• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sutter's Postgame Comments/Views

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=2

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/01...s-get-an-e.html

I love this coach. He really is the real deal, all about playing the game hard. I love how he makes them work after the game if they don't work hard during it. I find it interesting he singled out Langenbrunner as the only one who gave an effort, I wonder how that makes Elias (2G) or Mottau (2A) feel? I also wonder if he made Brodeur and Weekes ride the bikes, he hasn't in the past, and I'd imagine they didn't have to once again.

Sutter's Postgame Comments/Views

I'm listening to some of it now on the tape...I :koolaid: Sutter. It's not just that most (if not all) of his criticisms are right on the mark - like not shooting on the 5-on-3 for devilsfan and those that think we overstate not shooting the puck.

But it's also that he genuinely takes losses hard, as hard as any fan in the stands, on a blog, on a message board. He cares and asks for that same level of commitment from each player.

well, that sucks hey? :) Nice to see Elias actually score a freaking goal...2 goals..wow....:P

I was at the game tonight, what a disappointment, although the beginning was fun to watch.

The highlight of my night was being selected to participate in Score-O at the 2nd intermission! I was the second shooter, and my first shot JUST missed...I was literally an inch off, if that. I guess nobody at the game happened to film it? Of course it was the one game I didn't bring my camera!!

ugh. just back from the game:

worst crowd of the season energy wise. usually i never feel the crowd is as bad as everyone else claims but tonight it was pathetic.

for the most part, the devils left for the all star break before this game started (excluding elias who appears to be at the start of his 2nd 1/2 hot streak) regardless of the 3-1 lead which was powerplay driven.

after they got up 3-1, it was like they thought the habs were gonna roll over and die. extra passes like it was an all star game became the norm and well, that's how you end up with 13 shots (which i still think is low and wrong). marty was hung out to dry and it appeared that it was a high stick on the questionable goal.

the refs were brutal both ways in this game (linesmen included).

i credit the habs for working hard throughout the game. they deserved the win tonight.

For what it's worth, I feel this post really sums up the abortion we witnessed tonight perfectly. I watched the first two periods on tv and listened to the 3rd on the radio as I had a birthday party to go to. I'm really glad I left the house because I would have probably broke something with the way this team played during the third period. Sherry Ross said it perfectly when she said the Devils got what they deserved tonight. At one point they were being out shot 18-2. Are you fvcking serious? You are playing for the division lead and you have a 3-1 lead in a game against a team you have dominated for years and you completely blow the game in the third period?

I'm going to try and not go overboard with this loss because when you look at the big picture, we are tied for first at the all star break! How many of you can honestly say that they believed THIS team would be in this position at the start of the season. I know I had my doubts. Whatever the case, that third period was a fvcking disgrace. It's really crazy how it turned out because when the Devils blew that second 5 on 3, I kind of felt that it was going to bite them in the ass. I will admit that the calls against Montreal were complete crap, but when we didn't cash in on that 5 on 3, you could just tell that we would regret it later on.

Despite their drawbacks, I like this team, I really do. I feel that there is a good group of guys in that locker room who want to play for each other, but what they did in the third period tonight was a fvcking joke. Maybe it's not that big of a deal but to me it is. These are 2 points that come the end of the season may determine if the team gets in or not. There is absolutely no excuse to blow a 3-1 lead to any team in the third period in your home rink.

You can say what you want about talent, chemistry, lines, defense... you name it. This is a team full of veterans and players who have won before. They are a good team that can win games, but they are not that good that they can take shift or periods off. The only way they will be successful is if they work hard and play 60 God damn minutes for a change. You can't blow points like this.

Maybe I don't know sh*t but I feel that the Devils are better then what they showed that 3rd period. Maybe they're just not good and this outcome should be expected or maybe this was just a complete brain fart by the ENTIRE team. I don't know. I happen to think it's the latter. This is just a really disappointing loss. I just really hope these 2 points don't bite us in the ass come April.

:argh:

Edited by SickMan

well this game was lost when the devils could barely penetrate the blue line on the second consecutive long 5-3 handed to them in a row. did they even get 1 shot on Huet in 90 or so odd seconds they had the 2 man advantage?

oh, and that goal was off a high stick...koivu knew it...

the people in the toronto "war room" are morons...

^^^i agree sic man...this game was a coat hanger abortion in a back alley clinic.

Edited by ice dog

oh, and that goal was off a high stick...koivu knew it...

It's amazing that the last 2 home games we saw more time spent reviewing Madden's goal than Tucker's goal even though Tucker's was much more questionable and now tonight we saw about equal time spent reviewing Elias' obvious goal and Koivu's questionable goal. I have no reasonable explanation on why that should be the case.

It's amazing that the last 2 home games we saw more time spent reviewing Madden's goal than Tucker's goal even though Tucker's was much more questionable and now tonight we saw about equal time spent reviewing Elias' obvious goal and Koivu's questionable goal. I have no reasonable explanation on why that should be the case.

Because this was far away from the goal, there was no way that you could Conclusively tell if the stick was too high or not. The ruling on the ice was going to stay no matter which way they called it. Unfortunately they called it a goal

One thing that bothered me yesterday; while the team was falling apart in the third, why didn

Because this was far away from the goal, there was no way that you could Conclusively tell if the stick was too high or not. The ruling on the ice was going to stay no matter which way they called it. Unfortunately they called it a goal

I don't mind them ruling Koivu's goal a goal or taking a long time to review that play. What is crazy is that they looked at Elias' goal for almost the same amount of time even though it only took one replay on the scoreboard to show it was blatantly in. I think the team is starting to get PO'ed with the goal review process for the team because the team rarely shows replays of goals that are under dispute but they showed the Elias one.

I have to wonder if something is up when Madden's goal the other game apparently gets intense review in Toronto while Tucker's goal got a cursory Rock review only and then Koivu's borderline high stick is reviewed in the same depth as Elias' obvious goal. The Devils goals that are reviewed seem to be facing a higher level of scrutiny than opponents goals are.

I was actually more annoyed when he DID take the timeout

why in God's name would you take a timeout when Montreal iced the puck and you have a bit of advantage of putting fresher bodies on the ice and taking it from there??

I'm guessing Sutter was going to roll the same guys out there because he already felt he had the people most likely to score. So he didn't want to take them off the ice because they might never get back on so he called timeout because the offensive team is going to be burning more energy than the defensive team in that situation.

I have to wonder if something is up when Madden's goal the other game apparently gets intense review in Toronto while Tucker's goal got a cursory Rock review only and then Koivu's borderline high stick is reviewed in the same depth as Elias' obvious goal. The Devils goals that are reviewed seem to be facing a higher level of scrutiny than opponents goals are.

Sutter feels the same way. When asked about why the Tucker goal wasn't reviewed further Sunday, his reply was along the lines of "I thought it should have been reviewed, but what do I know? I'm just the stupid rookie coach."