommend getting out to see a game Tanaka pitches.

McCann is really bothering me now that it's almost July and he's only hitting .224/.283/.369, .290 wOBA, 78 wRC+. I get that it's a new league, new pitching staff, but for $17M I want a lot better. Hope he figures it out soon. He seems to have random strong games but is mostly terrible.

Beltran is another guy who is struggling (no surprise with his age) hitting .209/.267/.388, .284 wOBA, 74 wRC+. I wasn't thrilled about his deal given all the warning signs but he looks horrible when he's healthy enough to play.

I wonder how much longer they carry Soriano? His D is horrible and he's hitting .228/.251/.381, .273 wOBA, 67 wRC+ on the year. I hate to say it but he looks done.

Tanaka is a treat. He knows how to pitch. He doesn't overpower batters but locates and uses both sides of the plate like a craftsman. It's nice to see Kuroda coming around. Too bad the offense stinks. You can't have Ellsbury as your number 3 hitter. Not that I blame Girardi, who always gets a raw deal. But that should be changed. They brought in McCann and Beltran to bat in the middle of the order with Teixeira. Either move Gardner out of the leadoff spot or shift Jeter. And Jete's has been good lately. He tied Gehrig in doubles again off Price. Steals a base. You can't ask for more from the captain.

I'm also a little concerned about Betances. Not just because I have him on my fantasy team. But because Joe continues to march him out for 2 innings. He finally looked sluggish the other night. Remember it's his first year. Don't burn him out. He's their biggest weapon.

Well this isn't surprising but is disappointing: http://nypost.com/2014/07/04/sabathias-career-in-peril-with-threat-of-microfracture-surgery/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

CC Sabathia’s season is probably over, and depending what Dr. James Andrews finds in the right knee, his career could be in jeopardy.

Sabathia will be examined by Andrews on July 14, and there is a possibility the large lefty will require microfracture surgery.

When the subject of Sabathia’s 2014 season being finished surfaced, Girardi said, “That’s fair to say.’’

Jesus Christ. If you would've asked me to come up with the worst case scenario for the yanks right now, I could not have thought up anything worse than a concern for Tanaka's health.

Luckily it's just inflammation but until i find out that this will only take 2-4 weeks till he's back to form, then I'm uncomfortable